Queensryche/Dream Theater/FatesWarning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queensryche/Dream Theater/FatesWarning

Saw this show last night in Baltimore. Holy Hell, Batman!! What a great show. Watching DT and QR play together onstage during the encore will definitely be one of my alltime favorite concert memories.

By the way, Frank Aresti was back playing 2nd guitar for Fates Warning, and they didn't use a keyboardist. FW sounds much better with two guitars than with keyboards, and they rocked hard.

Re: Queensryche/Dream Theater/FatesWarning

RAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for Saturday!!!!!!
    Occupy JCF

Comment

I'm seeing them tomorrow, can't wait!

Comment

Awesome!! Fates Warning have been my favorite band since the late '80s. I saw them on the "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" tour in '97 and Jim was the sole guitar player. Later on in the tour, they got Bernie Versailles and put out the live "Still Life" cd with him on it, and Jason Keaser on keyboards. Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater) actually played on the APSOG album. It's great to hear Frank Aresti's back, though! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Frank had a cool gray/silver Rhoads in the "Silent Cries" video, too.

[ July 16, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dude, that's excellent news! When did Frank hook back up w/ Fates?? I always thought his sunburst soloist archtop was the $hit back in the day... was he still playing it?

Comment

I knew that Frank had been a "special guest" at a couple of recent Fates shows in greater NY, along with John Arch, but I had no idea he was doing the tour, either, until I saw him onstage. There's a link on the FW site to an interview with him where he said he had left the business and wasn't really playing guitar much anymore. Guess he changed his mind. Whatever the case, his presence made a huge difference--they were able to play more of their back catalogue that they couldn't do with only Matheos on guitar. And that amazing two-guitar sound they got back in the day was back.

Frank was playing a Heritage Les Paul goldtop for the entire set.

Comment

The show was awesome. Go see it everyone! Fates Warning played a very short but good set. One dude played a PRS and the other played a les paul goldtop style Hamer.

Queensryche put on an amazing show after that. I never really heard them in the past. I'll be buying some of their stuff now.

Dream Theater stold the night away as always. They sound better each time I go see them. The Dream Theater + Queensryche encore was definitely great. The two bands work very well together.

Comment

I saw them in Ohio. And yes anyone who hasn't gone...GO!! I live in Indiana, and the hour and a half drive was WELLLLLLL worth it. John Petrucci rules very much so. Mike Portnoy's drum set is crazy. For one song he just walked around in it playing!

Comment

I was at the Cleveland show as well. All the bands smoked! The encore was killer too. The encore had both Dream Theater and Queensryche doing Pink Floyd's comfortably Numb with the drummers swapping drum sets. It looked strange to see Mike Portnoy behind a small drum kit. Next they did Peruvian Skies by Dream Theater with both drummers playing Mike Portnoy drum kit at the same time! And they finally closed with Queensryche's tune, The Flame which featured mind blowing vocals on both singers' part.

I've seen Dream Theater twice within the past year and would go see them again and again! I've seen Queensryche twice as well but the previous time still had Chris Degarmo in the line up a few years back. On this tour they need to turn up the volume on his reolacement's guitar (sorry can't recall his name). For some reason they had him turned down in the mix.

Rudy
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

i saw them on july 12 in wilmington DE. And I must say it was the most amazing thing ive ever seen. What songs did they play for the encore when you saw em? At mine they played the spirit carries on, take hold of the flame, and comfortably numb

Comment

For the encore they did Comfortably Numb, Peruvian Skies, Take Hold The Flame. They smoked on all three!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Rudy
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

When i saw DT in July Mike Portnoy was playing a triple bass drum set! Holy ****!
                        [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think I could handle that show. Well I'd need new pants, that's for sure...

Comment

Working...
                          X