Blues recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues recommendations

Ok, I've been on this SRV/blues kick the last few months and I realized that I didn't have any "old school" blues CDs. So I picked up Albert King's "Born Under A Bad Sign" from the used CD store and it is freaking great! I'm looking for suggestions for some other blues essentials to get my collection going. Also, I want to try doing open jams. I'm assuming these "open" jams basically end up being blues jams (I'm guessing people aren't breaking into VH, Dokken, or Rush -lol), so I'm also looking for "required" blues songs to know. Thanks in advance!
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Albert King is great isn't he? He's been in heavy rotation for me lately. Here are a few other suggestions...

Hounddog Taylor is a little obscure but kicks ass.

BB king old stuff, I have an anthology and only listen to the first disk which sounds like it goes from early 60's to the 70's but I haven't actually checked.

Koko Taylor

Muddy Waters

Jimmy Hendrix Blues CD

Johnny Winter (first recording from 1969 is my favorite)

Taj Mahal

Comment

Buddy Guy .Savoy Brown (Kim Simmonds), Jeff Beck First solo album Truth, Gary Moore, Freddie-Albert-B.B. King, Otis Rush, Rory Gallagher Allman Brothers, Eric Clapton & Muddy Waters ECT.ECT.

Comment

I really dig Lightnin' Hopkins.

Alvin
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

T-Bone Walker. This dude was doing all those wild stage tricks Chuck Berry ripped off. He was playing with his teeth, behind his head, etc. before rock'n'roll was invented.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

Roy Buchanan

Lonnie Mack
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Since you're on an SRV/Albert King kick, you need to buy

Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn - In session

Albert King and SRV jamming together for a canadian TV station in 1983 right before Stevie got big.

Comment

check out johnny winter, he is badass.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Joe Bonamassa (did I spell that right?) is a great new blues player that thankfully isn't an SRV ripoff artist. Walter Trout has some tasty licks for sure. I can heartily recommend T Bone as well. Also try Freddie King, great player!

chuck
                "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Freddie King. Fred is essential listening...well, ALL of the Kings, Freddie, BB and Albert...however, Freddie was very revolutionary and brought some great funky elements into the blues, as well as WHITE GUYS!

Buddy Guy brought alot of fire and theatrics to the blues in the '60s.

If you like SRV, you will dig Tinsley Ellis, he is a real ripper....BIG tone.

I am a big fan of Gary Moore's blues stuff, even though alot of purists scoff at it...fuck them, Gary brings a shredder's perspective to the blues...and he rips it up.

Sonny Landredth is a real ripper, especially if you like slide.

Albert Collins, the master of cold...baby.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Coco Montoya, Luther Allison,Debbie Davies and the Vivian Cambell blues CD is pretty good too.
                    RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                    CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                    Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                    Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Whoa viv campbell blues cd? Have to check that out

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
                        Sonny Landredth is a real ripper, especially if you like slide.
                        that just reminded - check out Dave Hole if you want a ripping contemporary slide player.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

I heard some dave hole on a net radio stream and thought it was great. I've been meaning to pick up a cd. Do you think there is a recording that stands out as the best place to start?

Comment

Freddie-Albert-BB- King Early recordings.( 60's)

Comment

I guess I should have explained better -lol. I know all the names, I'm looking for a definitive album from each guy to get me going, i.e. the Albert King album I picked up was Born Under A Bad Sign. So I'll list some cats and you guys give me the best album to get from each one. I did a thread like this a couple months ago for shredders I had heard OF but not actually heard and I got some great suggestions (I'll be updating that thread once I pick up a few more CDs). So here we go:

B.B. King -
                              Freddie King -
                              Albert Collins - (in a blues book I have, the author mentions Ice Pickin')
                              Buddy Guy -
                              T-Bone Walker -

And any of the other guys mentioned, just suggest a favorite album please. Thanks! BTW - I have Zep, Cream, early Beck, etc. I'm looking to get into the stuff that influenced them (or that they ripped off -lol).
                              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                              X