Phil Collen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Collen

I think Phil is very underrated as a lead guitar player. All the guys are always talking how badass Viv is/was and how he can smoke Phil's ass if he wants to.
    I think it's not true at all. Phil has a fantastic vibrato, tone and phrasing (a lot better than Viv ever had as far as these 3 things are concerned) He also can write very memoriable solos. And if he is blazing then he can keep up with the best of 'em IMO. But he holds back and doesn't show his chops too much, it's probably the reason why people don't think much of him. I think it would be cool if he would shred a little bit more.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

I like Phil's playing, but in all the live footage I've seen, he's using so many effects that you can't really tell how good his technique is.....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

He is a very solid player technique-wise, no doubts there. But what makes him really stand out is just how f´ing cool pretty much all his solos are. Very well thought out, and perfectly executed.

Comment

+1. His solos are so good, it's scary. I still can't figure out why he doesn't get more props.

I can't get enough of the Adrenalize CD because he plays all of the guitars throughout the whole CD and all the solos. Definitely a coming out for him as a player. Nothing against Vivian or Steve Clark, of course. It is just nice to hear Phil have a chance to stretch out and play over an entire CD without sharing duties with anyone.

Comment

Just saw them a few nights ago, they both kicked ass but Phil definitely appeared to be the "lead" guitarist of the band.

Comment

Viv doesn't even like to shred anymore so he probly couldn't smoke Phil in a speed compitition.
            http://bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=5076968905 <--My Band

Comment

I like Viv, but always thought he was overrated. Great player, but not as hot as his rep IMHO. Phil's just the opposite.

Comment

i just have to ask,

Who IS Jeff Scott Soto?

He seems to have sung with everyone on the planet.

is he just an amazing guy who plays and fills in for any/
                every body?

Comment

Seen the movie called Rockstar (starring ex-rapper Mark Walberg and Jennifer Aniston) ? The band in the movie, called Steel Dragon has Zakk Wylde on guitars and Jeff Scott Soto on vocals. Check out the soundtrack. Especially "Stand Up And Shout" has some amazing vocals, imo
                  "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Stand Up and Shout on the soundtrack cd is sang by Sammy Hagar
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                      Huh? I thought Jeff Scott Soto sang all of Bobby Beers songs in the movie and sang "Stand Up and Shout" on the album.

Michael Matijivec sang all of Chris Cole's parts - all of them (except the very last song, sung by Verve Pipe.)

He sang all of the other Steel Dragon songs on the album.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                        Incorrect Sir. Hagar wrote the song, Soto sang it.
                        Last edited by Big D; 09-09-2006, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Yea, Phil can write a very catchy solo. So could Aldo Nova and hundreds of other solid great writing guitar players. I think Phil gets exactly the amount of props he deserves as a soloist. C'mon boys.. he ain't no Malmsteen or Roth or Lynch, or Macalpine, or Rhoads etc......

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                            Yea, Phil can write a very catchy solo. So could Aldo Nova and hundreds of other solid great writing guitar players. I think Phil gets exactly the amount of props he deserves as a soloist. C'mon boys.. he ain't no Malmsteen or Roth or Lynch, or Macalpine, or Rhoads etc......
                            Kind of funny, especially when you realize that all of the players you mentioned (with the exception of Rhoads) are largely unknown by the general public. So I wonder what kind of props we're talking about?

Sales or credibility from the guitar playing community?

The two seem to be mutually exclusive to me in this case.

Phil's got many shiny records in frames on the wall. Way more than the players listed there.

Kind of sad really....

Comment

No ones knows guitar players, except guitar players

Comment

Working...
                              X