Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hail to the new KING of shred..Jeff Loomis!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Endrik
    now way it's better,
    everything is evolved into pussybands

Steven Tyler who represents the older rock generation said "Younger bands are into jerking-off, we are into fucking"
    oh come on now, Endo. You're listening to Mr Overblown Movie Soundtrack Ballad Guy for a critique of modern music? Aerosmith may have kicked arse a long time ago, and they may kick it again, but they haven't for a long long time.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Gary, read my other post
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Speaking of Loomis, doesn't he look like a bit like Beavis in spots on that Wacken vid?

Comment

i cant wait for his solo album

Comment

I haven't really gotten heavily into Nevermore, but I love their last album "This Godless Endeavour" especially the songs My Acid Words and Sentient 6.
            I have also gotten the Andy Sneap remixed version of "Enemies of Reality", but haven't given it too much rotation yet.

I think they are very innovative and have extremely good chops, but I also feel that sometimes they get a bit carried away (in lack of a better term) with the chromatic sounding riffs and solos...sometimes they really go to town with that shit and I kinda get sonically bored with it

can get a bit monotonous. so even though I like their music and musicianship, I think Mike B is spot on with his analogy - you have to like it for what it is, not for being the latest/hottest/most technically accomplished/etc.

rock on,
            - Rune.

Comment

holy **** what a sweep/shred fest!!!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell
                Speaking of Loomis, doesn't he look like a bit like Beavis in spots on that Wacken vid?
                Did ya ever see that pic of him with me..jeebus..

"Solo Album"????..don't tease..where did you hear this..who said that!!!

I listen every true metal imaginable..much more extreme than NM..I actually got the wife into much heavier stuff too..

We put on NM to go to bed..seriously..it's pretty tame and "pretty" once you get used to hearing really crazy shit all te time..

My wife always says.."Nevermore is way too pretty sounding for the car"..meaning when she drives she likes Arch Enemy, Slayer, Exodus, Lamb Of God, anything "bashing"..I created a little monster!!

About 5/6 years ago she thought Pantera was too heavy..I bust her balls about that all the time..

Nevermore is actually very "easy listening" for The wife, kid and I...compared to alot of stuff I really do like..

My kid worships Dave lombardo, Pete Sandavol, Nick Barker, Hellhammer and etc ..on drums..so he always has that shit going constantly..

When you get used to Cryptopsy, Nile, Cannibal Corpse, Bloodbath, Morbid Angel, Zyklon, Emperor, Deicide, Vital Remains, Meshuggah. ect..NM isn't that harsh at all..

It's like drugs I guess..you get used to them.

Compared to my own writing, NM is pretty sedate..with a lot of slow movements I just don't do..

But NM is a huge jump from the traditional metal stuff of the 80's..all the stuff I loved Ratt/Dokken/Rough Cutt/Loudness/Icon/Accept/Maiden/Savatage/..

I been so balls deep in the underground I find anything remotely mainstream completely unlistenable..I avoid it like the plague..

Radio is Ear Candy for the musically lobotomized..I can't do radio and pop music. Not at all!!

So for me..I MUST be "in the mood" to listen to any Metallica, AC/DC, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Ratt , Dokken..I really enjoyed all that stuff at the time..but I find it very boring now..unless I'm gettin' nostalgic..I still love some 60's music..but must be in the right mindset for that..I been there, I did that stuff..A LOT!!

Guys, I have well over 5000 underground metal cds that I LOVE..I trade off constantly, I prolly traded more than I own..so I expose myself to new metal on a daily basis for years on end..it's all I do 24/7/365..ALL my pocket change goes right to that!!

I'm retired..I stay home and listen to music, that's all I do..I still have stuff from a year ago in the wrapper that I will prolly never get to..I put my monthy order in to The End/Impulse/Century Media..I'm completely %100 obsessed with metal of every genre and sub genre..as long as I get "some" musical value from it..I like it!!

I have bands like Communic, Scariot and so many more bands that are NM clones or try to be..it never comes close..nothing new does.

with all that said..in the big metal picture..in every genre of metal ever made old and new..Nevermore is by far MY favorite band..they have been for ten years solid..

They do it for me in every way, shape and form..they found my G spot!!

There's folks that worship Kiss, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles..ABBA...right??!!

I worship Nevermore..I used to worship VH up to about 10 years ago..not no mo..all NEVERMO!!

I don't care if they're not YOUR favorite band for whatever reasons, that's just not my prob. They are one of the greatest metal bands ever to exist IMO!!

