Dream Theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
    DT and S'X both have really annoying bass players IMO.
    Being a pretty good player myself, I must ackowledge that both are very fine players..but overplay for the music..IMO.

but I guess over indulgence is a big part of their gig..a lot like jazz I guess.

I'm much more of a "groove" player but could easily handle such a gig as DT or SX..

John has an old vid of my live solo, that would clearly show this..but he has yet figured out how to post it..it is also a rare document of me being completely drunk off my fuggin' ass..I mean fall down drunk!!!
    Last edited by horns666; 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM. Reason: this new feature suck ass!!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      Being a pretty good player myself, I must ackowledge that both are very fine players..but overplay for the music..IMO.
      overplaying doesn't bother me, most of the time they play exactly the same thing as guitar instead of groovin with the drums and coming up their own bass lines so that the whole band would sound more heavier and cooler.

what am I saying, they are not annoying, because I can't really hear 'em

Petrucci would be a good bass player, his riffs have tons of groove.
      Last edited by Endrik; 09-28-2006, 01:03 PM. Reason: beacuse Bill thinks editing is gay
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
        overplaying doesn't bother me, most of the time they play exactly the same thing as guitar instead of groovin with the drums and coming up their own bass lines so that the whole band would sound more heavier and cooler.

Petrucci would be a good bass player, his riffs have tons of groove.
        Both Petrucci and Romeo are absolutely amazing..I gotta give the tone to John but prefer Mike's style..I would say Myung is the better of the bassist and Portnoy is the better of the drummers..

as far as the writing of both bands..I'd have to go with SX..just a tad bit more aggressive and straight forward..which I like.

DT has some amazing grooves and hooks but they start to bore me when they start chasing their tail in over over the top wankery..but like I said that is part of their gig..I'm much more partial to classic DT..

Russel's voice really does it for me in SX ..that guy just kick s complete ass live and in studio..I never heard him have a bad or off night..not a once!

I even have Labrie's solo cds which I think are good..go figure..but I heard some pretty bad live performances coming out him, many times and his upper mid range tone can be annoying..but when he's on he's good..

They both have amazing keyboards..but that is something I could live without with either bands..it's very nice touch at times but mostly just too much..

to me less is more..but in bands such as these..they really want to push the progressive envelope which I can appreciate..you need bands like these!!

I'm diggin' progressive bands like Pagans Mind, Adagio, Shadow Gallery a bit more these days..just more "song" oriented I guess..and less wanking..just for the sake of it.

Does this make sense...??

I'm certainly not slamming anyone here..just stating my observations and preferences..all good players and bands..they are who they are..and they set the bar for other prog bands...

Viglilante and Concerto Moon are absolutely amazing Japanese Prog metal bands..anyone hear these guys..especially CM..I hardly see them mentioned and they been around for quite some time with great music.

Rush threw this ball long ago and these dudes just picked it up and ran with it..I think. Even tho Rush is comprised of amazing players ..I was never really moved by most of their work..I do really like some of their classic material..but I never embraced that style..but lots of my friends sure did..my VH drummer was in a Rush Tribute called Vital Signs..there were a big deal for a long time here..always had a good following. They always wanted me in that camp, just not my gig. they are very good tho..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          They both have amazing keyboards..but that is something I could live without with either bands..it's very nice touch at times but mostly just too much..
          keyboards can make or kill the band in my book.
          I loved all the great prog keyboardists, Wakeman, Banks, Tony Kaye, Richard Wright etc. because all those guys had cool sounds and style

DT has some really cool keyboard players, Kevin Moore had the coolest sounds but Derek Sherinian was a cool mofo, Rudess sounds pretty good too.

But most of the new prog bands have the worst keyboard sounds EVER. Some of those bands even call themselves power-prog metal, that's not prog IMO, prog comes from jazz and psychdelic rock not from power metal.

Somone gave me Sonata Artica cd to listen, good players, but I couldn't stand it, the keyboard sounds were so fucking awful. Almost as cheesy as Goth Metal's "strings settings for "atmospheric" sounds" Jesus.

Symhony'X keyboards sound kinda cheesy too, but they are not so bad.

I give props to DT for having a decent sounding keys. Hell, the whole band has a great sound.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I like DT but sometimes when they keep doing the offtime stuff it gets on my nerves cause you can't bob your head to it or tap your foot. Technically any one of them can blow most bands away by themselves.

Matt

Comment

Sherinian is my least fave of all DT's keys, Rudess and Moore are tied for best in my book. Moore always had the perfect melody while Rudess is a technical genious, and no slouch at melody either.
              www.myspace.com/madeaband
              www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Train of Thought is my favorite DT cd.

I'm a fan from 92 with Images and Words, but a lot of their stuff in the 90's after Kevin Moore left was directionless and not very good IMO, and then they started to get their shit together when Rudess joined.

bottom line, they are best when they strip it down to just fucking rock, and Train of Thought is the cd that they most play like that. hard, heavy, and uncompromising with some noodling but not every second.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                  I like DT but sometimes when they keep doing the offtime stuff it gets on my nerves cause you can't bob your head to it or tap your foot. Technically any one of them can blow most bands away by themselves.

Matt
                  The exactly how I feel about it..I just want to groove..those guys constipate me..

I can't poop top DT..it get's all tense..

Dragon humper metal that's good poopin' metal..I can drop a good load to Dragonforce..the nice melodies, they relax your colon...

Comment

I like DT in general. Some of their stuff is interesting while some of it just sounds forced, but when they groove, they groove good. IMHO Awake is a great album. I also like Train of Thought and SFAM but the rest of their catalogue doesn't do much for me.
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Hmm, DT has been my absolute favorite band since 89. And all this time I always thought - man, Petrucci's sound is hopeless... So muffled and lifeless. But eventually if gave up and decided - I"m just not getting it and learned to ignore his sound.

Kevin Moore was the best fit for the DT music and overall sound IMHO. Though Rudes seems to fit well too.

Comment

DT is a great band but i prefer Symphony X just because I prefer MJR's stlye and Russel Allen is a fantastic singer.
                        If a fat girl falls in the forest, and no one is there to see it, do the trees still laugh??

Comment

Working...
                        X