Nevermore tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevermore tonight

Through a friend I got a ticket for free to the DVD show tonight in Seattle. I'm really hoping they play some old stuff. Anyways, that's all I got, just wanted to share. I'll be back later tonight to give a review.

Comment

That should be something really cool, let us know how it went and the setlist. Since getting into them about 3-4 years ago I have not regretted buying their back catalog, which unfortunatly I can't say the same about other bands I like. I actually wanna know about their tone when you see them, when I saw em a few years ago their tone was great, but I've heard it's kinda been sucking since they've been using the Kranks live. The main reason I wanna know is bands have great tone on their DVD, but I want to know how much editing and work the producer has to do to fix their tone afterwards. Should be interesting to find out, but have fun!

Comment

Dude, if you meet Jeff ..tell him Bill "The Law" from Cleveland said hey!!

Have a great time..I love that band!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801
          That should be something really cool, let us know how it went and the setlist. Since getting into them about 3-4 years ago I have not regretted buying their back catalog, which unfortunatly I can't say the same about other bands I like. I actually wanna know about their tone when you see them, when I saw em a few years ago their tone was great, but I've heard it's kinda been sucking since they've been using the Kranks live. The main reason I wanna know is bands have great tone on their DVD, but I want to know how much editing and work the producer has to do to fix their tone afterwards. Should be interesting to find out, but have fun!
          Well, quite honestly, last time I saw them their tone was horrible, just muddy and flubby (and there was no bass guitar as well). The only time you could really hear anything defined was when Steve or Jeff were soloing. This'll be my second time seeing Nevermore with Chris from Jag Panzer, so it should be fucking awesome since he ruled last time. Plus he uses an ENGL Powerball, usually (though he might use some other gear, perhaps).

Originally posted by horns666
          Dude, if you meet Jeff ..tell him Bill "The Law" from Cleveland said hey!!

Have a great time..I love that band!!
          I usually talk to Jeff every time I see them play, but I don't think I'll be able to pull that off today since everyone will probably be swarming / bothering them.

Review will be posted tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed
            Well, quite honestly, last time I saw them their tone was horrible, just muddy and flubby (and there was no bass guitar as well).
            Krank amps
            http://bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5076968905 <--My Band

Comment

"Krank amps"

Ding Ding Ding, give this man a cigar!!!

I don't like Rectos..but Jeff OWNED with his..

Yeah, they'll prolly be on the bus and whatnots..there gettin' big now..finally!!

Not the days where Jeff and I were sitting in a empty bar bored ..peeling the label off beer bottles.

Good for them..they deserve it!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

well, they used rectos the last time they were here and the sound owned
                You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Okay quick rundown... Not bothering reviewing the opening bands as I didn't really see them and spent time talking to people I've not talked to in quite a while. I've seen Nevermore more times than I can remember, probably somewhere between 12-17 times.

Nevermore wasn't filming this for the full fledged DVD, though they had 2 seperate camera men filming stuff (mostly band shots, very few crowd shots).

Set was somewhat mixed (mostly standards and a few somewhat rarely played tracks), here's the tracks they played...

Nevermore - What Tomorrow Knows (first 2 minutes only - FUCK! I wanted the whole thing), Gardens Of Gray
                  In Memory - Matricide
                  Politics Of Ecstasy - Next In Line (What the fuck? Only one song???)
                  Dreaming Neon Black - Nothing played from this album
                  Dead Heart - Narcosynthesis, Inside Four Walls, River Dragon Has Come, Dead Heart In A Dead World
                  Enemies Of Reality - Enemies Of Reality, Never Purify, I Voyager
                  This Godless Endeavor - Born, Final Product, Acid Words, This Godless Endeavor

Unfortunately, the night was technical issue after technical issue. Their intro track that they were trying to play over the PA wouldn't play right and kept fucking up so they just cut it and walked out on the stage to cheers. Van (I think) was playing to click tracks the whole night, though I detected a couple of pretty major fuck ups from him, which is a bit rare as he's usually perfect. Jim's bass / bass rig was having constant issues after the 2nd song, at least once in every song and after each song he spent time fiddling with his amp or switching to a different bass.

