van Halen with roth or Sammy,your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• van Halen with roth or Sammy,your thoughts

Just listening greatest hits volume 1 with new songs with roth at the end and it just hit me that Eddie seems to play much better when he is with roth.the music is more guitar oriented than when he is with sammy.To many keyboards with Hagar.What are your thoughts on this.

it's a fukkin' joke how muh better the tunes are and how much better the live show is with Roth. There is no comeback to that statement. Sammy can sing, but it justsucks without Dave. Van Hagar just makes me puke. And sammy can sing , that's not the issue, the energy level, hooks, catchyness, coolness, pussmagnetism, ,etc. all disappears. Just my unhumble opinion.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I don't give a rats ass about Van Hagar either. To me it will always be Roth that makes Van Halen work. Those original 6 albums are everything that was ever cool about Van Halen.

chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Evh+dlr=magic

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
        it's a fukkin' joke how muh better the tunes are and how much better the live show is with Roth. There is no comeback to that statement. Sammy can sing, but it justsucks without Dave. Van Hagar just makes me puke. And sammy can sing , that's not the issue, the energy level, hooks, catchyness, coolness, pussmagnetism, ,etc. all disappears. Just my unhumble opinion.
        Very well put.
        EVH + DLR = Magic
        The combination is greater than the sum of the parts.
        The pablum that came out of VH with Sammy at the mic is a disgrace to the VH legacy.

Comment

I may be the only one who feels this way, but I don't draw the line on VH at when Dave left. The last VH record I bought was Diver Down, and to me it was pretty disappointing. Ed still kicked all kinds of ass, they were broadening their horizons & whatnot, but for me it felt like the fire & aggression were fading. Then came 1984. There are only a couple of tunes on that that I can stomach. Hot For Teacher is great. Again, Ed laid down some killer stuff, but most of the songs just did nothing for me. Some people right here on this board love Jump. Some even say it's their favorite VH song. That's cool, all personal preference. I was much more into heavier stuff by that time, and I look back at that song as the point when I completely stopped paying attention to VH.

Comment

DROP DEAD LEGS! None better.

Comment

Sammy had his moments (hell i love poundcake, runaround, 5150, good enough), but Daves moment was the entire Classic Van Halen catalog.
              www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                Very well put.
                EVH + DLR = Magic
                The combination is greater than the sum of the parts.
                The pablum that came out of VH with Sammy at the mic is a disgrace to the VH legacy.
                Well put
                http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

well, to me the SONGS asre better with hagar. VH with roth was a little before my time....i was in the 6th grade when 1984 came out, and it WAS cool....

but i am a songwriter first, a guitarist second, so i prefer vanhagar!!!!
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The DLR era is by far the better of the two. However Eddie wrote the songs during both eras and was responsible for the guitar tones and style. Can't blame Sammy for Eddie's changes.

Comment

Two different bands. I like 'em both.
                      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Yeah, but it was Dave who wanted to stick with the proven production formula that made the first albums so good. Dave pushed Eddie to be a guitar God too. Notice how over produced everything got after...It started with 1984 and Dave didn't like the direction.

Dave just has a certain care free coolness.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I choose Sammy. But I can understand why DLR would be a favorite. He was there first, and a lot of people don't like change. I'd rather see Sammy by himself though.

Doesn't help that I was a big Montrose fan before Van Halen's existance
                          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

LOL. No even a contest, with Dave, hands down. All that shit with Sammy was a big bowl of Sugar-Coated Pussypops. I think falling in love with Valerie made him go soft, and lose his edge. First time I heard the crappy keyboards in Jump, I thought "WHAT THE HELL?!" It sounded like the beginning of the end.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

My VH tribute NEVER played a single Van Hagar tune..ALL classic DLR era..the REAL shit..50 tunes worth!!

But Judgement Day, The Seventh Seal, Humans Being , Source Of Infection and Pleasure dome are KILLER tunes..we nailed those in rehearsal just for fun..never live tho.

Me wise Magic and Can't get this stuff no more was a complete mess IMO..we played those too..I wasn't thrilled learning or playing them..boring to learn, listen to and play..

I think Ed, Al and Mike should get a high calibre singer with lots of fire and balls like Jorne Lande..throw down some pissed off riffs over some double kicks..fuck the keyboards..and end this crap on a good note...IMO!!

But that ain't gonna happen..he's going to try to let his kid sing and play and make dicks of themselves again..that's seems to be the buzz anywho.

Roth's voice is shot to shit and looks like hell..but he was awesome and was 50% VH!!

Sammy..too much bad blood in that camp..and it wasn't that great when there wasn't.

Gary Cherone was a trainwreck!!

This is coming the guy that used to be in a band that played all that shit to the T..we were the closest thing to VH you could possibly get..PERIOD!!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X