Lynch's fretboard radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynch's fretboard radius

I'm gonna do a Warmoth orange quilt top Lynch strat copy, of the guitar he plays in the opening the reh video.

With that said, anyone know for certain his fretboard radius?
    I know he prefers them straighter the most, but, I'd like to know the spec so I can have it when ordering the neck. 12-16 or 16 all the way? Myself, I dunno.
    Thanks a bunch and I appreciate the help.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

If you are going to play it, why not go with the radius that you prefer? I can see copping the look, but it makes no sense to use dimensions that may not be as comfortable to you if this axe is actually going to be played...kinda like wearing size 23 shoes when you play basketball because you like Shaquille O'neal.

Comment

Personally I'd do the 12-16 that way You have the best of both worlds
      Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe
        If you are going to play it, why not go with the radius that you prefer? I can see copping the look, but it makes no sense to use dimensions that may not be as comfortable to you if this axe is actually going to be played...kinda like wearing size 23 shoes when you play basketball because you like Shaquille O'neal.
        +1. I love the look and sound of a Fender Strat, but I'd never care to own one with the 7.25" vintage radius! I can barely deal with my Double Fat Strat and its modern 9.5" radius. 12", 14" or 16" or compound is the way to go.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

this may be a completely ridiculous question, and i probably know the answer anyway, but just so i'm clear...

what exactly is a radius?

the fretboard straightness, i guess? the curved-ness of old strats and such?

Comment

It's the curve of the fretboard. Imagine taking that curve and contining it until you formed a circle. The radius of that circle is where the term comes from. The smaller the radius, the more curve to the fretboard. Smaller radii are good for chording but bad for soloing and bending notes (they fret out easily).

Comment

It's how round or flat the fret board is.
              Look down the neck of your guitar and you'll see what I mean.
              Compound radius necks are real popular as they start out pretty round towards the nut, but flatten out as you get closer to the heel.

Edit: Rupe types faster than I do. :-)
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                It's how round or flat the fret board is.
                Look down the neck of your guitar and you'll see what I mean.
                Compound radius necks are real popular as they start out pretty round towards the nut, but flatten out as you get closer to the heel.

Edit: Rupe types faster than I do. :-)
                There was some value added with your explanation of compound radius so its all good!

Comment

Visuals help...

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...eaction=radius

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyMac
                    Personally I'd do the 12-16 that way You have the best of both worlds
                    +1
                    Had some time to think it over abit while at work.
                    I'm gonna do the head to heel 12-16 radius.
                    Thanks gang for the responses.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

lynch has a straight 14" radius.. at least on the Jfrog
                      You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

soap, sorry for jacking the thread, brother!

guys, thanks for the help, its now very clear to me!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X