No announcement yet.

Msg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock will never die is a good one.its an import.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here is what to get:

michael Schenker Group
      MSG
      Assault Attack
      Built To Destroy
      Live at Budokon
      Written in the Sand
      Arachnaphobia
      Dreams and Expressions
      Thank You 1

Those are my favorites and feature his best playing in that context.
      Other then that, get ALL of his UFO stuff as well as both Scorpions albums he did.

chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Yeah, all the MSG albums are good, I didnt really love Dreams and Expressions though. The first MSG song I ever learned was Feels Like a Good Thing.
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

It took me years to find the first on on CD. I FINALLY found it on cassette but when everything I own went digital, I had to have the CD. I finally got it from Amazon or CDNow or something like that.

Speaking of Graham Bonnet, what's he been up to? I always hated his Miami Vice look but his voice was one of the best.

If you want a trip back to 80's Metal, get Vice City on the PS2, grab a car, and tune the radio station to V-Rock. God Blessed Video (Alcatrazz with Vai/Bonnet), Turn Up The Radio (Autograph), Yankee Rose (DLR with Vai), and a bunch of other 80's metal tracks. Of course you have to try to ignore the crappy tracks from the in-house band (Love Fist - it's the guys from Rockstar Games).
          But the Charvels and Jacksons are well-represented in the soundtrack :headbang:
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Try www.metalmayhem.com. Of course, they can be expensive there, but I love that site. They have mp3s of some new stuff you can check out. Plus if you REALLY need to get a CD of a long lost album, it's probably there.

The album your asking about Guitardude is called NIGHTMARE/THE ACOUSTIC M.S.G. - JAP W/ OBI (I think?). If not there is a DVD that's titled Unplugged Live DVD...

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Speaking of Graham Bonnet, what's he been up to? I always hated his Miami Vice look but his voice was one of the best.
              He's singing for a new guy here in San Diego named Taz Taylor (http://www.taztaylor.com/taznews.htm). I was going to see them last Friday, but I had to be up at 5am Saturday...and take care of all 3 of my rugrats all day. Opted out as the carnage my family would have suffered from me hung over on 2 hours sleep would have been drastic...

As for Schenker, Strangers in the Night really was his best work (at the age of 18 - now think about that - he's playing stadiums - at 18! Mindboggling...). Ebay's the best for older CDs. Don't bother with anything done with Robin McCauley or after - largely unimaginative and forced. He pees away money quicker than he can make it, so he gets stuck in a "let's release a crappy album and hit the road to support it"-syndrome.

Speaking of, he won't play the States anymore because his numerous ex-wives are chasing him for alimony and child support (check out http://www.michaelschenkerhimself.com/index2.html for updates - he actually sometimes posts the emails between him and his ex's under the "News" area - funny stuff), so he's running around Europe and Japan trying to make ends meet without entering the U.S. A pretty crappy ending for someone's who is just far too talented to be broke right now...I just wish the guy would get his act together...
              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by npacheco View Post
                Try www.metalmayhem.com. Of course, they can be expensive there, but I love that site. They have mp3s of some new stuff you can check out. Plus if you REALLY need to get a CD of a long lost album, it's probably there.

The album your asking about Guitardude is called NIGHTMARE/THE ACOUSTIC M.S.G. - JAP W/ OBI (I think?). If not there is a DVD that's titled Unplugged Live DVD...
                You were close when you mentioned that DVD! Turns out I've got "Unplugged Live": http://www.amazon.com/Unplugged-Live.../dp/B0000249KV

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for some interesting versions of well-known MSG and UFO-songs. Very soulful, a great listening experience.
                The version of "Anytime" on this album is one of my favorite songs to play accoustic.
                "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                  As for Schenker, Strangers in the Night really was his best work (at the age of 18 - now think about that - he's playing stadiums - at 18! Mindboggling...).
                  he joined UFO at 18 in 1974. this was after doing Lonesome Crow w/ the Scorpions at age 17, being brought into the band by older brother Rudolph.

Strangers was from their final tour with Schenker in 1979, so he was 23 then.

still fucking amazing to be that talented from the get go. he's always been my inspiration and favorite player.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Essential Michael Schenker covers about 15-16 tracks. Try half.com

Comment

Jeez man, how bout using a "torrent" manager and download those puppies for free.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

What would be some of Schenker's best songs to look at for the various bands he's been in?

Comment

UFO:
                          1. Rock Bottom
                          2. Doctor, Doctor
                          3. Let it Roll
                          4. Shoot, shoot
                          5. Mother Mary
                          6. Natural Thing
                          7.Too Hot to Handle
                          8. Lights Out
                          9. Love to Love
                          10. Rock Bottom 'live'

(note btw: 7-9 from "lights out" studio cuts, the rhythm tracks were recorded w/a pignose )

Scorpions:
                          1. Loving you Sunday Morning
                          2. Another piece of Meat
                          3. Coast to Coast

that will get ya started.. I suggest.. go to MSN, do a seach under his name and spend some time previewing the clips as it is very intensive to do this.

Comment

Thanks charvelguy. I always hear about Schenker and nows the perfect time to check him out.

Comment

Snow, you've Never heard Schenker??? holy fuck.

here is his best song, killer live performance, dig it!!

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Ok, first things first - has no one heard of Overstock.com? They have a bunch of MSG stuff for decent prices.

Snow - I was in the same situation as you a few months back. I've always heard ABOUT Schenker but never actually heard any of his stuff, other than that "Anytime" song with MacAuley (sp?). But then I picked up UFO's "Strangers In The Night" and he instantly became a new favorite of mine. I also got MSG's second album and Rock Will Never Die from a neighbor, which are really good too. But for a Schenker newb I would recommend the UFO album for a good start, then go from there.
                                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                                X