SOLDANO: why did EVH rip it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLDANO: why did EVH rip it off?

Okay....so Eddie recorded much of "for unlawful carnal knowledge" with the SOldano SLO 100. That is common knowledge. He also played one for quite a while. I own a SLO and have played the 5150. It is common knowledge that the dude from Peavey used a SLO for a reference when designing the 5150......which to my ears, ,,,is by no means a SOldano SLO, if you know what I mean! My only thoughts are that it was all about money and an endorsement with big advertising and profits.....which clearly Soldano doesn't do. What do you think?

Knowing Eddie, I would have to agree, all about money and peavey was willing to give him a nice deal and soldano wouldnt.

In my opinion companies like Soldano and Bogner make a big mistake by not doing alot of endorsements. Look at mesa and peavey, they will endorse alot of groups, and in the return they sell alot of product.

I know there are different levels of endorsement, like with mesa some artists get completly free crap, where other endorsed artists get stuff at major discount, i am sure peavey does the same thing.

So i would say in the long run endorsing alot probaly pays off better then not endoresing.

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
    Okay....so Eddie recorded much of "for unlawful carnal knowledge" with the SOldano SLO 100. That is common knowledge. He also played one for quite a while. I own a SLO and have played the 5150. It is common knowledge that the dude from Peavey used a SLO for a reference when designing the 5150......which to my ears, ,,,is by no means a SOldano SLO, if you know what I mean! My only thoughts are that it was all about money and an endorsement with big advertising and profits.....which clearly Soldano doesn't do. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
      Knowing Eddie, I would have to agree, all about money and peavey was willing to give him a nice deal and soldano wouldnt.

In my opinion companies like Soldano and Bogner make a big mistake by not doing alot of endorsements. Look at mesa and peavey, they will endorse alot of groups, and in the return they sell alot of product.

I know there are different levels of endorsement, like with mesa some artists get completly free crap, where other endorsed artists get stuff at major discount, i am sure peavey does the same thing.

So i would say in the long run endorsing alot probaly pays off better then not endoresing.
      Just playing devil's advocate ... but perhaps "being boutique" is actually something these boutique amp builders actually desire. Obviously having your entire amp lineup featured in every Guitar Center across the globe is the key to big bucks, but it also takes away from some of the specialness these small-guys have as a result of their exclusivity.

-a

Comment

For Mike Soldano I don't think it is about being boutique. He originally designed the amp for himself. And people loved it and it went from there. What I love is the fact it has a lifetime warranty, they treat you like anyone else when you call for customer service and he won't change the design or build process. How many other companies have made great products only to sell out so they can be build at lower quality and higher quantity? Way to many. Not Soldano. And he has held true to that for a long time now.
        We must!
        We must!
        We must increase the bust!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!
        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Soldano ,Diezel ,Bogner,Cornford.They don't really need that much Endorsers.If they have ,they need to build more amps ,more employees ,bigger business etc...And that would kill the "special care" and "only the best parts" part of them.They Enjoy what they do ,try to stay small in business ,and keep living with doing the best amps of the world!And sorry but a 5150 do not have the mojo of SLO100..it's far away from that!
          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
            And sorry but a 5150 do not have the mojo of SLO100..it's far away from that!
            +1
            So true.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

It is possible to up production and still put the time and care into building an amp. Mesa boogie may not be your cup of tea, however each amp is still hand built with quality parts. And yes they take there time to talk to people that buy from them.

If you have a problem or question you call them up and you will either get someone right away, or they will call you back usually within 24 hours if it is during working days. And they are willing to talk to you about almost anything and not just blow you off.

Soldano, Diezel, and Bogner i do not really consider boutique companies anymore, yes they do not have the production of say peavey or mesa or marshall, but they still produce enough that i wouldnt consider them Boutique companies. The only thing that does not make them sell more, is they still keep there prices super high and do not endorse to many people.

When I think boutique i think of companies that produce under 1000 unites a year per model.

I will give it to soldano and bogner on offering the life long warrenty, however it only goes to the original owner with bogner, and with Soldano I believe the SLO is the only amp that has it. For the price you are paying for a SLO is really worth it? I mean I like the tone of the SLO, but there are alot of other tones out there that i would rather have, to me the SLO is a great lead amp and an OK rythem amp.

Mesa will give you a life long warrenty if you are endorsed by them and buy an amp from them, so it is worth it even if you just have the lowest possible endorsement by them

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
              Soldano ,Diezel ,Bogner,Cornford.They don't really need that much Endorsers.If they have ,they need to build more amps ,more employees ,bigger business etc...And that would kill the "special care" and "only the best parts" part of them.They Enjoy what they do ,try to stay small in business ,and keep living with doing the best amps of the world!And sorry but a 5150 do not have the mojo of SLO100..it's far away from that!

Comment

I always thought of the 5150 as a cross between a Soldano and a Marshall.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would agree with that, or it is a slo with alot more gain.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I always thought of the 5150 as a cross between a Soldano and a Marshall.

Comment

you have to remember that Soldano and Bogner don't produce as many amps not are they the same size company as Peavey or Mesa/Boogie. Its tough to compete on the endorsement front.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well, its pure speculation as I'm not 'in the know' of firsthand been there type of info.
                      (so pretty much offhand observation bs here)
                      It was the appeal of a joint deal.
                      Soldano obviously wasn't going to make the Wolfgang. The guitar and its shape was well established as a quality instrument by his association with Musicman. For a production bolt on back then,(and now for that matter) the initial EVHMM weren't cheap either.
                      Peavey was big before Ed, but the joint association and venture held great possibilities gaining more exposure for both. It likely was also very lucrative or had the potential to be when being discussed from a business standpoint.
                      Both were well on the map before, but together, they could really go far.
                      It only made good business sense to partner with a sole endorser for both his amp and guitar design.

Is Fender larger than Peavey? I would say very much well more established.
                      Early on, Ed was pretty much laying the groundwork with strat and a bassman. It only made sense to make another leap to where he is now.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 11-23-2006, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Eddie went with the money. Plain and simple. I bet it was a truckload of cash considering it was both guitar and amp!
                        Unless you are actually in the studio with him.. you really can only speculate on what he used to record that record. My guess is that he used many different amps and set ups.

Comment

I wouldnt worry about what EVH used on a recording. Engineers have so many ways to achive tones. They use many tracks of guitars and blend em and EQ them different and process them. Most times they play the same part with different guitars and blend. Its all speculation as to what he uses in a studio. Only his engineer really knows. Playing as many amps with your guitar is the way to find your tone. There have been so many people who have used different rigs and have achived a brown sound so I dont believe its in just 1 magical amp or set up.

Comment

It's all about the $$$

Comment

I'd say for the price the SLO is worth it. After searching for my tone for nearly two decades and going through all of the gear that I did,,,,my SLO100 is above and beyond anything I've ever played through. And I really would have to disagree with the SLO just being an OK rhythm amp.
                              That's quite funny. :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X