Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hail to the new KING of shred..Jeff Loomis!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666
    You and Chad need to put out something..PRONTO!!

If it's better than Jeff and Nevermore I'll be the first dude here swinging from YOUR sack..

Seriously..
    well damm it if your going to swing on my sack Bill then i better phone chad up..lol

I have to say jeff is up there with the best of the REAL PRO guys these days.Not only can he do that shit live his tone is fucking killer!He also is a dynamic player with killer modern high tech chops and sizzling vibrato

if it wasnt for chad i would be swinging on your sack..lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jjw
      well damm it if your going to swing on my sack Bill then i better phone chad up..lol

I have to say jeff is up there with the best of the REAL PRO guys these days.Not only can he do that shit live his tone is fucking killer!He also is a dynamic player with killer modern high tech chops and sizzling vibrato

if it wasnt for chad i would be swinging on your sack..lol.
      hahhaa..well thanks..Yeah I agree..Jeff is the total package...he's highly polished, his tone always cool ..he's a awesome riff generator, ..and he really sees the big picture..he plays for NM ..not for Jeff..

Jeff is not a "look at me" kinda dude..he's welcomed so many other great shredders to share lead duties..he's a pretty humble dude..

I tell ya what..I can't hang with the likes of Jeff (i want to)..if he EVER ever needed a good a bass player..I'm there!!

Jim does a great job tho..great dude..he's a big part of that band, I partied with him and Mike Amott for about three hours!!

I get along very well with the whole band..Van says I remind him of his roomate in NYC..he told me that a few times..he's always like dude.."you act and sound and look just like him!!"..I always retort with "man, he must be awesomely awesome!!" ..

There is a lot of very good players out there these days.. alot..that's a good thing!!!

but I got to be very familiar with Jeff and MN before a lot of these players were here..their style is unique and original..it just hooked me like nothing else.

He's my dude...MY very fave!!!!

He inpiress me big time..like myself he don't apply "theory"..whenever giving advise to others..he's always consistant..it's always .."Go for it"..that's his 'tude.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have to admit that I have never listened to a Nevermore tune so I can't comment about those songs/solos. As Bill said, this was just a wankfest, but it's obvious that the dude has incredible chops, as does Broderick.

What really does it for me about this video though is Jeff's tone. Tons of mids, very dry, and it hits like a hammer. Essentially, there is nothing to hide behind...if your chops aren't near perfect, that tone will make you look like fool. On the flipside, if you have your shit together, it's like 64th note fists beating on you...very cool. Broderick obviously has some chops, but he also has a buzzy, fuzzed out tone that you can hide behind. Maybe the video made it worse, but its obvious that it's what I consider a "soft" tone.

On a different note, the other guitar player in my band (Pat Stjernquist) is the brother of Jag Panzer's drummer. He said the guys were pissed that Chris was featured in the "Betcha Can't Play This" column in GW last month with no mention that he was a member of Jag Panzer.

Comment

Very good observation Rupe..I agree!

Yes, I know what you mean about a tone that is player freindly that masks slop..My Marshall stacks do that, I can play the shit out of them ..it's very responsive to harmonics and you can squeal just about any note with that thing..

My Uber is pretty unforgiving..you have to play that fucker..it doesn't let you get away with slop..nope it will show everyone loud and clear..whatever you play..bad or good.

Jeff sounds great all the time no matter what rif I've seen him with..His Krank was the only amp that made his rythms sounds muddy..but his leads still cut thru. That was a bit dossapointing because Jeff's complex rythm are always awesome to hear live.

I saw that Chris Broderick GW article..yep, no mention of Jag Panzer..I like that band. On their last "Casting the Stone" you can instantly hear the NM influence on the very first song..

Jeff sounded best with his Recto..I think that is the tone you hear on that trade off vid..He played a Recto when Chris did rythn duities for NM..I didn't see Chris take any solos when they were here..but he prolly had fun with him at some shows knowing he's a monster player in his own right.

GOR mentioned there is many gteat players out there..he's right..there certainly is..a lot of knew guys on the scene ..

I never thought I would evenr se shred come back again..it sure has..I would never belived just a few short ebonical years ago..that I would see the likes of Loomis, Herman Li, Evergrey, Arch Enemy, COB.and the like on HBB on MTV..sure they always have to mix that in with all the 'fake" metal..but todays fake" metal is much more tolerable that anything remotely Nu/Rap..at least these kids are putting in some effort..playing a solo..even if it does suck..who cares..it's nice to see this back..

The wife and I were watching a VH-1 metal program..and everyone was saying how metal had to die because it got so "gay"..even all the
          "Unplugged" BS..like Dee said.."how Metal is that"..I agree..

Ironically after the progam what did they play..all the same shit that they blamed for killing metal..Winger, Warrant, Poison ect..Jani Lane cracked me up with his .."I'm the Cherry Pie guy" shit..it was funny..he said "I want to shoot myself in the fucking head for writng that song"..it's haunted him all these years..wow..

I don't get the whole hanging on to all the 80's has beens lately..why live in the past..when the future has evolved into something BETTER..I mean I will always have a place in my heart for that dated sounding , cheesy crap..but damn, live in the now and be happy it's here..!!!!

there is alot of great players out there..enjoy it while you can!!

Jeff and NM is MY favorite..period!!

My song writing and tone is more along the lines of Arch Enemy..but NM is the shit..plain and simple..In my book..I gotta big ass book!!

BTW I wanted to mention my favorite secondary NM gunslinger..Tim Calvert..Unfortunately metal didn't pay the bills back in 2000..just over 5 years ago..even the biggest heavy hitters were struggling then..Tim had a family to feed and bailed ..he's a pilot for an airline. He would prolly do well now, I would assume..I bet they asked him back.

