Testament, 08/07/03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testament, 08/07/03

Gonna see them this Thursday in Essen - should be great, with Chuck back in full force, and I've always wanted to see Steve DiGiorgio ripping on bass as well!
    If I'm not mistaken, the guys there use BC Rich and Dean guitars, but I'll know that for sure in a few days anyway. Anyone care for a gig report? They'll co-headline with Annihilator, should also be fun.

Re: Testament, 08/07/03

Congrats man, that show will definitely kick ass!

Both Testament and Annihilator were awesome in Wacken! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Steve DiGiorgio did some pretty crazy things on the fretless bass, too.
    And yes, the Testament guys use Dean and BC Rich guitars.
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Yes, Testament were great in Wacken!!
      Really a good selection of songs. You`ll enjoy them for sure.

Comment

I'd like to hear a gig report!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I know Eric Peterson uses Dean guitars, but he's been endorsed by ESP for a very long time, also. Is he no longer with them?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just got back...
          They only played for a little more than an hour, but they KICKED F@CKING A$S let me tell you! Even got my hands on a drumstick [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          More details tomorrow... maybe... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, the show was totally kickass. Even if it didn't look so good at the beginning.
            At 5pm, we entered a bus driving to Duisburg train station - one hour in a hot bus with sucky air, yay... 6.10pm, our train left for Essen - again, hot cabin with sucky air. Rather exhausted, we arrived in Essen at 6.30pm and went to the subway that would take us to the venue. Having arrived there, I didn't even want to leave the sub because it was really cool in there, and upstairs there were about 38°C awaiting us... yuck.
            When we finally arrived at the venue, there was only a handful of people waiting- I expected the place to be rather crowded, as Testament isn't exactly an unknown band, but oh well. Doors should have opened at 7pm, but they wouldn't let us in until the soundcheck was finished, so we had to wait until 8.15pm. The guy at the door was a complete asshole btw, he yelled after everyone who inquired when doors would open that they were "****ing ugly anyway". [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
            The first band (??? Society, they claim to be from the Bay Area) started playing in front of about 25-30 people. A crying shame methinks, as they were quite good - their lead guitarist played a short solo, mostly tapping, alternate picking and some FR tricks, but he played some nice solos within the songs as well, including some sweeps as well. Couldn't see the brand of the guitar, sadly, but he used a Peavey 5150 (or was it the Mesa Dual Recto..) and it sounded really great. The other guitarist played a USA Warlock with the regular headstock. The guys played for 30 minutes, and next in line was the 2nd support band, Prejudice.
            They sucked. Period. 2 guitarists, drums & vox - no bass. Both guitarists used LTD 7-strings, and they sounded like ass. Totally muddy, one could see that they fretted some notes but it sounded all the same. Left after one song.
            Anyway, after a looong break, Testament entered the stage at 10.20pm - there were about 200 people there now, btw. Probably less. They opened with Eerie Inhabitants, the intro was played from tape and after the intro solo they started playing. I stood about 0.5m (2 feet) away from Eric, who used Dean guitars throughout the set - he started with a V, changed to an ML I think and used a Cadillac as well. His rig was quite simple, nothing more but a Crybaby Wah and an Engl Savage fullstack (I stood about 3.50m away from that one, hence my ears are still ringing). Steve (Smyth I think, the lead guitarist anyway) started the set with a red BCR Mockingbird, I couldn't see whether he changed guitars during the set or not, though. He also used a crybaby and a Savage fullstack, I couldn't hear any of his leads though. Bummer. Couldn't hear Chuck Billy very good either, but it was enough. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Steve DiGiorgio used his fretless most of the time, and used a pick for one song, but other than that he ripped. I love that guy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Chuck is in very good shape again, thank God, he was awesome on vocals and really got us going. He told us to do more stagediving... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Anyway, Testament played a rather short set (just a little more than an hour), but they definitely kicked ass. I'd love to see them again in such a small venue, I had no problems getting in the first row and there were barely any moshpits, so I could just stand there and bang my head like most of the other guys (and gals) there. The drummer (Jon?) gave one of his sticks to me, didn't score a plec though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Here's the setlist:
            1-Eerie Inhabitants
            2-Practice What You Preach
            3-Sins of Omission
            4-DNR
            5-Low
            6-True Believer
            7-Burnt Offerings
            8-Into the Pit
            9-Alone in the Dark
            10-The Haunting
            11-Trial by Fire