What was Vai's guitar in Crossroads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Vai's guitar in Crossroads?

I just caught the end of Crossroads (man, haven't seen that in a while) and I was wondering what guitar he used in the duel. I seem to remember something about this posted a while back but couldn't find it in a search. Anyway, here's what I saw, Charvel pointy head (with logo covered up), bolt-on, maple fretboard, two hum, Floyd, volume and 3-way toggle. What model would this be?

Re: What was Vai\'s guitar in Crossroads?

Just a USA Strat ... there were no "Models" other than the body shape .. IE Strat,Dinky,Soloist
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Thanks for the info. Was there ever a regular production model that had the same specs, Charvel or Jackson?

Comment

Yeah .. those guitars were custom shop but they were just regular production guitars ..
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Was there ever a non-custom shop line with those specs, for example: Model 4, Dinky, etc.?

Comment

Was that guitar a 2-hum Strat? I'm looking for pics and I can't find any.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

N/M... I found it. Yup. 2-Hum strat, chrome floyd, maple fretboard, black tuners.

A production model close to it? I don't believe so..
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Travis, back then EVERY Charvel was a custom shop guitar, so I'm sure there is more than one floating around with those basic specs.

Comment

There is one in the gallery, or at least there once was...

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was a Charvel- someone posted pics of the neckplate (obsessive or what? lol)

Jamesy (on a laptop)

Comment

Travis,

Hope this sheds some more light:

http://www.jcguitars.com/starvai.htm

Steve [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr White:
                          I'm pretty sure it was a Charvel- someone posted pics of the neckplate (obsessive or what? lol)

Jamesy (on a laptop)
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, unless it was one of the very early Jacksons with a true San Dimas Charvel plate, because the plate on that guitar was Gold/Black.. Not Silver/Black like the later San Dimas Jackson plates.. You can plainly see the color of it when he's doing one of those crazy whammy bar pulls that yanks the guitar up real high.

Travis,

Hope this sheds some more light:

http://www.jcguitars.com/starvai.htm

Steve [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't know why this guitar always gets brought up in this discussion [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , He never used that guitar in the duel, it's sitting in the background by his stack.. Nice guitar, none the less... but has nothing to do with the "duel" in the movie..

Comment

An old guitar player mag says it was a 'Jackson' logo'd headstock, but the last time I wrote this on the board (over a year ago) all sorts of sh!t broke out over that.

I just know what I read. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I also read that it was a Jackson logo'd neck that had to be covered up so they wouldnt get sued by Micheal Jackson [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X