Chuck Schuldiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Schuldiner

Anyone here knows what guitars/amps/effects did he use when playing live or recording ? [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Chuck Schuldiner

BC Rich Stealth through a Marshall VS100.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep. He's also known for using a single DiMarzio X2N in the bridge position.

Comment

Right you are, Baum: Ace & I were just talking about Chuck's gear the other day! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I read some reviews about the VS100 saying it isn't a very good amp, is it true? As you probably got the idea from my other posts i am a fan of his music, so please share with me what you know about Chuck's sound. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Vik

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
            Right you are, Baum: Ace & I were just talking about Chuck's gear the other day! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a crying shame he's left us so early. RIP. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Vik:
            That's it. A very basic setup - the BCR and his Valvestate halfstack. I don't know whether he used a VS cab or a 1960, though. And seeing as Chuck used the VS for over 10 years and for extensive touring all over the world, it can't be that bad as an amp. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

RIP Chuck ! And thanks for all the great music !

So, how do you guys get his tone ? [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

With an X2N and a VS100 [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] well that's the easy way :-)
                  how about alternatives if you don't have a vs 100 ? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, they don't respond to playing dynamics the way a good all-tube amp does, and the build quality is not nearly as good either. However I think they have a good death metal sound out of the box, and obviously if taken care of they will last. Glenn Drover of Eidolon still
                    uses a VS8100 amp as well, so although there are a lot of better amps out there,
                    they get the job done in the death and other metal genres.

Not the amp for playing SRV, though a good player can surprise you with most any gear.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Am I right that Chuck used "old" valvestate i.e. 8100?

Comment

I didn't want to correct the VS100 post
                        but you're probably right, since the VS100 wasn't introduced until the later mid-90s. The 8100 was its predecessor and said to be better-sounding by most.
                        I have an 8040 1-12" 40-watt combo and it seems to sound better than the VS100 as well, though only 2 channels.

Oh yeah, my point: The VS100 didn't exist 10 years ago, so he couldn't have used it for 10 years. How long ago did Chuck die, a year or 2?

[ August 18, 2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

December 13th, 2001. 1 1/2 years ago.

Comment

There is an interview on emptywords.org where Chuck briefly talks about his gear, but doesn’t mention anything that wasn’t already said here.

“Let's talk about your equipment?

Well, I really have a simple set up. I've been playing the B.C.Rich Stealth for years now. I have three of them, one is a custom black one that is my main stage guitar, one is an emerald green that is really beautiful, and an old one that I recently stripped down. They all have a fixed bridge and one Dimarzio X2N pickup which is a key to my sound. My amp is a Marshall Valvestate head and cabinet, that's about it. I don't use effects except for a little chorus on my leads, I really like a basic setup.”

Whole Interview

I also remember reading something where Chuck stated that he used a Boss distortion pedal (never mentioned the model) on the first two albums, but stopped using them on Human because he felt the Valvestate offered enough gain.

Comment

What does the X2N pickup sound like compared to a bill lawrence xl 500 (which i use in my guitars) Are they hard to find? If not I might have to get my grubby little hands on one... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X