Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whatever respect you had for evh should be gone by now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whatever respect you had for evh should be gone by now...

[quote]Originally posted by lerxstcat:
    That's a great point, and EVERYONE includes Randy Rhoads! In his last interview before he was killed, Randy plain out said he adopted EVH's tapping and other licks to liven up his performances. Whatever dumb stuff Ed has done, he never climbed into a smal plane to buzz his tourbus. THAT was dumb, and
    Randy paid with his life for that stupid mistake. Always remember, if Don Airey tells you something is cool, don't do it!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">nope. and this crap can be argued til the cows come home, but randy put that stuff in his solos b/c it was popular at the time, and his students wanted to learn it. not saying he wasn't influential on rr's playing, as randy admits a bit of it, but he also said that it kills him that he (randy) does the tapping in his solos. and i'm sure that the plan wasn't to mess with the bus. don went up and said that he took some cool aerial photos and that it was fun. bad idea? apparently, but it's not like he knew it was gonna happen. just like if you were to go on a midnight taco bell run in your car, only to be T-boned and killed by a drunk driver. stupid move on your part? apparently. joking about someone's death is never cool.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Black Mask - EVH over-rated? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      Must be difficult to type in a straight-jacket. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ September 24, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

and to go a bit further into what a tool the guy is...the unedited comment from evh about randy, just after his death.

Did you know Randy Rhoads?

Yeah. Poor guy. He was one guitarist who was honest, anyway, becuase he said that everything he did he learned from me. And he was good. I mean, God damn, what a ****in' way to go-jerkin' around with the airplane. It was an accident, somebody had to have been ****ed up. You don't fly that low and smash into a crew bus and then hit the house. Just plain stupidity. I feel sorry for him. hey you never know, man. He might be up there jammin' with bohnam and everyone else who kicked the bucket.

He was the first cat to come after you and inspire....

Yeah, Oh sure. But I don't really think he did anything that I haven't done. What do you think?

He was different, but you could hear alot of your playing in his

That's what I mean. Just like anyone who does the things I do-obviously it's gonna sound a little different, but I can tell when someone's coppin' my technique. but there's nothing wrong with that. I mean, I learned from other people too.

classy.

[ September 24, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
          joking about someone's death is never cool.

sully [/QB]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Neither is joking about someone who's slowly dying before our eyes, but since he's not YOUR icon it's okay? Ed's basically following in his dad's footsteps, another guy who drank himself to death. You can say he's making a choice, sure, but how much is programmed in? The Randy comment was calculated to give you the same feeling you dish out when you proclaim mandatory disrespect for Ed. So it's okay for you to diss someone we respect, but not vice versa?
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Jesus Christ Rich ...

Why do you consistently go looking to start trouble with Sully. I swear you do it to prod him into an argument with you ... time to knock it off .. this crap has gotta stop around here ...
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Sully, what's the problem with Eddie's take on Randy? Grain of salt, dude.
              No one here knows what the situation was like when Ed made those comments...was it after a show, was he amped up, drunk, screwing with interviewer? I sure as hell don't know.
              I think Eddie and Randy are the greatest...why can't there be two? I just happen to identify with EVH more than RR. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
                The guy who has destroyed VH as well as alienated his fans over his so called copyrighted paintjob and gone so far as to stop people from selling used guitars that have that .. yeah what a role model. Futhermore I find it deplorable as a new member you would try and take a shot at an admin.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">KM, you mention that you are an 80’s guitarist (like me) and that Randy Rhoads was your inspiration and Legend. Now, if he were alive today (God rest his soul), and had behaving in the manner that Eddie has been doing, even then, there is no way I’d have trashed on Randy like we see here. I’d have some historical respect for Rhoads, you as a fan of his, and all the other guitarists and Rock fans out there who looked up to him.

And speaking of paying your dues, don’t you think that Eddie has earned the right to complain about being ripped off so much? And yes, he says some rude things about some people and issues in the Rock world, but look at his resume and tell me he doesn’t have the right to talk some smack. And I actually think he is right on with some of his criticisms. And for those who think he was totally responsible for the break-up of VH, I have three words to interject: David Lee Roth. And I can’t believe he’s being slammed for smoking a cigarette during an interview. So saying Eddie has no respect left in the Rock world is preposterous and outrageous BS. And it’s a sad day in the guitar world when someone can’t defend Edward Van Halen.

Maybe I’m out of line getting honked off that my favorite guitarist of all time is getting unfairly slammed. But in a lot of ways, I’m still that kid at heart who looked up to Eddie back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jsullysix:
                  joking about someone's death is never cool.

sully
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Neither is joking about someone who's slowly dying before our eyes, but since he's not YOUR icon it's okay? Ed's basically following in his dad's footsteps, another guy who drank himself to death. You can say he's making a choice, sure, but how much is programmed in? The Randy comment was calculated to give you the same feeling you dish out when you proclaim mandatory disrespect for Ed. So it's okay for you to diss someone we respect, but not vice versa? [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">okay, but i'm not joking about his illness or him slowly doing anything. i said that i was saddened when i heard of his illness and hoped he recovered. then i saw the pix i did, and lost all respect for the guy. i posted the news article simply b/c i thought it was funny. and yes, the fact that ed is mentioned makes it a bit funnier for me. but overall, i thought it was ridiculous much like when warren was supposed to play with dio. TOTAL stylistic differences in both examples, not to mention my mental image of him as a member of limp bizkit.

