• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtrplr71 View Post
    ADA mp1 lexicon is what it looked like!
    Can you tell what the Lexicon is..?

Comment

Its not long enough (video footage) to short to tell if it was stellar or not.
      Yeah, Lynch is notorious for reverb/delay over saturation and it can quickly become very annoying and frustrating to my ears when its over saturated.

Lynch?
      I'm a huge fan.
      It was him and eddie and a handful of others that influenced me and inspired me to play guitar.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Hey, I read the Guitar World Randy Rhoads Tribute Issue and remembered reading this:
        Eddie, Randy Rhoads and Lynch all knew about each other before they got famous.
        Actually Randy wasn't very impressed with Eddie's playing, he thought it was a lot of smoke and mirrors. Nothing he didn't think he could pull of himself in other words. Lynch however, actually intimidated Randy with his playing. I think that's saying something!
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

GD86..

Randy said this when asked about his soloing.. "I just pretend I'm Eddie Van Halen"..I'll NEVER forget those words!!

When VH debut in LA at whatever that main club was called..VH opened for George's band, he was the known local "hero".. ..with Gene Simmons and talent scouts watching..Ed completely stole George's thunder..George had to follow Ed that night as the headliner ..but all the fuss was over Ed..that was in a few GW issues back..George said He was pissed but "Ed was the one I had to watch, I had to learn from this guy"

Gene Simmons snatched him right up!!

The rest was history!!

so what your saying completely contradicts what they said during these interviews..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ok, I was just saying what I'd read. If I remember correctly it was a friend of Randy's who said that, so he could be bullshitting of course. I just thought it was kinda strange of Guitar World to put that on print if it was total bs:-/ I mean, one would think they'd know better..

But of course I won't argue against the Written Word of the mighty Bill Z Bub

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              GD86..

Randy said this when asked about his soloing.. "I just pretend I'm Eddie Van Halen"..I'll NEVER forget those words!!
              I remember the quote being something more along the lines of "During my live solo spot, I do alot of licks that Eddie Van Halen uses... I hate that I do that. To me, it is just flash that impresses the kids. I need more time to find my thing..." or something to that affect.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
                Can you tell what the Lexicon is..?
                Checkout this link

Comment

Cool vid!, thanks for that! At the very end he plays those superfast tapping just like his unaccompanied solo from Beast from the east, but it cuts off.

My bud's a super fan of his and likes his signal really wet like George's...I'm the opposite, I like it real dry.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                    Already saw that - didn't look like a PCM 41 (that was called out on the site) in the video (grey front), but I am not a huge user of Lexicon, so was hoping someone who is could help out..
                    Either way - he ripped and that was a good tone (though a bit wet to me)

Comment

i think for that style of music back then wet was the thing, for solo's i love it wet with either reverb or delay, however for rythem i prefer it dry.

As to tapping and who did what blah blah blah, alot of people back then were doing tapping etc... Ed just got the thunder, and probaly do to the fact that the whole band was awesome, between dave and eddie it was a great show.

Comment

I have always used a wet tone for solo work. A dry solo tone sounds like re-fried ass.

George was smoking in that vid.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[QUOTE=MetalMedal II;794636] At the very end he plays those superfast tapping just like his unaccompanied solo from Beast from the east, but it cuts off.
                          /QUOTE]

That's when he turns on the RAT pedal on top of the rack. The tone he has sounds the same as Beast From The East. He was on top of his game in this vid.
                          Last edited by Tune_Up; 10-09-2006, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                            Hey, I read the Guitar World Randy Rhoads Tribute Issue and remembered reading this:
                            Eddie, Randy Rhoads and Lynch all knew about each other before they got famous.
                            Actually Randy wasn't very impressed with Eddie's playing, he thought it was a lot of smoke and mirrors. Nothing he didn't think he could pull of himself in other words. Lynch however, actually intimidated Randy with his playing. I think that's saying something!
                            Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                            Ok, I was just saying what I'd read. If I remember correctly it was a friend of Randy's who said that, so he could be bullshitting of course. I just thought it was kinda strange of Guitar World to put that on print if it was total bs:-/ I mean, one would think they'd know better..

But of course I won't argue against the Written Word of the mighty Bill Z Bub
                            That "friend" is obviously BSing.
                            Without Ed, there wouldn't be Randy, George or any other 80's gunslinger.

I dunno if that "friend" knows anything about guitar playing, Ed - smoke and mirrors

But I've heard many times before that Randy was more advanced than Ed or something like that.

It's kinda funny tho. because I could play any Randy Rhoads solo after 2-3 years of guitar playing. With Ed's stuff I was going nuts, it was so out of the box that I had to start playing jazz and fusion to understand where Ed is taking all of his ideas from. Such a badass player as Doug Aldrich said the same thing, he could play Randy's solos anytime but couldn't touch Ed.

I admiered Randy's ideas and composition skills but his playing was very easy to understand. It was like macaronies without any souce. Strict feel, locked timing, and just notes in memoriable order but without any nuances.

Ed was like pasta with the most exotic souce, that you could not tell wich compoents it is made of. Free time jazz feel, jazzy chromatic runs, atonal stuff, the most out of the box phrasing patterns. And unlike Randy, every note Ed played was full of nuances, different vibratos, harmonics, dynamics, finger tone etc. etc. etc. You had to pay a lot of attention to every aspect in Ed's playing to nail his stuff.

And Ed was the one who kicked George in the nuts. He always mentions Ed as one of his biggest influences. Geroge started to shred because of Ed.

Anyway, George is like Ed meets Randy, great compostions and memobriable melodies but very loose feel, a lot of nuances and out of the box approach.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Amen to that

Comment

Looks like a Yamaha SPX 90 and a Roland Echo unit, on top with some sort of mixer kinda like this: A standard setup back in the day but he sure didn't make it sound standard!

Comment

Working...
                                X