Alice In Chains!!! F*** Yeah!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice In Chains!!! F*** Yeah!!

They're back!! It's Monday morning, and I can't really think about anything else other than the AWESOME concert I saw on Saturday night in Sioux Falls, SD. I never got to see Alice in their heyday when Layne was still with us (R.I.P, brother), but I've seen Jerry out a couple times solo, and let me tell you, if you were EVER a fan of this band, go see them now! I know - without Layne it's not the same, but William Duvall steps in and does an amazing job without trying to BE Layne. The guy has TALENT. He's a terrific frontman, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather see doing what Layne did. Great vibe from this guy.

Jerry started the night playing his rumored Dean Sig model - basically a LP style guitar with a Kahler. The rest of the night he played a couple songs on his white LP custom, and most of the night he played his G&L Rampages - 3 that I counted. Love that guitar - I had one, but just couldn't warm up to the neck profile (slight "v"), and the position my wrist was in - it hurt a bit. Should have kept it anyway, but oh well... Not sure what he was using for amps, but I'm going to assume it's an assortment of Bogner stuff - I could see a Fish on the sidelines, but there were a number of other things over there as well. He had 4 Marshall Cab stacks on stage though. Mike was playing his white & silverburst basses with three 8x10 Ampegs. There was a Bogner (Ecstacy maybe? Metal grill - could've been an Uber I guess) half-stack next to Mike's cabs, but I'm not sure if that was just a slave rig for him to hear with or if it was for William on the songs he played a little guitar on (yes - he can play as well...) Sean was (and has always been) a BLAST to watch. He attacks the drums!! He puts on a great show, and I'm not one that EVER pays attention to drummers, but I REALLY enjoy watching him play.

They mix was eclectic. Lots of stuff from all the albums - I guess they were playing a few songs never heard live before since Layne was not able to tour at that point. Needless to say, it was impressive. The highlight I think was when they played "We Die Young" - William KILLED on that tune and Jerry, Sean, and Mike were as good as they always are. They finished up with "Would", part of a 3 song encore they hurried through since a lightning storm was on the way. I guess William and Jerry went out and mingled with the crowd a bit after the show, and even headed out to the midway for a bit. The storm never arrived...

Anyway, if they're coming anywhere near you and you have EVER been a fan, go see them!! I hear they're coming to Mpls/St.Paul in November -- if there's any way to be there, I WILL BE!!
    Last edited by chrisolson; 08-14-2006, 10:22 AM.

great review, thanks.

I hope I have the chance to see them this tour.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Thanks for the info. Bought some tickets yesterday for a buddy and me to drive down to El Paso. Funny thing is, he's the one who turned me on to Jackson guitars.

Comment

Tix go on sale Saturday for the October 10th show in Atlanta.

Alvin
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson
          Tix go on sale Saturday for the October 10th show in Atlanta.

Alvin
          Unfortunately, I think the Tabernacle show is sold out already. That's the one I would've been attending, too.

Comment

Scroll to the bottom for the Jerry pics...it's called the Soltero. The same thing as the Leslie West in the other thread.

http://deanguitars.com/summer06/soltero.htm

Comment

This is like Alter Bridge doing Creed songs.
              Last edited by texasfury; 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM.
              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by circle of the tyrants
                Unfortunately, I think the Tabernacle show is sold out already. That's the one I would've been attending, too.
                It was just announced yesterday...did they do a pre-sale?

Alvin
                MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I saw AIC twice this year. I saw them in Dublin and again in Belgium. Both times they put on a good show and I think the frontman did a good job filling Layne's shoes. Jerry was on top form and I was only disappinted by the short set they played in Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury
                    This is like Alter Bridge doing Creed songs.
                    No, it's not. Creed is gay.

They don't even inhabit the same planet as AIC. Scott Stapp isn't dead either, although sometimes I...never mind. He's a pretentious ass with a chip on his shoulder and an ego BIGGER than Seattle. Eddie Vedder is turning over in his grave, and he isn't even dead yet!! Wow - kind of a venomous post, but hey. Just sayin'.

William Duvall isn't trying to BE Layne either. He doesn't try to emulate him. He's doing his own thing his own way, but it WORKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson
                      It was just announced yesterday...did they do a pre-sale?

Alvin
                      Yeah, how could it be sold out already??
                      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Yes, there were pre-sales on AIC's website. They list which shows have been sold out.

Sadly though, I'm not going to the Mpls. show - at least I doubt it anyway. Tickets are $40/ea. + fees to a general admission show. That's a bit steep - it'll end up running almost $100 for my wife and I to go.

Comment

Always been an avid Alice junkie. the first three albums are just too good.
                          I dig Jerry Cantrell, but without Layne it's kinda hard to imagine. I got a call at my office a couple of years ago from Mike starr, the original bassist, he was living down here near Huntington beach in newport just a few miles down the road. He heard that I was one of the last guys around playing and writing 80's type tunes and we were yakking about starting up a new "old" type band, i told him i still play slippery fingered stuff at all times, and that i wanted to have some ratt and halen type tunes with maybe a little darkness to them a la Alice. Would of been fun, but we probably would have both blown up or something . Good lookin' on the report Chris, thanks.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

considering how bad Layne and Jerry were on the H, it's amazing that Starr was the one they kicked out for it.

I'm sure there was more to it than that though, like attitude stuff.
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Im glad theyre back together and doing something. When I saw Jerry's band a few years ago, William was in his opening/backing band (Comes With the Fall) and he not only struck me as a talented guy but as a really awesome and down to earth dude...he took time for everyone who wanted to talk to him. The Bogner on the stage might have been a Shiva as that is what Jerry's been using off and on for a while now...when I saw them William had a Soldano Hot Rod. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Working...
                              X