No announcement yet.

Badass Lynch video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes E..The EXACT words to Ed's style as he refered it is .."It's like falling down the stairs and landing on my feet"..

I can't play Randy solos..I prolly could if I learned them, they'd prolly be wrong. I don't know theory, so I'd be just wingin' it.

I agree with your words on Ed's style as being "Out of the box" even tho Ed did play the piano and won awards when he was young..he never applied theory to guitar ..he just woodsheddin' and thru trial and error and bangin' those ideas out with his Bro..we got those songs.

I'm from the VH school of playing..I play "out of the box"....local "heroes", some who are my friends ..no matter how good they are , can't duplicate what I do..because it's so unorthodox, because I made it up.

Lynch's playing sounds a bit out of the box, he just plays with a lot of fire..he developed his own thing..he knows theory ..didn't George take over Randy's students for a short time..but all Randy's students would show up wearing bow ties and just wanted to learn Randy licks..so he bailed.

All Three players had their own voice and contributed much inspiration at that time..but Ed was king...then came Yngwie.

Uli Roth was amazing, years before these guys..but went totaly unoticed..as well as Frank Marino. Most people just wrote them off as Jimi wannabes, but that's wasn't the case at all...yeah they loved Jimi just as Ed did , but they had much too offer as well..but only had a small cult-like following..prolly due to their music writing..and both were pretty strange birds I guess.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, I think you could play Randy's solos, you don't need theory for that, just a good ear to figure out what he is doing. I don't know much about theory but I have a good ear so I'm fine with that.

I'm not sure about George, I've read that he doesn't know much about theory either. I guess he knows more about it now then he did in the 80's

Playing out of the box is cool, when I started I played those good 'ol blues licks and whatnot. But then I heard Eddie and I started to use the same licks and patterns as he did, I didn't had clue about scales then, and all those Eddie's licks I played were all "out of the scales"
      Then I got heavily into jazz and eastern music and thanks to that I really don't play "in the box" at all
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yeah, I"m sure I could E..I never learned a solo note for note in my entire life nor that I ever will..I don't want to..

I'm much happier making up my own crap I can't play..

I LOVE all these players..they really inspired me..when I listen to VH, or Lynch for a while..it really bleeds through..I had to stop listening to VH all together long ago, because everything I was playing was sounding like VH..I don't want that..we already have a VH, a Yngwie and Randy and ect.. and billion sound alikes..

I'm just trying to sound like me..the best I can.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbflow View Post
          Looks like a Yamaha SPX 90 and a Roland Echo unit, on top with some sort of mixer kinda like this: A standard setup back in the day but he sure didn't make it sound standard!

WOW! Nice capture ! What did you use to get it?
          Could be a DEP 5.... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
            WOW! Nice capture ! What did you use to get it?
            Could be a DEP 5.... thanks
            I found that pick on google, but it's not from the video I'm not sure who's rack that is. Probably some unknown 80's wanker

Comment

Another great guitarist (in my opinion anyway) Steve Hacket (ex-Genesis) claims in the liner notes of a greatest hits CD I've got that "a certain Eddie Van Halen made quite a career based upon that", referring to some tapping he had done during a live show apparently attended by Eddie.. Now I know Hacket has been known to play some pretty crazy and innovative stuff (for his time anyway), but can this be true? Eddie may not have invented tapping but he sure made it his own unique trademark and took it to another level.
              I've heard "Slogans" by Hacket, the song features a lot of tapping, but I think that was released after the first VH album.. Anyways, who'd have thought Steve Hacket was the guy Eddie got the tapping idea from?
              I'm of course wondering if Hacket was bullshitting, but he really doesn't strike me as a guy who goes around telling lies..
              "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Steve did tapping and sweep picking in '73, Yngwie worships him.

But Ed tooked taping from Billy Gibbons as did Billy Sheehan.
                You know that single blues bend tap. And then developed further. I'm sure he stoled a thing or two from Steve too.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks man, I only really have a "greatest hits" compilation and Steve's latest CD. Amazing player

Comment

He sure is, Steve is the first guitar player I admiered, Genesis was my first favourite band, I was 4-5 years old then.

Comment

He is high up on the food chain. Almost as high as Uli.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        He is high up on the food chain. Almost as high as Uli.
                        Uli rules..he shhhhhhhhhhhed me ya know!

My enthusiasm broke his mojo..I got a little carried away ..

Comment

Great vid! To me the 80's were THE days of innovative guitarists. Sure, I know they all stole a little from each other, but at least the best of the best took what they stole and made it part their own. I still think George and Ed probably stole the least, and invented the most.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You are right Mark. IMO '67-91' was the period of good electric guitar playing, but the 80's were the coolest.

Ed invented 80's music. Not 80's rock but the whole 80's music (pop, rock, metal or whatever).

His chords progressions ala E-Esus4-D etc. was used by 99.9% of the 80's artists.

Ed invented 80's sound. The guitar tone, production etc.

Ed invented 80's lead guitar playing - 80's SHREDDING and all the tricks and stuff you can do with guitar.

I can clearly hear where Ed took his lead playing from. His lead style is 20% Billy Gibbons (blues phrasing, pinched harmonics etc.), 20% Allan Holdsworth (all the wild atonal runs and licks and his legato technique), 10% from other players like Hendrix, Uli Jon Roth, Frank Marino, Jimmy Page, Steve Hackett, Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe and various bebop jazz and latin artists. 50% of his lead style he invented by himself.

Most of his riffing and chord progressions are 100% of his own. I've never heard songs structures like in I'm The One, Somebody Give Me A Doctor, Dance The Night Away, Ain't Talkin' 'About Love, Unchained, Women In Love etc. ever made before Van Halen came out. But everyone after VH copied those ideas.

Some of the rhythm ideas Ed took from Zeppelin, ZZ Top and from many progressive bands such as Rush, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson etc.

Comment

Wow.. I'd never really thought about where Eddie took his playing from until you mentioned the players here. Ed is one of a kind

Comment

All of that is incorrect... Ed invented the guitar, the guitar solo, and amplifiers. Don't believe me? Just ask him...

Comment

Working...
                                X