No announcement yet.

SOLDANO: why did EVH rip it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless something has recently changed, the SLO's warranty is transferrable just so you guys know. It covers workmanship on components but not tubes and transformers for obvious reasons. They put a lot of up front effort in construction and component quality to minimize the risk of production flaws so it is worth the tradeoff to them in marketing value to offer the warranty. I bet they don't get a lot of SLO owners calling them about bad solder joints! ;-)

The funny thing is when you see clips of sessions even for MTV bands there is almost always an SLO somewhere in the control room or studio. So many people use these amps for recording that you don't hear about....you just hear the tone, LOL. Engineers probably like to have one around so when SUM 41 comes into the studio with whatever they happen to be endorsing at the time the production guys can just say.."here, use this." LOL

I firmly believe EVH falls in that camp, as well as tons of others. Then there are guys like Warren Haynes and DeMartini who use and have used them for years live.

Part of the decision for EVH going with Peavey was certainly the endorsement/licensing contract terms ($$$) but also the manufacturing power of Peavey. Peavey is certainly top 5 in terms of dealer and distribution network, name brand, marketing, and manufacturing ability and Ed would naturally select a partner that would be able to bring his named amp to the masses. I believe this was a factor, in part, that led to the split from Music Man.

The SLO is an all time classic amp that can do lots of things with a minimum of options, bells, and whistles. I think this is why studios love them because you can dial in great tones quickly. Same goes for Matchless amps, old Marshalls, and other no-frills tone machines. Plug and play!

I have a Bogner 100B that I love but even with that amp which is only three channels I find myself tinkering with half power, triode/pentode, voicing selections, etc. With the SLO I just plug in and it works and sounds like it should and there is something to be said for that!
    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Been through two slo's, one rackmount version and the other with every bell's and whistle you can imainge, both were great for lead, but when it came down to it just didnt care for the rythem.

But to be fair, i could never truly crank it, which i heard is key to making this amp sound great. However for the price, my JCM800 2204 with 6550's and a tube screamer in front was to die for!

Now I would like to try a slow again going into a cab with 75's, when i tried it i only had V30 cabs.

As to warren that someone else mentioned in this thread, from what i have read he only used his slo's for leads, all his rythem is done with a marshall. As to dimartini, after the glory years i am not sure what he used,i know in the 80's he used mostly laneys.

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
      I'd say for the price the SLO is worth it. After searching for my tone for nearly two decades and going through all of the gear that I did,,,,my SLO100 is above and beyond anything I've ever played through. And I really would have to disagree with the SLO just being an OK rhythm amp.
      That's quite funny. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
        sorry but a 5150 do not have the mojo of SLO100..
        But does it have the SOUND? That's what matters.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ok, before the SLO, what was the main recording amp for major guitarists in the studio? for VH's genre and sound that is?

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
            As to warren that someone else mentioned in this thread, from what i have read he only used his slo's for leads, all his rythem is done with a marshall. As to dimartini, after the glory years i am not sure what he used,i know in the 80's he used mostly laneys.
            are you sure, I've heard that they didn't used Laneys at all, those were just on the stage because they had endorsement deal with Laney. Everything was done with Marshalls. Anyway that's what I've heard and it's been stated here on this board many times too.

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
            Ok, before the SLO, what was the main recording amp for major guitarists in the studio? for VH's genre and sound that is?
            modded marshalls, Carvin X-100B, even old Boogies
            Last edited by Endrik; 11-27-2006, 09:09 AM.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

One of the Mod's new the band, so hopefully he chimes in, i think it is sully, but dont really remember.

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              are you sure, I've heard that they didn't used Laneys at all, those were just on the stage because they had endorsement deal with Laney. Everything was done with Marshalls. Anyway that's what I've heard and it's been stated here on this board many times too.

modded marshalls, Carvin X-100B, even old Boogies

Comment

I think Marshalls and Boogies were a defacto in studios pre SLO
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

And Fender, but yes mostly Marshall in the 80's with some bands using Mesa.

I recently saw a newer band called Chiodos, I got into them about a year ago, heavy influence off 80's metal, but still screamo, and the one guitarist was using a slo, he sounded really good, but he plays mostly lead in the band, alot of tapping and solo type stuff through out the song.

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  I think Marshalls and Boogies were a defacto in studios pre SLO

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                    Is Fender larger than Peavey? I would say very much well more established.
                    Early on, Ed was pretty much laying the groundwork with strat and a bassman. It only made sense to make another leap to where he is now.
                    You can certainly say that Fender is more established, but they've actually only been around about 15 years longer than Peavey. Peavey has also been the largest sound reinforcement company on Earth since the early 1980s.

Peavey was always known as the company that made cheap gear that was rugged but didn't sound that good. Their early T-Series guitars were nice players but ugly! Their guitar amos started getting good in the mid-80s but they needed a top-notch endorser to make their image catch up to the reality of their products. EVH needed someone who could pay him a boatload of money. It was a match made in the mint, it gave them a license to print money so to speak.

The 5150/6505 may not be a SLO, but it's a great value amp for the money and about 1/3 the cost of an SLO. Since not all players have unlimited funds it represents a nice metal amp at reasonable cost.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X