Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loomis - Pod?

Originally posted by Disco Dave:
    They always have a second guitarist live and are constantly looking for a permanent replacement. I just read that in an interview at www.metal-rules.com yesterday.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I've seen them with Curran and that dude from Jag Panzer and I know that Smyth from Testament is gonna be on the next tour. It's really surprizing that non of you guys have tried out for Nevermore considering I've heard some really hot playin' on here.

I would totally do it if I was willing to drop out of college and my chopps were up to par.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

His name's Chris Broderick. He's from Denver. You can find some instructional stuff on chops from hell by him as well. He is good. Though, Jag Panzer leaves me desiring a little more. Just my opinion though, I know everyone wanted to hear it. NEvermore kicks JAg Panzer in the balls.

Comment

well, maybe im not up to date, but i thought chris broderick (the jag panzer guy...he is a VERY good guitarplayer, by the way. just look on the jag panzer website, there are some little movies where he plays some mozart with two-hand tapping...very cool) will be the second guitarplayer on the upcoming usa tour. that guy of testament will only play the 2nd on the european tour, as far as i know.

fragle

Comment

Broderick is doing the US tour. Smyth (of Testament and Vicious Rumors) is doing the European tour because Chris couldn't go.

Loomis has used a recto and a Tri-ax/2:90 in the studio. The albums that Kernon produced were definately a TriAx and 2:90, as was DHiaDW. The new one is the one that featured more recto (from what I've heard, don't know about EoR specifically).

Every time I have opened for Nevermore, Loomis has been using and a pod pro with a crown power amp with some crappy effects processor.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I was just contemplating this, and figured I'd ramble a bit.

To those who say they tone is all in a person hands, Naaaah... Only in a limited sense. Nuance and talent are truly in your hands. But, "tone" is not necessarily there.

A good player, learns to use his amps tone and characteristics to compliment and bring out the special nuances, personality and character of his playing. They learn to work with the amp or rig, to take advantage of certain characteristics it may have and exploit them.

If they were to play through a truly crap amp, you'd be able to tell they were good and probably recognize some of the "cliche" phrasings. But, you KNOW it would probably not sound near as stellar as the player on the home rig.

Also, on the other, a player other than say Eddie Vanhalen, playing through EVH's first album rig, would not sound like him, or as good. The potential tone would be physically there. But the "new" player, wouldn't necessarily know how to take advantage of the amp's unique quirks and wouldn't have the physical nuances of EVH, so it would just not sound like the master of that rig would with it.

Basically, what I'm getting at, is that the spirit that is in the hands, use the special characteristics of the familiar rig to really display itself as a persons tone.

It's a package. The unique concept we refer to as tone, is in the persons hands AND the amp. Without both, it won't be the same "tone".

Comment

I agree with Cleve...it's the same reason that some of us are more comfortable with certain amps and not others.

Comment

But certain amps can also be tweaked to sound very differntly . For Example Hendrix uses the same basic Marshalls as VH or Malmsteen , Rhoades , Lynch , Page , Sykes , Uli , ..endless list.....They all plug into the same amp but all sound differnt.

Example: Drover played thru your rig and totally changed your tone within ten minutes ....It wasnt even close to "your" tone but it was "your" amp ....but it was "his" hands and ears that makes the difference ...It was his tone out your amp....they same tone I heard later that day with his Marshall....didn't notice much of a drastic change at all..sounded just like Drover..

Now we'll just have to get Loomis over your house and morph your tone into his until you put everything back to yours ...after he leaves..

That's the point I'm trying to convey

[ September 16, 2003, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ehh, that's just cuz my rig is so Godlike that it can do anything... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Aw, man, here he goes... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Just kiddin'. Matt, I thought Loomis told me they used a fair amount of Recto on "Dead Heart", too?

To be fair, I had been drinking. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Kiss my ass Dave ... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

(in an Eric Cartman voice)

Now THAT, is one BIG ASS...

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

OK OK OK ....I totally understand what you're saying. ...

Lets' agree that it's a beautiful marriage of both....unless you're all Whoores.... [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Speaking of Doglike tone, behold my Mighty Marshall!!

You may commencing drooling..........

Now!
                            [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Hey, I've got that same little Marshall!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Someday, Bill will have one that nice....

Comment

Working...
                                X