Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yngwie review from May 5th show in Asheville ,NC

Hey guys,
    Well , I'm just now trying to come down from seeing Yngwie last night! Let me start by saying that the opening band , called Orange Sky, was really good. We throughly enjoyed them.

Yngwie was completely AWESOME! He had great tone, looked great and performed like a monster! He left about a 2 foot section open on each side of the stage to walk through but the whole rest of the back of the stage was nothing but Marshalls! There were a few mess ups by the rest of the band though. One really bad one during "You Don't Remember ,I'll Never Forget". It was so bad that Yngwie announced during the end to the band that'd be their last song for the night. I'd say he took them backstage and gave them all a real good A chewing because when they, thankfully so, came out for an encoure they were smoking! I personally don't mind when mess ups happen live because it kinda puts a reality to the experience. I could tell that Yngwie wasn't happy at all though. He was also pissed at his guitar tech because he couldn't get the acoustic situated either time he brought it out among a few other things. It was so bad the last time Yngwie stepped back and told him to take it off stage and he finished playing the first of Black Star on his electric. I'd dare say that tech may be looking for a new job soon.... The band came out after the show to meet everybody except Yngwie. I was on cloud 9 because I got to sit and chat with Derek Sherianian! He was AWESOME as well and I got him to autograph and DT CD cover I took with me just in case I got to meet him. There were probably about 350 people there. This was a small club setting and it was only about 1/2 full. Yngwie performed like he was in front of 50,000 though! We got Yngwie guitar picks as well! It was a great concert even with the few mishaps. Which like I said didn't bother me or anyone else in attendence but we could tell that Yngwie didn't like the fact that they happened. Anyway, if any of you all get the chance to go see him then by all means go!

Thanks for the review. He's unstoppable man... like a runaway train or somethin'
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yngwie's funny, always the perfectionist, but never really paying for the kind of help to achieve that perfection. this is why he goes through band members right and left, always has.

he overreacts about small errors too. but those musicians know all this and they take his money anyway.

I love Yngwie, he's a true original, and one of the sickest players ever.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Just got back from the show tonight in Norfolk. No hiccups at all in the performance. Yngwie was in a great mood all night and nailed everything. Good crowd of about 1,000 or so of folks from 6 to 60 & everybody stood throughout. Vocalist was damned good, as was Sherinian (no surprise).

I also really enjoyed the opening act. Vocalist/lead guitarist was pretty good. Nice vibrato, but a little wah-happy on his solos. Better than a lot of what's out there right now, though. Here's their site:

http://www.theorangesky.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
          Yngwie's funny, always the perfectionist, but never really paying for the kind of help to achieve that perfection. this is why he goes through band members right and left, always has.
          I'd hate to be in a band with Yngwie, regardless of how much he was paying me. I don't get the impression that he actually listens to or interacts with his bandmates in any appreciable way. He kind of reminds me of that famous Paul Anka "when I move I slice like a fuckin' hammer" audio clip.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion
            He kind of reminds me of that famous Paul Anka "when I move I slice like a fuckin' hammer" audio clip.
            Heh. That's right here: http://www.noisetank.com/integrity/
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Oh my god, that Paul Anka clip is fucking hilarious.

Comment

Working...
              X