Which EVH model ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which EVH model ??

I've been on an old VH kick lately, and all of a sudden have the bug to get an EVH guitar. Jammed out at a picnic Saturday - kind of open mic/jam - I winged it through "Somebody get me a doctor", "Ain't talkin 'bout love", and "Mean Street". It was a blast
    Love the tone of the original EB/MM models, but don't love the look (or prices !lol), though I will probably get one for the "collection" some day.
    I am considering the following (if/when they pop up used), leaning towards the B&Y VHII graphic - and would like any feedback on the pros and con's of each if you have experience with them.. playability, feel, tone, etc

The Wayne Model (is it the Rock Legend??)
    The Newer Charvels
    GMW
    Pre-pro or early Charvie

Thanks

How about a Peavey Wolfie? They should go relatively cheaply 2nd hand compared to MM or Charvel stuff...

Comment

There is a really nice VHII replica on E-bay right now for a BIN of $750.

Me, I would build one myself before I dropped crazy cash. I have a homebrewed Frankie that is in no way fundamentally different from an Art Series. Basswood body, custom Duncan Hybrid P/U, one piece maple strathead with 1 5/8 nut, vintage non-tuner Floyd and it was all put together with parts I scored from E-Bay. I had Dino assemble it, he is a professional luthier, and it absolutely SMOKES. Total investment is somewhere around $400, the body was already painted with a relic Frankie paint job.

If you want a guitar that is TONALLY equivalent to early VH you need a heavy Northern Ash body and a maple neck with maple CAP, and a PAF style P/U measuring around 8-9 ohms...like the SD '78 model. Those original records were done with a V-Trem...all the way up to Fair Warning.

However, my little basswood mutt nails early VH pretty damn well.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Sweet ! Thanks guys !

Comment

Working...
        X