I don't care..don't wanna..who cares...NEVERMORE

Thank You!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Axeman, makes a good point. I had some people who are not musicians listen to some Nevermore and the double bass beats and the low chunky B to C palm mutes made it sound very repetitive to them.
                  They thought it was the absolute rowdiest shit they had ever heard
                  but gave it the thumbs down.
                  Now some musician friends of mine heard it for the first time and (prog guys) and they thought the whole "This Godless Endeavor " CD sounded like what Dream theater was trying to do with "Train of Thought"
                  They all loved it and are now Nevermore converts.
                  Alot of the music we guitarists listen to is really music for other musicians.
                  I would love for bands like Nevermore, Opeth, Evergrey, byzantine SYL etc to get huge mainstream success , but I don't think it will happen. The music is too complicated and goes way over non musicians heads, plus alot of it sounds very angry and that is not going to sell to 13 year old girls (who actually are the biggest cd buying demographic out there).
                  |The 80's hair metal sold big because it ws female friendly, party on Wayne, most of it wasn't threatening at all so the chicks dug it.
                  How many women do you see at a pantera show, or a Testament show?
                  I bet you saw a lot more at a Def Leppard or a Ratt show.
                  Plus most of these newer Heavy bands are not comprised of pretty boys, so the chicks don't have any eye candy to latch on to.
                  If Nevermore or Strapping Young lad looked like Winger, I bet Century Media would have a more tangible marketable product to sell to the honeys.
                  It's a pity so much great talent slips under the radar because of lack marketability to the zombie masses.
                  Mike B also makes a good point, they are an aural assault , alot of peole are turned off to music like that because it's just too much for them to comprehend. You've got to be in the mood for it (and I just happen to be in that kind of mood all the time so bring it! )
                  Last edited by kmanick; 08-15-2006, 09:07 PM.
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I am computerly challenged..

here's a pic of me when my beard was a little baby and Jeffrey!!

We are watching Candlemass together..he went nuts for Candlemass!!!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...a-3a9594276035

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You got the mean metal look down, Bill!
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
                        You got the mean metal look down, Bill!
                        Yeah, that look comes in handy for lots of things..

hmmm..

asking my wife for sex..

stuck in trafiic next to wiggers..

Vinny's report card..

are you talkin' to me..

you know..the usual stuff..

Comment

I do agree NM is an aquired taste..

You KNOW me ..I love these fuckers..therefore I try and turn eveyone onto them.

My initial attraction was the guitar..as always..I realized quickly that thee guys were pretty different. They really stood out from all the bands I liked up to that point.

I know their roots are based in Queensryche, Fates Warning, Metallica and Candlemass..their influences obvioulsy..

They cultivated a sound all their own..It grabbed me instantly, from the very first cd..then I anticipated each release with a certain anxiety..much like I did with early VH..this is true.

Warrel Dane seems to be the common factor that turns people off..I got that complaint a lot. I think the guy writes some of the coolest lyrics myself..theyr'e certainly not juvenile in the slightest..and I love his delivery. I think the dude has a great range, dynamics and writing..I'm surprised I got as many complaints as I did in the infinite sea of "cookie monsters"..

Everyone that was intially put off by them all seem to like them now..or at least aknowleding how good Loomis is..

As far as "marketable" radio friendly songs.. they wrote a few years ago.."Believe in Nothing" certainly is a radio song w/ MTV vid to boot..but in 2000 the mainstream climate was much too lame and ebonical for a song like that..besides it has a guitar solo..and for some reason that was always a no no..

I listened to these guys until blue in the face, went to all their shows..never seen a bad live show..

They are truly great musicians in a great band putting out some really good "unique" music..what I like most is their dynamics, they are melodic, chaotic, extremely complex but always musical..as crazy as the solos are, they're always musical, structured and fitting to whatever context of the song.

Like Mike said sometimes the solo goes by without noticing..I find me rewinding NOT fast fowarding to the solo just to hear it..because my mind drifted off in the music.

I have so many cds that either the vox, writing or whatever completely sucks but the guitars and solos are cool..zip to the solo..next song..zip to the solo..next.

I did that with Autograph last night..remember the tapping wiz Steve Lynch..with that band that sounded like a gay version of VH with down syndrome..those cheesy 80's keyboards, writing and vocals..seriously.."nineteen and non-stop..nineteen and non-stop..nineteen and non-stop... fuck my ass non-stop...zip to the fuggin' solo!!

"My girlfriend boyfriend isn't me"..but it really sounds like "My gilfriend's boyfriend is in me"..:ROTF:

BTW..I used to love Night Ranger..have you guys put that one on lately???...besides "don't tell me you love me"..Holy Gay marriage in Hell!!!
                          sounds like the "pretty in pink" soundtrack!!

That's right..Zip to the fuggin' solo..

Comment

I've been listening to This Godless Endeavor alot lately, and I really dig it. I liked Born, Acid Words, and Final Product right off the bat, but the rest took a while. Jeff is a great player. I love the fact he plays crazy ass shit but doesn't overdo it, and has a great vibrato as well. Alot of the new school shred guys miss this...

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell
                              I've been listening to This Godless Endeavor alot lately, and I really dig it. I liked Born, Acid Words, and Final Product right off the bat, but the rest took a while. Jeff is a great player. I love the fact he plays crazy ass shit but doesn't overdo it, and has a great vibrato as well. Alot of the new school shred guys miss this...
                              Yes..absolutely Steve..I know what you mean!!

Sorry if I been rambling..

you must excuse me..I took a Ambien..wow!!

Man, I'm trippin' balls..I'm gonna post some more..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                                I'm into fuckin' his daughter..

ummm ..that's about it..

Other than that Aerosmith over the hill boy band..that used to play real Rock N' Roll when they did lots of drugs!!
                                1+ and 1+

Comment

Working...
                                X