Chris Broderick was filling in for Steve and he ripped it up wonderfully. He used his Ibanez 7 stringers through a Peavey Triple XXX (Jeff's old head), but later I got a closer look and I think he was using the XXX as a power amp for a Sans Amp rack unit, they didn't have enough of him coming out of the PA and I only heard his sound off the stage, though he was really locked in throughout the night with Jeff. A full repeat of a section of a song was dropped at one point and that was the only time he was "off" and even then it was for barely 3 seconds. He took maybe 3 or 4 solos (mostly newer tracks) and he also fully harmonized the first Enemies Of Reality solo with Jeff and it was amazingly epic.

Jeff was using his Krankenstein through the matching cab with a couple of pedals and a wah on the floor, and his tone was pretty much the only thing that was really cutting through the mix well other than Warrel's vocals.. Surprisingly good tone, though the rhythm stuff was pretty muddy, in my opinion. Cleans and solo tones sounded nice, but they had effects layered on them. Every time I see them play Jeff gets better. He was ripping it up nicely the whole night on every song. His solos were very fluid and smooth and it seemed like he spiced up some of the older stuff a bit.

He and Chris had a brief solo duel (while Jim was trying to fix his bass), Jeff threw in some crazy speedy shredder stuff the crowd roared especially at the end of his bit when he started doing some nice sweeping licks and he pointed over to Chris. Chris started off with some speedy picking runs and then started doing some sickeningly clean sweep / taps, resulting in the crowd roaring just as loud as they did for Jeff, he also did what appeared to be an awesome tapping descending lick which ascended back up as well, but the cheering was loud. After that, Jeff played the classical sounding lead section of Demon Driver by Yngwie and ripped it up a bit and they went into the next song...

Warrel, honestly, wasn't good. He couldn't hit any of his higher singing stuff, and he couldn't hold of his screams / falsettos at all. He sounded to be really pushing it, in my opinion, and I just wasn't that impressed. He pulled away from the mic at some key parts and was trying to project higher up stuff but it just wasn't coming out. All the middle / lower stuff he wasn't having any trouble with but the higher stuff was just not good.

Random thoughts

- Jeff and Chris need to do something together band wise. They seem to fit really well playing wise. Perhaps a modern day Cacophony or something?

- Jeff and Jim both seemed frustrated by the technical problems / troubles. Jim's bass troubles really slowed the set down and put too much breathing room in it.

Well, I guess that's it.

Comment

Awesome reveiew, It was like I was there at the show..NICE..

Too bad for all the technical probs..

Beside that and Chris filling in ..it sounded like the last show I seen..

Good call on Jeff's tone with the Krank, that's exactly how I heard it when I saw them..he should play his Recto again..I think!!

This was being taped as their dvd.. prolly not the whole show..yeesh, with all those probs..I dunno, seemed to throw Warrel off too..hehe..

Cool..

Can't wait too see 'em again!!

Comment

the dvd show takes place in bochum, germany, about 4 weeks from now (don't recall the exact date) - too bad that i'm abroad when this show takes place, i would have loved to be on the DVD show.....

but yes, originally the seattle show you just reviewed was chosen for the dvd recording

Comment

That sucks about all the technical problems. When I saw em I think Jeff was using a PODXT in a rack. It was awhile ago and I don't recall if he was just using it for effects, but his tone kicked ass at Lamours in Brooklyn. The setlist looked cool too, good to hear it was a fun show though

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801
                          That sucks about all the technical problems. When I saw em I think Jeff was using a PODXT in a rack. It was awhile ago and I don't recall if he was just using it for effects, but his tone kicked ass at Lamours in Brooklyn. The setlist looked cool too, good to hear it was a fun show though
                          He did use that a while back. Van says I remind him of his roomate in Brooklyn. He pretty much laughs whenever we talk..he's cool. Great Drummer!

Comment

Also, quick correction... He didn't play the section from Demon Driver, it was Jet To Jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed
                              Also, quick correction... He didn't play the section from Demon Driver, it was Jet To Jet.
                              That's the one...

Comment

Working...
                              X