Saw Def Leppard/Journey Tonight in Jacksonville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
    Viv's old strat heads or Phil's old strat heads?
    Phil had old stratheads?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Oh, and Bela started life with a Kahler fulcrum trem - check out the Animal video. Then it got a cam Kahler (Hysteria tour), and by the time of the Adrenalize tour it had a Floyd (Freddy Mercury tribute concert in early 92). The controls have been changed around as well - it's now got an 'empty' hole.

Yup, I was asked to research this guitar a couple of months ago
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Phils old tech changed out the Kahlers to Floyds. It was before Stas, so it was before 92 when he joined. I played both the Bela and Silver Crackle, and just the backs are scratched up a little from the belt / buttons. Bryan - See if you see Phil play the "A" hole, then tell me if you see why its the "A" hole Havent seen it much on tour.....Always something about his guitars that has names or history, like the necks are 2 by Phils.......I learned a lot from Stas, he was with them from 92 till about 03. Stas also teched for Vai for a while before PC.

Brooks
        Last edited by BGWwebguy; 11-15-2006, 09:02 AM.
        www.BrooksGuitarUniverse.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGWwebguy View Post
          Phils old tech changed out the Kahlers to Floyds. It was before Stas, so it was before 92 when he joined. I played both the Bela and Silver Crackle, and just the backs are scratched up a little from the belt / buttons. Bryan - See if you see Phil play the "A" hole, then tell me if you see why its the "A" hole Havent seen it much on tour.....Always something about his guitars that has names or history, like the necks are 2 by Phils.......I learned a lot from Stas, he was with them from 92 till about 03. Stas also teched for Vai for a while before PC.

Brooks
          You lucky SOB! I wish I could play one of Phil's guitars.
          Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
          www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Brooks, how long ago did you play the silver crackle? Does it still have the Kahler on it? Maybe you can answer something I always wondered.

Why did Phil switch from Kahlers to Floyds? He was a big Kahler guy and then all of a sudden he started using all Floyds. Did this ever come up when talking to him? Please answer if you know. Thanks.

Comment

I was out in LA at his place back at NAMM 02 or 03. He had the 2 there, along with some AMAZING Jacksons. The Kahler was replaced by the old tech back around 91 early 92 before the Adren tour. The reason this came up was at NAMM 02 I showed him the green PC archtop, and he said he had an archtop with a Kahler. Then I think Brad from the board here said soemthing about all his old guitar had Kahlers at 1 time. I cant exactly remember why he changed but I think it was becuase it just "worked" better he said. I can check the telephone interview I did with him to see if he mentions it there, but I dont think so....

1st person to post a picture of the Jackson "A" hole guitar here, I will send a Phil X pick right from the X tour......

Brooks

Comment

A-hole guitar? What, does it have a graphic of a sphyncter?

Comment

A Hole Guitar

LOL, I picked up the A Hole guitar and strummed a few notes on it. I thought it was freakin hilarious that it actually had an "A" hole on it (as opposed to an "F" hole) I thought I had taken a pic of it but I guess I never did. He didn't play it at all but it was in his rack. This part of the tour is over very soon with the last date in Puerto Rico - so maybe he will bring the A Hole out for the PR show.

Comment

Boogie's got it! Are you a frined of Phils, kinda tough to get near his rig unless you know somoene? Im not sure who came up with the design, but I bet Stas has a part in it.

On a side note - I got a piece of equipment from the Adrenalize tour, no labels except DILLIGAF. So I went on line and looked high and low for that model / name and found nothing. I gave up. Then I found out from a from another friend of Phils it was Does It Look Like I Give A F***. Cracked me up. I still have it...then I saw it on the back of a motorcycle helmet a few months ago. Must be a biker thing...

Brooks

Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by BGWwebguy View Post
                      I was out in LA at his place back at NAMM 02 or 03. He had the 2 there, along with some AMAZING Jacksons. The Kahler was replaced by the old tech back around 91 early 92 before the Adren tour... Brooks
                      Brooks, thanks for answering.

Are you talking about the silver crackle? The Kahler was replaced on that one too? I'm sure I've never seen a pic of that guitar without the Kahler. Did he use it on the Adren tour?

Comment

Wow! Just got back from the New Orleans show and I just had to post my thoughts.

First off it was a great show. Journey was really, really good. Although they played a lot of songs I didn't know, they were tight and rocked.

Def Leppard were equally great. I'm more of a DL fan so thsi part of the show was my favorite. They did surprise me by playing more of their older material early in the show (i.e. Let It Go) but the set was solid and I sctually found myself wishing they had added a few more tunes I wanted to hear (Promises, Have you ever needed someone so bad, etc.)

Now for Phil's guitars. He started the night with the new Speedloader PC, a Lucite guitar (Ampeg perhaps?) for 20th Century boy, then went to a Strat Head Root Beer, a Euphoria PC, then the Red older headstock PC. For the encore he used the Dracula guitar. Not a bad variety in guitars. I guess if it ain't broke, you dont' fix it. Well I really say that because I was half expecting to see the silver crackle Jackson before the night was out.
                        Last edited by Bryan; 11-18-2006, 03:23 AM.

Comment

The show in Bossier City was mediocre at best. Neal Schon is an amazing guitarist, but he overplays ever stinking song. Not every solo needs a bazillion notes. Chill out Neal!

Def Leppard's Joe Elliott needs to fire his soundman. We all lose range as we get older, but too much reverb, echo, etc, etc can make a problem even worse. Apparently, Joe hasn't figured this out. As for Phil, most of his playing was pretty muddy, that is until he decided to dive bomb or perform whammy scoop after whammy scoop. Those came through the mix too well.

Well, for the most part, rock and roll is intended to be excessive. I prefer positive excessiveness.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                          X