Loomis - Pod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loomis - Pod?

Hey, I was on a Nevermore high after listening through Dead Heart in a Dead World twice, and was thinking how kick ass the tone was, and was wondering what equipment he used. On the site, it says he uses a Pod Pro...so I guess I feel disappointed...like it's "that easy". I don't know, I have an aversion to the digital stuff, like it's some plague trying to mock tube amps, so when digital stuff gets a good tone...there's like a ping in ya that makes you give a little twitch. Oh, and another question, since it's just Loomis playing, and he does some harmonizing along with a rhythm in the background, what does he do in live situations? Just play one section of the harmony, maybe use a pedal to get the other harmony section?

Cheers,
    Nick

Re: Loomis - Pod?

They always have a second guitarist live and are constantly looking for a permanent replacement. I just read that in an interview at www.metal-rules.com yesterday.

Comment

awesome interview, thanks...and in the interview he says he uses a Triple Recto...so hell, that's better than a Pod, haha. Crazy websites...with their crazy misinformation...

Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

I was under teh impression that he used teh Rectifier Live and teh Pod in teh studio.

Comment

Actually it's the other way around, He uses the POD live and the Recto in studio! Sounds backwards but that's what he does. Maybe the POD is just more predictable in various live environments.
          I'm pretty sure Bill Z and John (CMZ) said he used the POD when they saw him live.

So he auditioned for Megadeth and predicted Ripper joining Iced Earth! What a life story he's already had, and so much more ahead of him too! What a cool outlook as well as an incredible talent!
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

yeah...so now the question is, how to get a killer tone like Loomis, without the "wooooooo!" of feedback! His tone sounds really gainy...unless the Triple is just naturally like that, with the huge chunk, and the big sound, and the harmonics, and mid-rangy solo tones...it's nice. Reminds me of...I think it's Bill's tone with the Ubershall. Could the triaxis compare? Bah! I don't know...I'll have to try.

Cheers
            Nick

Comment

Jeff said in the interview that in studio
              he uses the Recto with a Tube Screamer.
              How to avoid feedback with all that gain is a good question; I'd also like to know that.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I think Jeff Loomis has magic fairy dust. Like Peter Pan.

Comment

When I saw Nevermore on the DHIADW tour, I was up at the front of the stage, right in front of Jeff. His rig was covered by a big black tapestry, so you couldn't tell what it was. They opened the show with Narcosynthesis... but when the solo was supposed to come up, his rig died, the rest of the band played on. He was back behind the curtain for a good 10 minutes or so trying to figure out what the hell went wrong. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ September 07, 2003, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's all in Jeff's hands

He could play through a crate , peavey , mesa , marshall , pod ...whatever

....it still sounds like Loomis [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

POD and Line 6 stuff are very pretictable live many pro's have them in their rack for that reason... Michael romeo uses only a Vetta live. Still it isn't that easy you ahve to tweek and find your sound still. Plus as Bill said.. They can play whatever and still rule. All the good tone is still from awesome playing!
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

bull****, loomis came to my house once and played through a lil'smokie amp. it sounded like sh1t.

I was like, "Jeff, you suck, your tone is like dick dude."

and he was like, "well, if I had my Pod Pro, I would kickass"

and hten I was like, "yeah, probably."

and he was like, "for sure."

Comment

I hear ya [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                            It's all in Jeff's hands

He could play through a crate , peavey , mesa , marshall , pod ...whatever

....it still sounds like Loomis [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yep ! //Steve

Comment

I still think his sound during politics of ecstacy/dreaming neon black was far better than his playstation for guitars (pod) [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X