The greatest Randy solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The greatest Randy solo

I'm with LouSiffer on this one. The tribute solo is unsurpassed...

However, it is followed closely by Revelation, SATO, Tonight, and Mr. Crowley.

Comment

He did a great live solo on Tribute for No Bone Movies. Apparently, this song was like Little Dolls, where he only had time to lay down a dummy solo in the studio because the recording was so rushed.

Even 20 years after his death, I still consider Randy in the top 1% of all guitarists historically.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

My ALL TIME favorite solo from any artist is 'Diary of a Madman'....probably my favorite song as well.

That solo is unbelievably perfect in every way from the haunting echo to the perfect phrasing and understatement of the whole thing.

Just the perfect musical statement to an awesome song!
        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Mr. Crowley and Revelation Mother Earth. Wait... Over the Mountain. Wait... Crazy Train.

I CAN'T PICK!!!
          [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Mr. Crowley, of course.

Comment

By a mile....the LIVE (Tribute) solo for I Don't Know. The first time I ever heard that song was the live version (on King Biscuit or whatever that used to be called), and I didn't even know who it was at the time. They were chugging in Am just before the solo, and the BAMB they drop to Gm and he hits that first note of the solo and it sounds like it is coming out of nowhere and knocked me on my a##. Just as I was getting up and trying to pick my jaw up off the ground, Randy does the palm-muted quarter-note run down the neck and my jaw drops again. I LOVE that solo. It's my favorite by a MILE.

Comment

I had this weird bootleg Randy solo/demo album ....anyone remeber that disc????

You guys already mentioned my RR faves already [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I love his feel in "Goodbye to Romance" My bro John could always nail that ...that's why he's in da band... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

A guy in a local band here did the Crowley solo in "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor, which his girl singer did a great job of singing. The song IS the same progression as Crowley, and those who heard it either loved it or hated it! I thought it was pretty cool. He did it PERFECTLY, BEAUTIFULLY well too!

For me, Diary of a Madman, Steal Away, and Mr.Crowley are my favorites, but I could listen to the CDs and my list would just keep growing. Randy wrote magical solos just like it was breathing.

[ August 06, 2003, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

It's a tie for me. I LOVE the Tribute solo I get wood just to hear Ozzy mutter "MR. Randy Rhoads..."

and I also LOVE the solo he created for Children of the Grave off of Tribute.

If i were Toni Baloney,Aah, I mean, Iaommi, I would have quit playing the guitar after hearing my song (Children Of the Grave)FINALLY take on a life form and have feeling for the first time.

Randy tears up that solo without going overboard and brings life to that boring old Sabbath song.

SHAWING!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                      I had this weird bootleg Randy solo/demo album ....anyone remeber that disc????
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I had a cassette tape of that, if it's the one I'm thinking about. It was a live recording, but not in front of an audience. It had Mr. Crowley, You Said It All, and another song I can't remember now. Excellent playing by Randy.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

i like some of the solos on randys quiet riot cd

Comment

OK, i'll probably get some heat from this, but everyone has mentioned most of his best. Except Dee. Probably one of his most under rated pieces. Dee may not be one his fastest or most technical works but it holds up well to everything else mentioned.

Comment

yea dee is good on my cd with quiet riot he plays laughing gas with a solo at the end he plays dee its live too

Comment

Mr crowley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy train! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Studio: Diary of a Madman and Over the Mountain!
                                Live: Mr.Crowley on After Hours. The version he plays there is so awesome, that it makes me wonder what else was he capable of? I've seen that version about a thousand times, & everytime I see it, it blows me away!
                                1990 Jackson Professional
                                1992 Dean ML
                                2004 Epiphone Flying V
                                2005 Epiphone Dot
                                2009 Fender Stratocaster
                                2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                                2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                                2006 Fender P Bass
                                2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                                1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                                1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                                Custom Pedalboard