Paul Gilbert's Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Gilbert's Setup

I've been diggin Paul Gilbert's tone lately on some Lesson videos.

Anybody know what he uses? ie:Guitars, Amp, FX?

He has F holes painted on his guitars but I wonder if the bodies are chambered cause at low gain he gets a nice woody tone. I love that. I also love his lead tone too! Very warm and saturated.

Any tips would help

bob

Ibanez guitars with Dimarzio pickups (tone zone and PAF Pro?) - I doubt the RG guitars are chambered and I'm not aware that any of the others are hollow (apart from the obvious ones). For the last few years he's been using Laney amps, but prior to that he used Metaltronix, ADA and I believe those Ampeg Lee Jackson heads.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I found this on YouTube.
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Pretty much what you said. He did say that he used the bridge & middle pickup together and turned down a bit for that bluesey cleaner sound.

Man I gotta get a tonezone. It's got a rusty sort of violinish sound. Distorted yet warm.

thanks, bob

Comment

his fx his guitarssss etc etc ..

Comment

"Man I gotta get a tonezone. It's got a rusty sort of violinish sound. Distorted yet warm."
          no it doesn't
          i have one in the bridge of my dean.....cool pickup, but needs an overdrive/boost like the tubescreamer to tighten up the lows a tad....but then again, i think that even emgs need the screamer, so go figure.
          it's a great pu tho....REALLY fat and punchy, with lotsa low mid rumble. couple it with anything but a rectifier and voila, instant metal tone at your disposal

Comment

Paul's got pretty much every pickup Dimarzio ever made in his guitars. I know there was a time when he was a huge fan of the Humbucker From Hell in the neck position. At this point I don't know what pickups he favors but I do know he loves Laney amps and his guitars are not chambered, the F-holes are just vestigial.
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

does he run his pickups in series as well? i had heard Ibanez wires them for him in some way...

Comment

I remember reading in an interview somewhere not too long ago that he prefers non-trem guitars these days. That might be of some relevance if you're trying to achieve his more recent tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
                  "Man I gotta get a tonezone. It's got a rusty sort of violinish sound. Distorted yet warm."
                  no it doesn't
                  i have one in the bridge of my dean.....cool pickup, but needs an overdrive/boost like the tubescreamer to tighten up the lows a tad....but then again, i think that even emgs need the screamer, so go figure.
                  it's a great pu tho....REALLY fat and punchy, with lotsa low mid rumble. couple it with anything but a rectifier and voila, instant metal tone at your disposal
                  I gotta disagree. I've been checkin out other vids where he's playing other guitars like a flying V or a Les Paul or Explorer and that sound isn't there.

Comment

Hey, check this out the sound clips here. He may be using something like the "Germanium Boy"

Comment

Originally posted by circle of the tyrants
                      I remember reading in an interview somewhere not too long ago that he prefers non-trem guitars these days. That might be of some relevance if you're trying to achieve his more recent tones.
                      These days? PG has been using hardtails since I can remember...way back in the '80s!

Comment

Maybe he meant that's all he plays now. I don't own a single thing by him and really know nothing about him, I just remember reading that.

Comment

i love watching him play. He's got crazy huge fingers.
                          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X