totally agree about addictions and programming, but we do have free will and the ability to impact change. if he chooses to not do that (and from the small amount we see in public, it would seem that way), then that's his problem that many will pay the price of. his family and fans to name a few.

i personally don't enjoy word games and calulating things to get rises out of others; way too much energy necessary for that. i also wasn't mandating anything.

i felt that what ed said in that interview was tacky in that he comes across as "yeah, poor guy.. but at least he was cool enough to own up to ripping me off." that's lame.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

No one ever earns the right to be an ass****. He can talk smack all he wants just like good ole DLR .. fact is Dave is all about sensationalism and nothing more. Just because you make money or run a country,play guitar on a legendary level etc doesn't give you the right to be that way anymore that a regular Joe who pays for those albums. I lost a lot of respect for Eric Clapton for speaking disrespctful of EVH and Brian May over the blues breakers album too. I've seen what Eddie has said and done over the last few years.. I think he's a tool for treating his fans the way he has. Those people made him what he is today.. I feel the same way about Metallica over the napster issue.....
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkopf:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by KMaynard:
                      The guy who has destroyed VH as well as alienated his fans over his so called copyrighted paintjob and gone so far as to stop people from selling used guitars that have that .. yeah what a role model. Futhermore I find it deplorable as a new member you would try and take a shot at an admin.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">KM, you mention that you are an 80’s guitarist (like me) and that Randy Rhoads was your inspiration and Legend. Now, if he were alive today (God rest his soul), and had behaving in the manner that Eddie has been doing, even then, there is no way I’d have trashed on Randy like we see here. I’d have some historical respect for Rhoads, you as a fan of his, and all the other guitarists and Rock fans out there who looked up to him.

And speaking of paying your dues, don’t you think that Eddie has earned the right to complain about being ripped off so much? And yes, he says some rude things about some people and issues in the Rock world, but look at his resume and tell me he doesn’t have the right to talk some smack. And I actually think he is right on with some of his criticisms. And for those who think he was totally responsible for the break-up of VH, I have three words to interject: David Lee Roth. And I can’t believe he’s being slammed for smoking a cigarette during an interview. So saying Eddie has no respect left in the Rock world is preposterous and outrageous BS. And it’s a sad day in the guitar world when someone can’t defend Edward Van Halen.

Maybe I’m out of line getting honked off that my favorite guitarist of all time is getting unfairly slammed. But in a lot of ways, I’m still that kid at heart who looked up to Eddie back in the day.
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">also an 80s guitarist who was a fan of vh until 5150 came out.

all i'll say is this: YES, the guy has right to talk smack. it's also the low road.

as far as DLR keeping the reunion from happening, you don't know the whole story. there's two sides of it (or 3 as gary cherone once claimed), and maybe, just maybe ed is as much of a pain in the ass as dave is? i just see him as a person, warts and all. how he's come across by his actions over the past few years is as a bitter little man. it's sad because i'm sure that he has plenty to offer the world if he'd just get some help.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i saw van halen destroy black sabbath in '78.
                        it changed everything for me. i loved jimmy page and all, but eddie made me want to pick up a guitar and learn how to play. yes he changed guitar, and also changed how they were played and built for godsakes. i have just as much respect and love for randy rhoads, but eddie was first, and his tunes with roth run through me
                        like a great shot of dope. i just can't bag on one of the most important musicians in the history of music. i am not a big fan of his stuff with sammy, i thought it lacked fire, but he was getting older and progressing as a songwriter. he does not have to do anything ever again, and i will still pay homage to my number 1
                        six string dude. i would have loved to hear what randy played at his audition for ozzy, cuz i have a feeling ozzy might have heard something that turned his head the way it did when he was getting blown off the stage every night by halen on the 1st tour. not necessarily evh's licks but the same west coast fleet fingered style that this board i hope is all about.
                        advice-evh, stay away from limp dick-kit
                        even if it was a joke, no need for that junk.

Eddie Van Halen is not overrated.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Sully,
                          What site is that Eddie quote from?
                          www.kiddhavok.com
                          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
                            Jesus Christ Rich ...

Why do you consistently go looking to start trouble with Sully. I swear you do it to prod him into an argument with you ... time to knock it off .. this crap has gotta stop around here ...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you're overreacting there, Kevin.
                            I disagree with his take here, and expressed it, but didn't get ugly about it. And although I'm flattered, if you'd drop the Jesus Christ and just call me Rich I'd appreciate it. I'm good, but not THAT good!
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                              all i'll say is this: YES, the guy has right to talk smack. it's also the low road.

as far as DLR keeping the reunion from happening, you don't know the whole story. there's two sides of it (or 3 as gary cherone once claimed), and maybe, just maybe ed is as much of a pain in the ass as dave is? i just see him as a person, warts and all. how he's come across by his actions over the past few years is as a bitter little man.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sully, I can understand why you feel that way. Your observations also fit with what Eddie has said and done over the past few years. I guess in my mind’s eye Eddie will always be the friendly, smiling, faultless person he was back in the 80s. If anyone hasn’t noticed, heavy metal fans tend to be a hardcore group of purists who don’t react well to criticism of their heroes. This is compounded by the fact that music tends to be a catharsis (an emotional release) for most people. So I hope you can understand my poor reaction to your initial post. And thanks for your welcome to the forum in a previous message.

Comment

I have an idea.

quit blowing smoke up the wrong chimneys.

your opinion is no better than anybody elses. But you're messing with the admins.

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X