Def Lep and Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Def Lep and Journey

I saw Def Lepard and Journey last night in Ames, Iowa. I hadn't seen Lep since the 80's they were real good. Not great, but still really good.

Journey on the other hand really kicked ass (yes, I know that sounds odd). They were super energetic, real fun show. They definitely sound a bit heavier live although they still have the cheesy ballads of course.

Jeff Scot Soto sang for them, wow that dude was awesome. I'd definitely recommend catching Journey if they come to your town, Neal is a badass guitarist.

What happened to Steve Augeri was he sick? I had a chance to see Journey back in 01 shortly after 9/11 it was a festival concert type thing must have been 10 - 15 acts that night and Journey closed the show. they kicked ass that night... neal schon will simply amaze you.
    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
    Amp... Pioneer
    Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Jeff Scott Soto sang for Journey???????
      "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Originally posted by 777
        Jeff Scott Soto sang for Journey???????
        Yes, their other guy is sick or something. Soto didn't try to sound exactly like Steve Perry, but he has a great voice and awesome stage presence. He made their show fun to watch....of course Neal made it fun to listen to.

Comment

Steve has a problem with his throat that has left him unableto sing. It may be permanent too. Jeff is a fill in for the tour. In hopes that Steve will get his voice back through surgery and therapy. But time will tell.
          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK
            Steve has a problem with his throat that has left him unableto sing. It may be permanent too. Jeff is a fill in for the tour. In hopes that Steve will get his voice back through surgery and therapy. But time will tell.
            Gil
            wasn't the story that someone found them using a vocal track of Steve Perry's voice and Augeri wasn't really singing the stuff and all of a sudden he was "ailing" and unavailable. this was discussed a few months back.

I thought it was some kind of lipsynching scandal, did that get proven or debunked?
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Steve Augeri can hold his own with almost anyone. He's certainly in the same league as Perry. I've seen them live - it wasn't faked. Check out the 2001 dvd if you want to see what he's capable of.

He was pretty good when he sang for Tyketto as well, but Danny Vaughn was better for the band.

Comment

Glad you liked the show, the wife and I wanted to see it here in ATL - but it sold out! It was the only show to sell out at Chastain Park this Summer, and they had some big name people coming through. The 80s are back!

Oh yeah, in the paper a couple days before the show (it was in July) they said that Jeff Scott Soto was filling in, and I was like "what?". I just had visions of the Yngwie Live in Japan '85 video in my mind. I would be interested to hear him sing Journey.
                Last edited by jwoods986; 09-09-2006, 11:10 PM.
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Here is a short clip of Jeff singing with them. Audio is not great but at least you'll get a feel for what they sound like: http://youtube.com/watch?v=z22WFzYXH2E

Comment

Augieri has a throat problem and was sent home. Jeff Scott Soto worked with Neil Schon before and is a totally professional, kick ass singer and was called in. So far, I haven't read a bad review of him with the band.

As for Schon, I realize he's good, but I never liked him. Always thought his solo tone/effects was way to muddy, never could really hear what he's playing that clearly.

Comment

I saw Def and Journey in Minneapolis a couple months ago. Augeri stand in was great. He had great stage presence and is a great vocalist even my wife approved and she is a diehard Journey fan. Neil was great also. Def Leppard was good to. Joe was struggling to hit some of the highs but Phil and Viv made up for it. I would go see them again.

MR Hiwatt
                      Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
                      RR1 Black
                      RR1 Blue ghost flames
                      Stealth EX
                      Hamer Studio
                      Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Originally posted by mrhiwatt
                        I saw Def and Journey in Minneapolis a couple months ago. Augeri stand in was great. He had great stage presence and is a great vocalist even my wife approved and she is a diehard Journey fan. Neil was great also. Def Leppard was good to. Joe was struggling to hit some of the highs but Phil and Viv made up for it. I would go see them again.

MR Hiwatt
                        Are you sure that was Steve? I think Jeff was singing by then. I was going to go to that concert, but had schedule conflicts. It seems that I was bummed out because I found out JSS was to be singing and really wanted to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson
                          Are you sure that was Steve? I think Jeff was singing by then. I was going to go to that concert, but had schedule conflicts. It seems that I was bummed out because I found out JSS was to be singing and really wanted to see that.
                          He wrote "stand in"...he didn't say it was Steve.

Comment

I just caught them in Phx a few weeks ago. And your right, Jouney kicked ass. I was 15 ft away from Neal all night. The only problem I had with them was Ross's chicklet implants in his mouth reflecting all the light right into my eyes..Thus blinding me. Jeff sounded prety dam good as did Dean singing a few of the main vocals. Great show. Catch it if you can. Just bring sunglasses to block out chicklet glare.
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

A little off topic, but do you remember Neal Schon and Jan Hammer? I thought this stuff was great. You gotta watch it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RifFDkVXqhs

Comment

Working...
                              X