Same goes for Matt Barlow..Yo myself amd most he was half of Iced Earth..I know Tim, he's cool and all..but I'm sorry..Matt kicked ass in that camp..that is his camp!

Check into the later Forbidden years with Tim Calvert..he fits Jeff's style like a glove..they are getting pretty old now but listen to.."Twisted into form", "Distortion" and "green"..you could easily see how their styles matched so nicely..

Later guys..I wrote a book on this earl;ier but my PC was being a dick and ate it..so I wrote another one..fuggit!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well, Bill...there are alot of guys out there that still like the music from the '80s because they liked it when it was new, and they still like it. It could be nostalgia, or it could just be a certain taste in music.

By your analogy, you should sell your Cobra and buy a more "evolved" automobile...like, let's an EVO 8. An EVO would be the equivalent of Nevermore. Modern, brutally quick, amazing handling, efficient, utilizing modern technology. Why tool around in a tube framed, fiberglass bodied car with a pushrod motor whose origins date back to 1962 and a body design that dates back to the late '50s? Why, because it kicks ass, and you like it. Same with '80s metal. Sure, some of it is cheesy...but so is a bright yellow cobra, my man!

Nevermore kicks ass, and my appreciation grows everyday..but it is not "easy listening", you have to be in the mood for that assault. Keep that in mind.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Mikey..

My cobra is all modern technology in a retro package..

like my penis..

Billy

Comment

Mikey..

My cobra is all modern technology in a retro package..

like my penis..

Billy
                There is nothing modern about anything on that car outside of the frame. Fox platform suspension components...the Fox platform was introduced in 1979, Billy.

A pushrod 302 with an iron block and heads? Come on, my man...that is old school as it gets. Yeah, it is injected...but the electronics are also old school Ford. '80s era EEC-IV, baby. Roller cam? Yeah, that was cutting edge in the '60s.
                You are driving a new Stratocaster, Bill.

Mike

Comment

Yes the frame..all nice and whatnots..Carbon steel

like my penis!!

I like my new Stratocastahhh..it has a floyd and Dimarzio pups..but looks like Yngwie's..yellow w/ maple..the Yngweenator!!

it's like my Cobra..it's yellow and has a floyd, fuel injection, and stuff..

just like my penis!!

Comment

I don't get the whole hanging on to all the 80's has beens lately..why live in the past..when the future has evolved into something BETTER
                    now way it's better,
                    everything is evolved into pussybands

Steven Tyler who represents the older rock generation said "Younger bands are into jerking-off, we are into fucking"
                    Last edited by Endrik; 08-15-2006, 01:19 PM.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm into fuckin' his daughter..

ummm ..that's about it..

Other than that Aerosmith over the hill boy band..that used to play real Rock N' Roll when they did lots of drugs!!

Comment

yeah after the 70s with the exeption of Pump they sucked, but that's not what I meant with that quote,

it means that there are no real rockstars anymore, no real stadium bands,
                        new bands don't write so good songs as the old bands did, they don't have the real rock'n'roll attitude, all the new frontmans are pussies, they don't have any cool stage presence or charisma, no one looks like a rockstar. Some of the new guitar players are technically amazing but who cares about that when they can't move on the stage.
                        I always thought rock music is supposed to be cool and fun, some cockyness and slopyness and sleazyness are part of it. I'm so dissapointed what's going on right now. Where are the new generation's Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Rolling Stones?????
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Big labels and cooperate music biz won't let that happen E..they got their own agendas..and promote complete shit!!

give the creativity back to the artists..like Nevermore and promote that..instead of promoting shit..promote talent not image..

in the states it's all about "image" and "formulas"..which equal cooki-cutter TRENDS!!

Play some Nevermore in constant rotation 24/7/365..there is a few radio friendly songs that I KNOW would hook big time if given that chance..

Do THAT and you'll have your Big bands again!!!

Comment

Bill, Nevermore is awesome...but I would not expect large scale commerical success. That is musician's music, not made for mass consumption beyond metalheads and guitar nuts.

Plus, they ain't pretty..especially Loomis.

Mike

Comment

Bill you know that rock music is never only about the music. Image is very important IMO. Of corse music is the most important thing but when I'm going to a concert I want to see something cool, I want to see some show, rock concert is like a theater. There isn't any reason for me to go to a concert if the band isn't cool, I can always stay at home and listen to CD.
                              Last edited by Endrik; 08-15-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
                                Well, Bill...there are alot of guys out there that still like the music from the '80s because they liked it when it was new, and they still like it. It could be nostalgia, or it could just be a certain taste in music.

By your analogy, you should sell your Cobra and buy a more "evolved" automobile...like, let's an EVO 8. An EVO would be the equivalent of Nevermore. Modern, brutally quick, amazing handling, efficient, utilizing modern technology. Why tool around in a tube framed, fiberglass bodied car with a pushrod motor whose origins date back to 1962 and a body design that dates back to the late '50s? Why, because it kicks ass, and you like it. Same with '80s metal. Sure, some of it is cheesy...but so is a bright yellow cobra, my man!

Nevermore kicks ass, and my appreciation grows everyday..but it is not "easy listening", you have to be in the mood for that assault. Keep that in mind.

Mike
                                Great analogy, Mike. Although (from your other post) I disagree about having to be in the mood - some of the more extreme stuff I've gotten into the last couple of years, like Atheist & Lamb of God, I definitely have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to it. But Nevermore can be thrown on at any time. Sometimes just sate my need to hear a particularly riff or lick that's embedded in my brain. But usually just because I want to hear it again.
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X