No announcement yet.

WOW,Eddie Van Halen is loosin it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't be serious? Have you even heard Attack and Unleash The Fury? His songwriting is at the height of his career right now. And if you've seen him live lately, you'll know he's a hell of a lot better player than he was in the 80's.

He has also said that himself, he laughed when he listened to live stuff from back then.

But comparing those two musicians is a rather futile exercise...apples and oranges.
    However, comparing personalities...YJM is way cooler than EVH ever was IMHO

Comment

after 5 minutes, you have heard the whole catalogue of Yngwie Malmsteen. Yes, when I first heard Rising Force I was blown through the wall into the street. It was amazing, but it's grossly repetitive, and I'll opt for cruising down P.C.H. with the first 4 V.H. albums blasting over YJM any day of my life.
      When E.V.H. first hit the scene, the players he admired and emulated turned their backs on him like Richie Blackmore, Joe Perry, etc. and treated him like shit when he tried to introduce himself to them, so I guess after all that's gone down, with the inclusion of about 99% of the industry ripping off his style for a pretty good length of time, it is painfully clear that he's gotten a little hard. Eddie's an asshole. So is everybody on this board-lol
      I am one of the high priests to boot.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Actually, I did hear and it and like I said, no disrespect. I don't think he's as good as he was on the first record for one reason - the innovation is gone. The first time I heard Yngwie I was blown away. It sounds like Yngwie now - that's not a knock on him, that's just the nature of putting out an innovative record. It's never as cool.

It is futile, but it's fun!

Originally posted by axeman81
        You can't be serious? Have you even heard Attack and Unleash The Fury? His songwriting is at the height of his career right now. And if you've seen him live lately, you'll know he's a hell of a lot better player than he was in the 80's.

He has also said that himself, he laughed when he listened to live stuff from back then.

But comparing those two musicians is a rather futile exercise...apples and oranges.
        However, comparing personalities...YJM is way cooler than EVH ever was IMHO
        \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

Alcatrazz is what caught my ear...then Steeler and No Parole live.
          Making comparisons like this is like comparing Albert King and Gary Moore.
          Both SRV and Gary Moore are smokin players in their own respect.. but would likely say they owe their style to guys like Albert.
          Yngwie has given his nod to other players, but he always contributed his style to classical composers moreso than to guitarists...probably to set himself even further apart from the herd and escape comparisons.

Comment

And this is what happens when you try to chase an elephant down a one-lane highway with just a bb-gun and a watermelon spritzer. If you only had a bandana to go with that picnic bench then you'd be ready to have a real rodeo.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

ahh.. the sarcasm of a programmers mind?

Comment

I listen to EVH solos, but not his songs. So for me, because of it he is kind of never happened.... YJM, his music is both intellectually interesting to listen to and just enjoyable. IMHO, as always.

Comment

I did not mean to pit Eddie against Yngwie. not at all.

they are different. it just came up about integrity to one's art and Yngwie was the first one I thought of. datz all.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Ed is the only reason why I play and why I'm here on this board..

So you can thank him for that one!!

I have all YJM stuff including instruction vids, import releases you name it..after watching him for 5 minutes live, opening for Dio, I was bored to tears..the only great part of that show was listening to Jorne Lande sing a whole two songs...of course he took a solo or six or more..

When Craig Goldy took a solo during the Dio set, the place went fucking crazy. That had to piss Lars J Ladderback off !!

At least good ol' Lars can still play like a Mo Fo..

ummmmm...Ed...well...I ummmmmm...well. He was awesome!!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                      Ed is the only reason why I play and why I'm here on this board..
                      Sheesh, everything is Eddie's fault now...
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                        Sheesh, everything is Eddie's fault now...
                        Yes Sir!!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

WOW,Eddie Van Halen is loosin it

> Since when did Eddie use anything but white Fender thin picks anyway? Tommy D.
                          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by TommyD View Post
                            > Since when did Eddie use anything but white Fender thin picks anyway? Tommy D.
                            And, if I recall correctly, Ed always held his pick with his middle finger and thumb, so his index finder was always free to do some tappin'. No need to hold his pick in his mouth.

Comment

Saw yngwie with the G3 tour a few years back and I was bored by the second song.while he pionered the neo classical revolution i always wanted to see him do something different.he basically sounded the same as when i saw him open for maiden on the somewhere in time tour.He has never impressed me.I read an interview with him in guitar world once where he was dogging alot of great guitar players as hacks who couldnt stay in tune.

Comment

"WOW,Eddie Van Halen is loosin it"

Losing? lol. Try LOST.
                                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                                X