Dream Theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Theater

I've been watching their DVD's and listening to their CD's nonstop lately. Though I've been with them on and off since '92 when Images and Words came out, I'm really starting to get into them alot the past few weeks. I'm fascinated by the musicianship they put on display, especially live. Some of their songs are cheesy, but they really grow on ya. Petrucci's obviously a monster player, but I'm really digging Portnoy and Myung's playing too. The guys aren't really "cool" but they are definitely talented.

I know this is old news to most, but I'm a bit of an anti "over meedley meedley" kind of guy and I'm surprised I'm taking to them this much. The over indulgent stuff they do isn't getting on my nerves like most "shred" bands stuff does.

Petrucci is freakin AMAZING. He's pretty boring to watch live, with his really high guitar and lack of stage presence. What's with his weight lifting and giant beard look on their latest DVD? His Rock Discipline video has a lto of really good stuff on it too.

Comment

I think he's trying to cop Zakk with his new look.

My favorite DVD from them is Scenes from a Memory. Pertucci is a little more energetic in that one. Its funny that as time has gone on, his energy level on stage has dropped.

Comment

he's getting old! who cares though when he can play like that.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkerbc2 View Post
          he's getting old! who cares though when he can play like that.
          probably most of the people here who grew up listening to Eddie Van Halen
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I've been to a ton of DT concerts, and even when I went to the first one in 92, JP wasnt running around the stage like a madman. The simple fact is, even though he is a guitar god, I'm sure it still takes a certain amount of concentration and immobility in order to execute as flawlessly as he does.
            www.myspace.com/madeaband
            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Dream Theatre is Symphony X with Down syndrome..
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Try and play ANY of that metric meter/mixed time stuff with the complexity of DT and you won't move around too much either! LOL!
                DiMarzio Endorsee
                www.dimarzio.com
                Morley Endorsee
                www.morley.com
                "Intelli-Shred" author
                www.myspace.com/intellishred
                NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

I really like DT as well.....I'm more into progressive stuff, funky rhytmns and odd timing etc....great band.

The are also a great live band. A friend of mine had a band that opened up for them in Houston shortly after Image came out, it was at the tower theater in Houston....I was away 3 feet away from JP, awsome level of musicianship in that entire band.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Probably my favorite band of all time next to Metallica. Seen 'em live a good couple of times now and they never stop to amaze me and infinitely more interesting than Symphony X (who get really boring really fast)

Petrucci = TONEMONSTER
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Dream Theatre is Symphony X with Down syndrome..

haha you are joking right, the musicianship is of X is no where near as good

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                        Probably my favorite band of all time next to Metallica. Seen 'em live a good couple of times now and they never stop to amaze me and infinitely more interesting than Symphony X (who get really boring really fast)

Petrucci = TONEMONSTER
                        GOR ..really..I seen both bands and thought the exact opposite..

Maybe it's the Labrie / Allen thing..

James Labrie to me was always just OK..where Russel just kills IMO.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Put Russel Allen In DT..I would like that!!

ot better yet Jorne Lande..

Comment

DT and S'X both have really annoying bass players IMO.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I agree, SX and DT need to swap singers. I do like Symphony X though.

That's another thing... Petrucci's tone is awesome. That can't be straight Road King though... he's gotta have a ton of outboard gear running.

Comment

Working...
                              X