Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody see the making of Hysteria last night on VH1 Classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody see the making of Hysteria last night on VH1 Classic?

It was a pretty cool show. They talked with all the bandmembers in the studio and they played a lot of the first mixes of each song, and told how each song came together. Some of the interviews with Phil he was sitting with his root beer (I think) PC-1 and he demostrated how to play a couple of riffs. It was cool and his tone was awesome. Anybody know what setup he uses to get his sound?

dimarzio super 3
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

phil collen

I was asking more of amps, effects, etc. I know he uses PC-1s so the guitar is the easy part of his setup to figure out.

Comment

In that shot, he was using a Marshall JMP-1 and a JFX-1.
        Don't recall the power amp or cabs.

I have the actual DVD that VH-1 grabbed 99% of the video from. Including all the interviews.
        -Rick

Comment

phil collen

Nice, RJ. Is that the same DVD they were hocking after the show last night? Is there more on the DVD with Phil playing or is just more of what was on the show?

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post
            Nice, RJ. Is that the same DVD they were hocking after the show last night? Is there more on the DVD with Phil playing or is just more of what was on the show?
            No.. this is one that was only released in Europe and it's in PAL format, not NTSC.
            Fortunately my DVD player can convert from PAL to NTSC.

The VH1 DVD is only what you saw on the show.

Almost all of the footage and interviews on the show was taken from the DVD "THE MAKING OF HYSTERIA", which was released in 2003.
            Lots of good stuff... great if you really want to know how they did some of the guitar tricks in studio.

Released: 2003 (Eagle Entertainment)
            An in-depth documentary on the making of the band's hit album "HYSTERIA", with interviews and a track-by-track analysis including comments from the band.

01.INTRODUCTION
            02.ANIMAL
            03.HYSTERIA
            04.ROCKET
            05.LOVE BITES
            06.POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME

01.INITIAL RECORDINGS OF ANIMAL
            02.RICK GETS HYSTERICAL
            03.HYSTERIA (acoustic)
            04.DRUMMING - RETURN TO THE STATUS QUO
            05.THE ALBUM ACCORDING TO JOE
            06.SUGAR STRIPPED DOWN
            07.POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME (acoustic)
            08.GUITARS, GUITARS, GUITARS
            09.WINDMILL II AND THE GODS OF WAR
            10.MUTT'S VOCALS IN THE MIX
            11.THE ALBUM IS FINALLY RELEASED

EDIT: Amazon has it for $14.
            Looks like they finaly made an NTSC version.
            http://www.amazon.com/Hysteria-Matth.../dp/B00006FD9W
            Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-05-2006, 02:59 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

Very cool...I'll have to pick that up. Thanks for the link.

Comment

It's a great series, that. "Classic Albums" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums. I haven't seen the one on Hysteria, but I have seen a few of them when they've broadcast the series here, and own the British Steel & Number of the Beast dvds.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Just watched it tonight on VH1C. Really interesting. I'm going to also have to pick up that version.

Comment

Yeah, It was very cool how the licks and guitar parts were arranged! Need to get that DVD!
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      In that shot, he was using a Marshall JMP-1 and a JFX-1.
                      Don't recall the power amp or cabs.

I have the actual DVD that VH-1 grabbed 99% of the video from. Including all the interviews.
                      Yep..sounded excatly like my shit..and his guitar looks just like my Charvel SD III..

I'm assuming he's using the 9200..well he's using the rest of that rack...along with Marshall cabs..

makes sense...
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I remember seeing a report on the warm-up for the Euphoria tour a few years ago on the now-defunct Friday Rock Show on VH-1 in the UK. At that point he was definitely using the 9200 with the JMP-1 and JFX-1. Very Marshall indeed!

The 9200 is a pretty bad-ass power amp really. I've had one from new - unfortunately I've not really had the opportunity to use it in anger for maybe 8 years or so. Its sitting in a rack box gathering dust (I switched back to using straight amps - well I suppose Line 6 isn't quite "straight" - instead of the rack for convenience and ease)

I always liked PC's playing and tone even though some of Def Leppard's stuff is a bit saccharine for me at times.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieP View Post
                          I remember seeing a report on the warm-up for the Euphoria tour a few years ago on the now-defunct Friday Rock Show on VH-1 in the UK. At that point he was definitely using the 9200 with the JMP-1 and JFX-1. Very Marshall indeed!

The 9200 is a pretty bad-ass power amp really. I've had one from new - unfortunately I've not really had the opportunity to use it in anger for maybe 8 years or so. Its sitting in a rack box gathering dust (I switched back to using straight amps - well I suppose Line 6 isn't quite "straight" - instead of the rack for convenience and ease)

I always liked PC's playing and tone even though some of Def Leppard's stuff is a bit saccharine for me at times.

Still Have my faithful Marshall rack set up since '96..It is killer..I'm still in love with it!!

Hell, I'll think I'll dry hump it right now..hold on..

OK..I just did..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X