George Lynch argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Lynch argument

I have had an on going argument with one of my friends about Lynch. Maybe you guys can help out. He claims Lynch played Aria Pro II's on the Tooth and Nail album. I thought Lynch was playing Kramers at this time and experimenting with ESP's. In the liner notes he does thank Aria, and is pictured holding an Aria Pro II RS Knight Warrior, I have the same model of guitar. I have never seen any pics other than that in the cassette liner, nor have I seen any interviews with George talking about Aria Pro II guitars. Does anyone know the truth?

Re: George Lynch argument

I dont know for sure, but I heard it was one of those deals where Aria gave him some dough, and he posed for a few pics, but didnt use them on the album production, or on tour. I saw them several times back on that tour, and never once saw an Aria. Kramer and ESP was on the bill.

Comment

Doesn't the Tooth and Nail album also say he plays Randall amps? Has anyone actually seen him playing through a Randall? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have seen pics where he has the Aria, but I saw him about 8 times live and never saw him use one. (or the Randall)

Comment

he did use that Aria crap for a very short time back in early '84 then quickly switched to support T & N..

That was the last time he used a Randall as well

He's a major Bogner fan !!!!!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I believe he got that endorsement deal the same time that Jack Bruce and Ynqwie Malmsteen got their Aria endorsement deals. Aria was very popular in the early to mid 80's. They were giving all the majors a run for their money. Especially BC Rich. I am sure there are some pics of Lynch endorsing Aria.

Comment

I always got a kick out of that photo - I've never seen another with him & Aria. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Didn't he play his Bengal Charvel around that time too? Lynch was (is) a TOTAL gear slut, so I wouldn't put a lot of stock into anything said there. Lot's of folks thank certain manufacturers in the liner notes and play the stuff live, but in the studio, it's all smoke & lights - they play EVERYTHING there. They might be a Mesa endorsee, but actually play Bogner/Diezl or something like that in the studio. Lynch was a notorious gear-changer, but his TONE was unquestionable...

[ August 13, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

into the fire video it's an aria pro II... as if the regular aria's didnt have what it took, one must have the pro II model or you are not a real man [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

dave

Comment

I've got an Aria Pro II XR neck (Jackson/Kramer ripoff - Kramer pointy head with Jackson sharkfins) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  So I guess I'm more manly than Lynch? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yes...he used to have one that had a skull and crossbone pickguard on it. I never saw him play it though...just pictured with it
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

George stated in an early article that he wanted an endorsement, just because he could get one. Aria was one of the only ones to step up to the plate. Remember, George was just another LA metal guy at this time, Dokken was not very popular in the US, until after Tooth and Nail was released. I think Aria only gave him 2 or 3 guitars, and I'm certain that he never used them live or recorded with them. There is also an Aria Pro II featured in the Into The Fire video, with a weird multicolored graphic. George did use Randalls, at least live, and I believe that he recorded a good portion of Tooth and Nail with Randalls. Back then they were making pretty kickass tube heads, but he ultimately switched back to Marshalls. Again, this was probably a 'freebie' thing, where he used them only because they were given to him, in quantity.

Comment

Yes!, George definatly played thur Randall amps live! I saw them back around`82,`83 live at a club setting. They blew the doors off the place! I couldn't belive the sound George was getting out of those Randalls! This was around the time "Breaking the Chains" was just starting to be played on the radio and to my suprise, the club was practically empty! I was in the front of the stage for the whole show. I think Don Dokken was a little pissed at the size of the audience and the fact that people weren't reacting to his every word! What an ego maniac!!

Comment

Yeah, he used Randall live. Buddy of mine was a bigger fan than me went to see him and confirmed that was his backline or part of it, I think that was about '82-83.
                          How Dokken ever got that band to name itself after him is beyond me. Many an argument has ensued from my comments about the wimpyness of Don Dokken's voice. Maybe it's just his style, but similar singers like Joe Lynn Turner I think just slay him.

[ August 15, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

I've got a Video of Dokken from around that time and he was using ESP and MArshall then.
                            I have heard things to the effect of him using Aria Pro II's though. I know Neil Schon did. Neil had a Les Paul copy that was just killer. Looked like the real thing but the HS was different.

Gil

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
                              Yeah, he used Randall live. Buddy of mine was a bigger fan than me went to see him and confirmed that was his backline or part of it, I think that was about '82-83.
                              How Dokken ever got that band to name itself after him is beyond me. Many an argument has ensued from my comments about the wimpyness of Don Dokken's voice. Maybe it's just his style, but similar singers like Joe Lynn Turner I think just slay him.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don Dokken's studio voice is outstanding and was and is still regarded as a benchmark for 80's metal singers. Pilson was no slouch on backups either. He was always included with a handful of singers at the top of everybody's lists in the 80's.
                              Dokken, Dio, Halford, Ozzy, Tate, Roth, Meine, Neil, Lee etc.. Don Dokken was always considered one of the best. I saw him very recently and he nailed every song. He still has chops after all these years. Actually, all of the above singers still sound outstanding. Especially Dio and Halford.

Comment

Working...
                              X