Criss Oliva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criss Oliva

I just got Ghost in the Ruins, I'm not a huge savatage fan, BUT I really dig his lead style.

The solo to City Beneath the Surface is awesome.

Can any of you guys give me some insight to his style. I really love his choice of notes and his playing seems really fluid and fast at times.

Do any of you have any power tabs to any Savatage stuff? I have Hall of the Mountain king and really dig that, what else would you guys recomend?
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Criss Oliva

Criss was an awesome guitarist...since he died I don't think Savatage has been the same. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Make sure you get "Power of the night". It was their best record IMHO.

Comment

1) Check my Avatar.

2) Criss was great, but so are all the other guitarists who came after him. Caffery is very underrated and plays just as well as Oliva. Skolnick is a master. I wish he stayed with the band. And Pitrelli can shred with the best of them.

What do you want to know about his style? Its well documented. You can find out pretty much everything about him on various sites.

And what do you mean by powertabs? Is that some special format? If you're just looking for tabs in general, you can find a heck of a lot of their work. I have dozens.

Comment

Caffery just as good as Oliva???!!! Pitrelli can shred with the best of them????

.....Not on my watch!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Criss Oliva is a Metal guitar GOD!!!!!!!!all the others after him rock too. i love all savatage/TSO stuff!! saw TSO in pittsburgh last december(fkn awesome!!!)their version of orana from orff was bad a$$!!!!!i met caffrey and alex scolnick alex gave me a pick fun fun they all rock!!!!!!!METALMETALMETAL!!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] I love metal! criss oliva was and is my guitar hero, he was just badass!!The TAGE RULES!!!!!
            subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
            www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Comment

I love Oliva's guitar playing. I used to have the "Streets" avatar myself. (as a matter of fact, it's still my avatar on the EZ-Board forums - interesting coincidence that it's called an avatar huh?? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) I prefer Savatage with Paul O'Neil. (Hall of the Mountain King and on) He had a way of bringing out the best in both Jon and Criss. I have never heard another player who plays with as much emotion as Criss did.

I really wish that I could go to the Memorial Concert that they're holding for him.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

BTW... Power Tab is a tableture program that also has a built in Midi player. It will actually play what is transcribed. It's pretty cool stuff. Check it out.

Power Tab
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                  Caffery just as good as Oliva???!!! Pitrelli can shred with the best of them????

.....Not on my watch!!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It might not come across if you just listen to their album work, but if you've ever seen either of them go off on 5 minute solos at live shows you might change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
                    Hey Bill,

how about some links so I don't have to search all over the place [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Oh and see above for the description of Power Tabs. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll assume you were talking to me since I made the original comment. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I assume you've looked here:
                    Savatage Tabs as your primary starting point for Savatage tabs?

Wanna try to duplicate his tone? Check out his gear.

Comment

I have Oliva's tone Nailed!!!

No need for links , tabs and whatnot....

been around long enough to know these things...

Cleveland Metal and I are probably the biggest Chris Oliva fans here...Fukk Savatage ...Chris was Savatage!!!

I've talked to Caffery for quite some time ...he'll be the first to say he's not half the guitarist Chris was ...Caffery has gotten better and has always played with heart ..and that shows..

Pitrelli is a fukkin' dick head , his ego far exceed his abilities...that's what I know [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] !!!!

and Alex is a different story all together... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Jeff300,

Na, I was telling Bill to look at the reply you posted explaining what the power tabs were.

I found some tabs, but I was really looking for the power tabs, and a lot of the tabs I was for Hall of the Mountain King were wrong. I know it's tuned to drop C and I saw some tabs that were playing it in standard tuning.
                        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Hehe, what a thread...

Yeah, Chris Caffery would not be happy with anyone saying he's as good as Oliva, I assure you that. He does about the best that I've seen with that material. And wow, what a nice guy too. Talked at length with him, class act.

Pitrelli?? Good guitarist... Total idiot, and quite bogus in person. He doesn't deserve to play Olivas material in that band. It sickens me.

Skolnick. Awesome player. Was talented enough to get a Chris O Vibe. He doesn't really dig metal much anymore.

I've met Chris Oliva, he was a great guy always seemed to have a second to BS. Savatage died when Chris died...

[ August 04, 2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

Amen Brotha [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                              Hehe, what a thread...
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It sure is. I'm sure no matter what I say now I'm going to get blasted, but anyway... [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Ok, we all seem to agree that Skolnick rules, and that its a shame he's given up metal for jazz.

Perhaps I shouldn't have stated that Caffery was AS GOOD AS Criss. I should have said ALMOST, at least at playing Criss's material.

As for Pitreli, now you've got me thinking. I've been around enough now that I generally respect your opinions and you usually know what you're talking about (Bill and Cleve). Yet, my experience with Al the two times I met him was that he was a class act.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
                              [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X