The coolest John Sykes video ever!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The coolest John Sykes video ever!!!

A lot of people wanted me to post this footage of Crying In The Rain. It is from my bootleg cd. Whitesnake - Rock In Rio 1985.

John Sykes plays 3 badass solos on this one, the middle one wich leads to the main solos and finally the outro solo. Amazing melodies, cool blues licks, bitchin' tricks, insane shredding, badass vibrato etc.

LINK

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25619356&hl=en

Coverdale is struggeling a bit, it's kinda weird because his performance on the other songs from that concert is amazing.

Anyone who wants the whole bootleg (about an hour long, full of Sykes solos) contact me.

Thanks to JCF member audiphile for sending me the proper program to cut this video from the whole concert.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Endrik; 10-08-2006, 07:15 AM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

This was very cool. the last solo kicked arse, very cool how he played with volume knob and with lots delay very good bending too, I thik Hammett has given him some vibrato lessons.

Comment

Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for posting, Endrik.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Wow! That was the best 12:49 I have spent in front of my computer. Did you notice that John didn't use his pinky?

Endrik, thanks for posting that.

Alvin
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Jonh Sykes is the epitome of the Rock Star guitarst!!

I already was a huge fan of his by the time I saw the first album tour..The wife and I was belly to the stage.. I was SOOO fuggin' pissed that Vivian and Adrain came out..they did a good job..but I was there to see him man..

I bought Thunder and Lightning in '83 and that just kicked the dick right off me..it still does..

Great Vid...did you see Dave signal to John to turn up about a quater way through that..

Zakk should pay residuals to Sykes everytime he does a "ping"..because that's exactly who he got them from.
          Last edited by horns666; 10-08-2006, 12:08 PM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            Jonh Sykes is the epitome of the Rock Star guitarst!!
            that is so true!!!

He looks like a rockstar, he performs like a rockstar, he has an attitude of a rockstar, he plays like a rockstar, he writes songs like a rockstar...

I've always thought that Sykes and Coverdale were the biggest thing after Van Halen.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks for posting the video! Excellent work. This is a perfect example where a Floyd and 24 frets is just not needed. I like the work he does with the volume knobs.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

It really is amazing to watch Sykes..because I realize how much I have been influenced by him, or how much we both have a similar style. I mean, really, the things that Sykes did in that solo...well, that is pretty much how I play...albeit not quite that well. The tremelo picking, the pinch harmonics, the big bends with wide vibrato, the tapping...that is MY style. I have been listening to the '87 Whitesnake album since, well...'87 and I guess it just permeated my brain. I am kind of a Sykes/SRV/EVH ripoff amalgamation of a player.

Of course, much of Sykes little trick bag also was the trick bag of Lord Edward. The trem picking, tapping, the trilled harmonic trick that Sykes did twice in that solo section.

What I would really like you to load up would be "Is This Love?". I really want to see Sykes play that solo. I have been half-assed figuring that one out as of late. I think that is his juciest solo by far.

Thanks, Endrik!

MIke
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Sykes kicks ass... Thanks for sharing that I'd love to see more. I wished he had gotten back with Whitesnake and done more... I absolutely loved the blue murder stuff as well ..
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Mike, John also uses Gary Moore licks and some Schenker-ish melodic lines.
                    And same here, I sound a lot like Sykes and can nail Is This Love to the T, just ask JC, he has seen me play those things.

I'm not sure I have Is This Love on a video, I have a couple ones audio only. I have many bootlegs and I know some dudes who have all the Sykes bootlegs, but I'm not really sure there is any Is This Love footage on video, if there is, the quality is really bad.

Kev, if you want to see more I can send you a copy.

Comment

That is the best video of Sykes I have EVER seen. Man he is phenomonal!

chuck
                      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Thanks Endrik!!!

I was watching some Whitesnake on YouTUbe yesteday in fact!

I saw this lineup in 1984.....KICKED ASS!!!

THANKS AGAIN for the link!!

Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                        Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Thats top notch pentatonic playing once again and nicely done.
                          I never heard a single sweeping passage, and he was still stellar without it.
                          Just goes to show ya, one doesn't have to be a sweeper to be a good player. So many love to hate that good old pentatonic, but its made guitarists mucho dinero. Fine playing and thanks for the video...kudos.

I saw them when Campell and Vandenburg where the players.
                          Vanderburg was incredible and Campell wasn't too shabby either.
                          Last edited by Soap; 10-08-2006, 04:41 PM.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I love it when Sykes go from one side of the stage to the other, nodding his head to the crowd as if he's saying: "Oh, you want some of this to? Don't think I haven't noticed ya begging and screaming for it!"
                            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Thanks, E!

Comment

Working...
                              X