Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hail to the new KING of shred..Jeff Loomis!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hail to the new KING of shred..Jeff Loomis!!

Say what you will. I met Jeff Loomis ten years ago when NM played for less than 40 folks in the "shred is dead" era..when NU and ebonics ruled supreme..and metal was MIA!!

I been a fan of shred since it's birth and followed that scene very closely..bought anything that had "shred" on it..

At a time when I thought I seen it all, heard it all..I was taken back when I met Jeff and NM..it was something I never heard before. It was "fresh" and what Jeff brought to the table was special..to me it was a "break thru"..such as Jimi, Ed and Yngwie..in a infinites sea of other great players..

I instantly KNEW this was something special..

I remember the day Jeff and I were sitting at a Colombus Ohio dive ..the place was empty..Jeff very stoic ..peeling the label off his beer..bored to tears. At that time I asked.."How does it feel to be amoung the best players in the world"..his response was .."Bill your fuckin' nuts"..humble was he. I saw in him what he didn't..at a time when nobody cared.

This is just a Jack off trade off with Jeff and his hired Rythm gun ..Chris Broderick of Jag Panzer..an amazing player in his own right..

I remebered talking to Harry of JP..and they were VERY bummed about Chris at that time..they really missed Joey Tafolla...Chrish blossomed into what he is today..now they wouldn't trade Chris for Joey for the world..

Enjoy..this is a "off the cuff" trade off that shows the greatness of two very fine player..the best of the "new breed"..long live the new king!!

Yep, a wankfest indeed..the intent here is "fun"..not to be a work of art..it speaks for itself..

Nick sent thi to me..there is another great NM live vid I'll post later..unless Nick wants to..

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do..Jeff always told me that his goal was to bring the solo back to the mainstream..he said that 10 years ago..I think it's working..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zV-...related&search
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Jeff is awesome.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Have already seen that one, but thanks for posting.

I can add that I finally saw Nevermore with a good live sound last week at Wacken, and it rocked hard. Jeff nailed his solos including the Godless Endeavour sweepfest and my personal fave, the Engines of Hate solo.

There's a stream online from the Wacken Open Air which also features some Nevermore songs, so see for yourself. Lots of other stuff too.

http://www.streaming.wacken.com/
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Amazing playing, definitely enjoyed that. I assume Jeff is the one on the left?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert
          Amazing playing, definitely enjoyed that. I assume Jeff is the one on the left?
          Yes..you assumed right..the one with the "fire"..

What I like about NM is that Jeff plays for the song and still kicks your ass in the process..the songs don't revolve around the solo..his solos fit and compliment the context into the writing..the big picture.

Alot of that was lacking back in the day..like Nitro, Vinnie Vincent, and even Steeler and Alkatraz with YJM..

Back then it was always about the solo..you just fast foward thru the dumb song to get to the solo..hell if there wasn't a single solo in NM..those songs would still stand on their own!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

here's the link Bill was referring to.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psBt9...elated&search=

everyone always has thier focus on Loomis , but listen to Van(the drummer) and Jim (the bass player). Van is freaking amazing.
            this is one tight f'n band.
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Loomis is awesome, good riffage and great solos. There isn't a king of shred anymore, the field is so diverse nowadays I always have 10 new favorite players each day!
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

he is cool but chad coggin pisses all over him lead wise mate-shame chad isnt interested in being a pro musician,as he would scare the shit out of anyone,no matter how good they think they are.Jeff rocks

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                  Yes..you assumed right..the one with the "fire"..
                  Well, I think they both were pretty much on fire there....killer on both parts.

What I like about NM is that Jeff plays for the song and still kicks your ass in the process..the songs don't revolve around the solo..his solos fit and compliment the context into the writing..the big picture.
                  Very true, sometimes the solos actually pass me right by and I have to go back a little and re-listen, because they are very integrated into the music and overall them of the song. The songs are not vehicles for the solo.

hell if there wasn't a single solo in NM..those songs would still stand on their own!!
                  True.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

i love those guys!!!

and i missed them at the show over here for a couple of seconds. was talking to a friend when they got out the bus and into the venue behind my back =/

very very tight band. and like said, jeffs solos fit the big picture of the song, which is what makes them even better
                    You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

who is this Jeff Loomis character? I don't believe I've ever heard Bill mention him here before.....
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

lol he is a tamer and slightly less scary version of chad

Comment

Originally posted by jjw
                          lol he is a tamer and slightly less scary version of chad
                          You and Chad need to put out something..PRONTO!!

If it's better than Jeff and Nevermore I'll be the first dude here swinging from YOUR sack..

Seriously..

Comment

Bill you're totally right about Loomis playing for the song, rather than the solo. I great example is NM's song, Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday, if that isn't a great song and solo, then you need your ears checked
                            93 USA Soloist EDS
                            USA HT6 Juggernaut
                            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Tomorrow turned is one of my all time fave songs, that shits just so fucking HEAVY!! Mad lead too, just fits brilliantly. Loomis is one of my guitar heroes, and all three (dime, satch, loomis) play _songs_. Its not about showing people what you can do on the guitar, its how you use it within a musical context. Then shredding faces off for 20-30 seconds every now and then. Get the fundementals correct and you have a solid foundation to shred from.

Comment

Working...
                              X