Richard Bailey - keyboards

the '87 album line-up was

David Coverdale
    John Sykes
    Neil Murray
    session great Aynsley Dunbar on drums
    the keyboards were played by Don Airey and Bill Cuomo
    the solo of Here I Go Again was played by Adrian Vandenberg

yeah John plays with 3 fingers mostly but he does use the pinky too, specially when he is playing those "hot-rodded" blues licks wich Zakk copied from him.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It's in his hands,he has the ability to put a touch of vibrato in everything he does,even the chording.I call it slurve,it's just a feel that certain players have.Frank Marino has it,Doug Aldrich has it a little,Ted Nugent,you guys no what I mean..................................
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Originally posted by Reverend Timmy View Post
        I call it slurve,
        that's excellent
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Jeez, is it me, or was David Coverdale almost a half step flat this entire song. Man that was painful for me to listen to. John's solos were incredible, but man that vocal...as Randy Jackson says "was pitchy" is an understatement!
          "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
              Wow! That was the best 12:49 I have spent in front of my computer. Did you notice that John didn't use his pinky?

Endrik, thanks for posting that.

Alvin

Actually, for the most part, he doesn't, but at certai points in the solo, you can see the pinky extend to reach the higher notes, during some of the fast portions, but, yeah, other than that, he's really a 3-finger axeslinger. Awsome vid. Dug him, since the Thin Lizzy days.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                Actually, for the most part, he doesn't, but at certai points in the solo, you can see the pinky extend to reach the higher notes, during some of the fast portions, but, yeah, other than that, he's really a 3-finger axeslinger. Awsome vid. Dug him, since the Thin Lizzy days.
                Yeah, I noticed that too, but he is lightning fast with that pinky. I watched a SRV Little Wing video just after watching this one and also noticed that SRV was pretty much a 3 finger guy as well. I'd be curious as to how many guitarists play 3 finger vs. 4 finger. I use my pinky on the highest 3rd or 4th note on each string. I don't have large hands, so I don't have much of a choice.

I guess whatever gets the job done...
                "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Originally posted by Mesaboog View Post
                  Jeez, is it me, or was David Coverdale almost a half step flat this entire song. Man that was painful for me to listen to.
                  yup, he sounded pretty bad that time.

at least John was on.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Mesaboog View Post
                    Yeah, I noticed that too, but he is lightning fast with that pinky. I watched a SRV Little Wing video just after watching this one and also noticed that SRV was pretty much a 3 finger guy as well. I'd be curious as to how many guitarists play 3 finger vs. 4 finger. I use my pinky on the highest 3rd or 4th note on each string. I don't have large hands, so I don't have much of a choice.

I guess whatever gets the job done...

I pretty much played 3-fingered, for years, due to my own lack of ability, PLUS, like you, I don't have those super-long fingers, like some players. However, over time, I've learned to work all 4 of them. Normally, depending on the run, I'm either using index-middle-pinky, or index-ring-pinky. Really, just depends on whether the change from my index is a 1 or two-or-more fret spread. Anything more than 1, and I'm going for the ring finger.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

That was some pretty good playing for sure. Not exactly the style or tone I like, but he is a very good player Yes, Coverdale did sound flat for sure. Jack.

Comment

That makes me GAS for a LP

I've seen that before but it always ended around 8 minutes, I never saw the last part with the volume swell/delay thing. Cool. He's a monster player
                        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

He has the best tone in the business. Blue Murder albums ruled.
                          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                            He has the best tone in the business. Blue Murder albums ruled.
                            fuckin a man, that shit is the mad notes
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

God bless COZY POWELL too...............

So fun to watch play drums.
                              Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                              Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X