Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whatever respect you had for evh should be gone by now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whatever respect you had for evh should be gone by now...

You CAN respect a persons talent even though they're an ass. If the guy is an idiot, who gives a rats ass, it's not like I'm hanging out with him(even though I would even if he was an idiot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). Seriously, there are A LOT of music talents out there that I love to listen to and I don't even give it a second thought if they are an "upstanding" human being. I like what they play/sing, not who they are....shallow? Possibly, but that's the way I am. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

funny you should mention axl... i was a huge fan of his when i was younger, and when i lived in hollywood, a friend of mine brought him over to my apartment one evening.

this would have been while the illusion discs were being recorded, and i have to say that he was one of the nicest people i'd met. he was really cool to everyone there, and we all hung out and talked. i remember he just saw phantom of the opera, and he was talking about how cool he thought it was. also after seeing my ace frehley tattoo, he invited me over to his house to play his kiss pinball machine.

he even brought a case of beer (budweiser) and weed for everyone. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

he was a super nice guy to me and my room mates.

sully

EDIT: dave, totally agree that you can be a fan of the work, and not the man.

[ September 26, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
        cut the guy the slack you'd hope for if it were you in the spotlight's glare. I don't direct this statement to anyone in particular, just as a statement of my philosophy.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EVH hasn't been in the spotlight for a long time man.. thats why he's getting criticized so much.. same deal with metallica, they've been the most influential band but now they're at the heart of every single dis and joke.. they don't deserve it, but its the way the world works, especially the music business.

Comment

Use the term "under scrutiny" if you prefer then. Either way, think whether your own life and acts would stand up under the same scrutiny, especially if you attained that fame.

One difference with Metallica is that James and Lars were unremittingly cruel to Jason the entire time he was in the band. It's not like he killed Cliff, you know. They treated him like crap from Day 1 until he quit 14 years later. That
          was straight-out abuse.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hey all Food for thought How will this thread look when EVH pass's on I'ld lik eto see how many of the same people are saying man Eddie was the best blah blah blah. Personally I'm thankful for the musicians I've had to see & hear in my life time so far. Like Yngwie Met him twice first time cool as hell second time he was almost picking up his teeth. Met Eddie once & he wasn't sober either but after a few words of saying my peace It's one of my great moments in life. Greatest moment in rock music for me was seeing Randy play
            when I was 11. The point is appreciate the work even if the artist is a complete tool other wise.
            In my opinion walk the mile in a life of them see where stand after that. EVH isn't a complete tool IMHO but to each they're own. Thats why they call this a forum right. Ron if i mispelled anything Blast away LoL [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
              Either way, think whether your own life and acts would stand up under the same scrutiny, especially if you attained that fame.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well I'd expect scrutiny going into music or any other spotlight job.. I can't say for sure if I could handle it or not, but I'd try because it comes with the job and if I couldn't, then I'd quit rather than bring myself down.. the media will also work at a$$holes the most, if they think someones arrogant, they'll shove it in peoples faces.. so in a way it depends on your character too, I'm a humble person so I doubt that I'd grow an ego and let it get to me. If an arrogant prick treats people like crap, and I don't care what he has accomplished (unless he saved the world from armageddon), then that prick deserves to be treated with crap.. thats how I see it.. in the end we're the ones that have put him/her on that pedestal. I'm not talking directly about EVH anyway, I actually always thought he was a pretty nice guy.. but anyway, there's lots of rockstars out there who are down to earth, so it can be done.. would I disrespect EVH? nah, but I also couldn't care less if people did.. I have better things to think about, like how am I gonna be a rockstar? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                he even brought a case of beer (budweiser)
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cheap Bastard!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I like the Axl story; it shows you that there are multiple sides to people. I'm
                  sure that, despite him partying you out and being cool to you, you must admit that there is plenty of evidence to support the Axl-as-tool thesis, like a destroyed arena in Montreal just to name one. He was nice to you; that's great, for you, but you must still intellectualy know he's a tool, and if you met him again today you might have a very different experience.

Another prime example of a well-known tool is Vinnie Vincent. I guess he's nice to you too, since you correspond at varying intervals, but is your respect for him diminished by his reputation for throwing fits and drugging out? Be assured I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I wonder if you've thought this through? I also know you're a Sex Pistols fan, and John Lydon's whole thing
                  is being a tool. There's just a dichotomy there, and I'm interested in how you resolve that for yourself.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

VV on the few times I met him was a nice guy.. but there's also skeletons in his closet as I've told Sully. Anybody can have a bad day as we all do and maybe short tempered. Artists are exactly the same so you can't judge them by one chance meeting. People like Gene Simmons pull no bones about being a jerk for money or sex. Then there the artist who in an effort for whatever reason to protect their cash flow treat their fans like crap. This had become evident over the last few yrs over the frankenstrat paint scheme. Now it's one thing to protect your likeness against companies from manufacturing that for profit... but to have ebay auctions pulled on items that were quite frankly around long b4 he even considered getting trademarks is an attack against his fans .. and that's wrong... you can be a guitar god but you still got there by the money of your fans .......
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

• Re: whatever respect you had for evh should be gone by now...

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] all great points, lerx! and yes, i'm a rather dichotomous person... i've been accurately described as someone who craves and loves harmony, but will bloody the one who disturbs it. yet oddly, not bi-polar! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

while axl brought beer and supplies, it was really a quiet evening, and sure, i'd definitely say he's got issues...to say the least! it wasn't an evening of partying, sorry if i gave that impresssion. but yeah, he's got his moments, that's for sure, and if i met him again, who knows.

just like anyone, a celebrity's response to you can vary on their mood, and how you come off to that person.

vv is a good point in that when i correspond with him, he's a very nice guy. then he drops off the face of the earth for a while, and i hear from him again. what's funny or at least ironic to me is that i had a vv dartboard when i was a kid! i don't know how he is in reality, i just know that i've had some nice conversations with him... we even talked about the shred vs. taste debate!

johnny rotten...he doesn't come off as an overt tool to me, i actually think he's pretty funny, and pretty intelligent when it comes to some things. i do think that if i met him, i'd almost expect him to give me a hard time, almost looking forward to it... kinda like a gallagher show; you know what you're getting into.not sure if that answers your question, though.

and to piggyback on kev's gene simmons statement... i've met him twice, both times i told him that i'm a fan of his work, and how they've impacted my life. the last time, he totally blew me off (at namm), and the first time, he took a shot at my ace tat. i can say that when i met paul, he was really nice to me.

sully

[ September 26, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Don't get me started on Johnny Rotten, the walking Bondage clothing ad!!!

Comment

I see what you mean; Johhny Rotten is expected to be, well, ROTTEN! You might feel cheated if he was nice!

I think maybe the fact Ed was a pretty nice guy at first, then got tight about
                          controlling anything associated with him, is why he seems worse to people than maybe he is. His attorneys patrolling Ebay probably don't know from trademark dates by looking at a guitar, and Ed probably can't be bothered to look for himself. Is it an abuse of his power to
                          control items related to and given value by his fame? Sure it is. Who here can say they haven't abused their power in whatever bailiwick they controlled, at one time or another? No one, that's who.
                          That's all I'm saying; cut the guy the slack you'd hope for if it were you in the spotlight's glare. I don't direct this statement to anyone in particular, just as a statement of my philosophy.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X