Dokken and Jon Levin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dokken and Jon Levin

OK Dokken is playing two shows at jaxx club here in va coming up, just curious what peoples opinion of Jon Levin is, seems he is playing guitar for them.

He was on their last album, Hell To Pay. He kicks ass (and he's also their attorney)! I haven't followed or cared for George Lynch since he left Dokken, so anybody they get is cool with me.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I listened to part of one of the songs off the new album, it seems like he is a fan of the pings.

Weird dokken is only playing two shows at jaxx, and one out of the country and that is it.

Originally posted by toejam
      He was on their last album, Hell To Pay. He kicks ass (and he's also their attorney)! I haven't followed or cared for George Lynch since he left Dokken, so anybody they get is cool with me.

Comment

Yeah, Jon's tone is very good, very Lynch-like, does the pinch harmonic thing well. According to their website, www.dokken.net, they seem to be pretty busy with a new cd and live cd, a greatest hits cd and Don's solo cd.

Comment

I like his playing and tone but my impression of the material wasn't that strong on HTP..I thought that for Long Way Home too..there is prolly 2-3 song I like on both..

Erase the Slate has about 5 cool tunes on it..a tad stronger..IMO

The writing depends on where Don's head's at..I guess..

Let's see how the new one they're working on is..I hope they keep it on the heavy side with lots of shred. Don really seems to be into the Beatles lately..it really bleeds through, very melodic.

I put on the '90 Don Dokken with John Norum the other day and heard "Crash and Burn"..wow, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout..do that stuff..they definitely could!!

John Norun said he bailed in a interview because Don held him back from shredding on LWH..he said something to the effect to Don.."Why did you call me, anyone could have did this"..

That is when shred was "dead"..certainly not the case these days..

let's see..I'm hoping they put out a strong one with John Levin, and let him shine..it sounds like he's really capable.
          Last edited by horns666; 08-27-2006, 12:39 PM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Norum is a funny dude, he always wants to shred/play solos as much as possible
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Crash and Burned rocked!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paris is burning
                Crash and Burned rocked!!!!!!!!!!!
                YES it does..still gives me chills..have you guys heard that lately..almost forgot how cool that was..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                  Erase the Slate has about 5 cool tunes on it..a tad stronger..IMO
                  I think Erase the Slate is their best album ever. Too bad Reb didn't stick around.

Comment

I think Erase the Slate is their best album ever. Too bad Reb didn't stick around.
                    My faves will always be UL&K , T&N and BFTA..and UFTA with Norum..

ETS was their best since that. I think...very good album ..about tied with Up from the ashes..it's close for me..

That's what I'm hoping for with the next one with Levin..

Comment

Listening to "don't bring me down"..John has a very classic Lynch vibe going..big time!!

Comment

Jon is an excellent player....nice guy too!!

Comment

I would assume Jon could nail all the classic Lynch stuff live..he sounds like he could easily. I don't care for some of the writing on HTP, just listened to it again..but his playing is stellar!!!

They'll prolly pick it up a notch now..I'm betting.

Comment

I enjoyed HTP. Not their best material, but it still rocked & Jon's playing smoked.

Jon Levin & Paul McCarthy = best songwriting partnership evah!
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Wow...their best ever? Maybe for the guy who prefers SPAM over a nice tenderloin

It was their best post-Lynch album but I think it pales compared to T&N, UL&K, and BFTA.

To each their own I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X