No announcement yet.

Insane shredding by Reb Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol. I still have some of those old GWs with his tapping column. Good stuff! He (S. Lynch) also has a video dedicated to tapping, but I haven't seen it.
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I actually prefer Gregory Hines when it comes to tap dancin... oh shit! Nevermind!
      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

watched it.

impressions: (keep in mind I like most Reb stuff I've heard)

- I'm a guitar player who really doesn't like the 80's "guitar solo". I much prefer solos within songs and as musical arrangements with other instruments (Night Ranger did a sick two guitar solo kinda thing with the keyboards when I saw em in 87, now that was the shit).

- most of the tapping was the same shit that bores me to tears.

- some of it at like around 2:30 was cool melodic arpeggio tapping which I liked.

- ugliest guitar on earth. well, except for a lot of other ugly guitars.

- his tone still lacks. kinda thin and noodly. I prefer Petrucci's and Friedman's and Lynch's beefier and thicker tones to that.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
          watched it.

impressions: (keep in mind I like most Reb stuff I've heard)

- I'm a guitar player who really doesn't like the 80's "guitar solo". I much prefer solos within songs and as musical arrangements with other instruments (Night Ranger did a sick two guitar solo kinda thing with the keyboards when I saw em in 87, now that was the shit).

- most of the tapping was the same shit that bores me to tears.

- some of it at like around 2:30 was cool melodic arpeggio tapping which I liked.

- ugliest guitar on earth. well, except for a lot of other ugly guitars.

- his tone still lacks. kinda thin and noodly. I prefer Petrucci's and Friedman's and Lynch's beefier and thicker tones to that.
          For the 80's shit I'm a big fan of Criss Oliva,Akira Takasaki, Ronnie LeTekro..and of course Andy LaRoque

Can't forget Tony Mac and Greg Howe..and of course the Yngwinator..

They all had something to give..Bratta, Lynch, Beach, Satch, Vai, Gary and Vinnie Moore, Sykes..shit, the list is endless..for TASTY tone and solos..

But even in that era Ed was still king with me..for tone and style..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            Syeve Lynch..was the guy who pushed tapping wayyyyy over the top..

GW gave him his own article dedicated on tapping..
            I met Steve Lynch several years ago - I bought a guitar off him .
            I remember he plugged into one of those little Crate 20w stereo chorus amps, and played the most amazing tapping licks I've ever heard. He was running on the clean channel with the slapback echo, and it sounded exactly like he was playing a harp! Frickin' unreal...

Comment

Thanks for posting that vid man! I've always been a huge Reb fan.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I've always loved Rebs playing
                I think he does more interesting tapping stuff in this one
                Cut from the guitar instructional video "Cutting Loose". He plays a Kramer on this one.

As far as tapping goes Greg Howe is my Fav, I find tapping can be much more "musical" when used to tap out Arps and wide intervals.
                tapping out major 7th arps sounds way cool.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

^^^ That shit is amazing. I'd never even heard Reb play before I opened this thread \m/

Comment

Originally posted by mab8485 View Post
                    ^^^ That shit is amazing. I'd never even heard Reb play before I opened this thread \m/
                    if you want some recommended listening, we got loads of suggestions for ya!

man, watching this just makes me want to buy some leather chaps
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

when Whitesnake does Here I go Again, i think thats one of the few times he really busts out a tapped solo (the end ascending lick of the solo).

Comment

I wish Reb was given more solos on the new Whitesnake DVD, but when he does solo he rules.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          if you want some recommended listening, we got loads of suggestions for ya!

man, watching this just makes me want to buy some leather chaps
                          I'm always searching for new music, so hit me up with suggestions!

Comment

well....if the first couple of Winger CDs are too cheesy for you, I'd still recommend checking out the last one, Pull. I think it was their strongest & unfortunately was totally overlooked with the backlash from Stuart on Beavis & Butthead. Plus Reb plays great on it.

Check out Dokken's Live From The Sun DVD and/or CD. Reb absolutely tears it up on Lynch's old stuff. Plus the studio album he did with Dokken, Erase the Slate, is worth checking out too.

Reb's solo CD Masquerade is awesome. And he proves that some top shredders actually can sing. His playing will blow you away, but it's always in service of the song.

The Mob - a 'supergroup' of sorts, with Doug Pinnick from King's X, Timothy Drury from The Eagles, Kip Winger & Kelly Keagy from Nightranger. This came out last year and while the production isn't always the best, the songs are good and Reb's playing is as excellent as ever. Make sure you check out Reb's solo on Never Get Enough. The song itself is a bit Wingerish, but the solo is off the hook!
                            Last edited by VitaminG; 10-14-2006, 12:10 AM.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

What ever happened to Steve Lynch? Is he still playing, new band? Does he still have the EKG charvel? Now i gotta go find my Turn up the radio video.. lol

Comment

I've always like Reb. One of the cleanest players out there, in my opinion. His solo for Madelaine is awesome; I always dig listening to that.

And I think his sig guitar is gorgeous. Love the rear cutout very cool.

- E.
                                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                                X