Mick Mars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Mars?

I was just watching the carnival of sins DVD my friend gave me and something struck me.After all those years of hearing my friends make fun of him saying he was a crappy guitar player and never really bieng a big motley fan myself I was surprised at how good a guitar player he is.Just wondering what your thoughts are on his playing.

the tightest rock guitar player ever, he makes no mistakes when he is playing rhythm, he fits very well with Mötley's powerfull rhythm section.
    Also he is a great songwriter and can come up with amazing riffs. I dig his bluesy ideas and his slide playing too.
    As far as lead playing is concerned it's a hit or miss. Sometimes he is sloppy as hell, sometimes he amazes you. Probably because of his illness. One thing that suprised me is that how he developed his vibrato in a last few years, it was pretty much non-existent before but as you can see he is doing some slow and wide vibratos on Carnival Of Sins. I think the new Mötley album will be badass.

btw. Mick has one of the best guitar tones too.
    Last edited by Endrik; 09-09-2006, 02:44 AM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yeah to me Mick is a solid rock guitar player. Not gonna blow your doors off, but he definitely keeps everything together.

Comment

he has always been one of my favorite players, not the fastest, not the most technical, but he has always played with heart. Home sweet home is one of my favorite solo's of all time.

Comment

Not much of a lead player but when I saw them live (many moons ago)
          his live sound was incredible.
          He is a good rhythm player.
          I feel bad for the guy, what a horrific disease to get.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I've always thought he gets more crap than deserved. He has some really memorable solos (Home Sweet Home, Smokin in the Boys Room, Too Young to Fall In love...) and he does have some admirable slide playing going on.

I think he's a great fit for the band and when I saw them on tour last year he played everything perfectly.

Comment

He is spot on live.Not incredibly fast but still pretty damn fast.His trem works is clean as hell.Kick start my heart is bad ass.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The older I get, the more of a Mick Mars fan I become. He's great live, and I really dig how he tunes to standard D. He's just got that big fat ass tone. Definitely a better guitarist than he gets credit for. He totally blew me away live, and because of that I have much more respect for him as a player because of it.

Comment

I spoke with Jim Roplh who used to wind pickups for Mick and he said Mick was very laid back a quite a nice guy.I have 2 pickups that were made for Mick and they have hugh fat tone.Jim Rolph lives in Northern Ky.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I am going to see them in november when they come around.Never seen the live.

Comment

Yup, I'll be seeing them on Sept 16.

Comment

Solid tone, solid riffs, what more do you need? He doesn't need to shred, he's got the riffs that are instantly memorable.
                        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                          I spoke with Jim Roplh who used to wind pickups for Mick and he said Mick was very laid back a quite a nice guy.I have 2 pickups that were made for Mick and they have hugh fat tone.Jim Rolph lives in Northern Ky.
                          could you talk more about those pickups?
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

you know, I saw them this past year on the carnival tour and felt the same way - I used to think he was average back in the day, but I came away thinking the guy nailed everything and sounded great doing it.
                            Rock on Mick!

Comment

I really dig Mick's tone on Feelgood. That's prolly my ideal sound. Expensive too - SLO100's and Bradshaw gizmos. I'd have to "settle" for an X-99 with my VHT 2902 and G-Major.

Crue is coming to my area and I wanna go. I've never seen them. When all those bands were area huge, I was too poor to buy tix. I was so po' I was repairing my guitar strings 'cause I couldn't afford new ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X