Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marty Freidman says everything sucks but Ibanez...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marty Freidman says everything sucks but Ibanez...

By the way...............the title of this thread does basicaly refer to what I quoted. Marty did say that nothing but Ibanez gave him everything he was looking for. In my opinion he just doesn't like anything else but Ibanez because Ibanez pays him to feel that way.

No offense taken Lerx. If I am offensive let me know. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

All in good fun here guys.

Comment

Jon, my point is that he didn't say "everything sucks but Ibanez", which was your headline. I'm not offended but since it's his life, I think it's stupid to spout the sellout rhetoric. I get it coming from the 18-year olds but not from the adults (30s-up).

Pete, I wasn't there, and if you say it was a tantrum, fine. I bet you'd throw a tantrum too if someone took out your guitar without your permission, and Marty has no way to know that you or Greg know what you're doing. Maybe you were offended that he didn't assume you guys could properly tune up and set out his guitar, but there are probably places he goes to where the locals aren't up to it.

I guess I should have said that if you touched his guitar without permission, he had a right to throw a tantrum. Unless it was called for in his clinic contract, someone else prepping his guitar shouldn't have been done, and it was out of line for
      that person to do it. If it was specified that someone else would do this, and Marty still threw a fit, then he'd be out of line. Since it sounds like he was surprised, I'd guess y'all did not have permission to touch his guitar, but correct me if I'm wrong.

[ October 02, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I don't think Greg or Pete did anything to Marty's guitar...

Comment

I'm sure they didn't do anything to HURT it, but Greg said "we" took it out of the case, tuned it and set it on a stand. That "we" indicates he was involved.

Now WE all know Greg and Pete (or whoever else "we" meant) are extremely qualified
          to treat a guitar with care, but Marty's
          not a JCFer. If someone you didn't know
          pulled your guitar out of its case at a gig, you would probably not like it either. That's my point. It makes you think they could've walked out the door with it for one thing. If you're not expecting it, it's a bit of a violation.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

well we'd all get pissed if someone we didn't know was handling our guitar without permission.. but on the other hand you're there for a clinic, there's a bunch of kids there to see you, its not right to throw a tantrum like that.. just hold it for after the show, or just get a life [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] you get your fukkin guitars for free anyway.. it just sounds immature to me... probably woulda gotten more respect if he said something like "well i don't like people messing with my stuff, but I appreciate the help." If he gaves two sh1ts about the guitar he wouldn't have left it unattended anyway..

[ October 02, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

No, I really mean that I don't think that Pete or Greg touched Marty's equipment. I remember when this first happened, they never mentioned anything about handling anything of Marty's at all. But only they know for sure.

Comment

The title of this thread is designed to incite a flamey thread too. No offense
                Jon, but what you quoted had no bearing to the title you used.

"Who's been fukking with my fukking guitar?" doesn't sound like a tantrum; it sounds like no one asked before they grabbed it and tuned it. Sure you were trying to help, but he didn't ask for your help. Whoever touched it without permission was out of line, not Marty for being pissed about it.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
                  Marty has become a little freak now. He has no interest in metal and wants to play "modern music for the chicks" <------- HIS WORDS.

We here in Tulsa now refer to Marty as Marty "freak out" Freidman. When he came here to give a guitar clinic, he threw a fit onstage like a little girl that someone had touched his guitar and tuned it. There he was onstage in front of 100's of kids and the first thing he does is throw a little temper tantrum and state "For fuks sake, who's been fuking with my guitar". All we did was take it out of the case, tune it, and put it on a stand.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Notice the last sentence of Greg's quote,
                  Boxcar.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                    Jon, my point is that he didn't say "everything sucks but Ibanez", which was your headline. I'm not offended but since it's his life, I think it's stupid to spout the sellout rhetoric.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jon,
                    I have to weigh in on Rich's side here. Your thread title is a false quote, apparently only for the purpose of sensationalism. What is this,
                    the Weekly World News ??

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm questioning the need for more than one thread on the same topic.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Actually Greg and I didn't touch his guitar... Greg was using a universal 'we' - there were several people helping set up, most of which were guests at GuitarXpress before the clinic.

I guess we could have avoided the guitar tantrum by just letting Marty grab the 4x12 out of the guy's car, ditto for the BV amp (marty just came with a guitar) and lug the gear to the stage and set it up however he wanted.

Regarding the sound tantrum - we could have avoided that one by letting marty get behind the faders and setting it up to his satisfaction. Just imagine the sh!tstorm he would have thrown if someone played his guitar into the amp for a soundcheck.

Hopefully his roadies are well paid.

And as for his not being able to recognize his own signature model - uh, I don't see how we could have fixed that. I think marty knows as much about gear as I know about plate tectonics - if it works he's happy. I quizzed him one on one regarding the crate Blue Voodoos - his satisfaction regarding them boiled down to the fact that they weren't marshalls and didn't seem to break down. He didn't really care how they sounded, just the stuff I typed above. It was an interesting conversation for sure.

Pete

Comment

Fair enough, but the "universal we" is a new one for me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I imagine he wouldn't have cared about the amp because he didn't bring an amp,
                          just his guitar. The fact remains that if it wasn't spelled out that someone was
                          to prep his guitar, then no one should've
                          touched it. Sounds like the evening went downhill from that precipitating event.

It's pretty typical for clinicians to show up with their guitar and use local amps and PA, so why wouldn't he expect that stuff to be set up and ready, and he
                          would deal with his guitar? I'll grant
                          that it sounds like he overreacted, but you should realize that someone presumed to touch his guitar without permission, and that person was out of line to do so.
                          You might get rather upset in the same situation, having someone you don't know
                          whatsoever grabbing your guitar. If someone had asked if he wanted them to do that, he'd have said no, and there would
                          not have been a tantrum about THAT issue.
                          Maybe he'd have still gotten mad at the soundman, maybe not. He was already mad by the time he dealt with the soundman though, so it was more likely that he would get PO'ed aout that too. That's just what happened.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

As far as I could tell (I was only about 7 feet away) was that his freakout wasn't that his guitar was handled... it was that someone actually TUNED it. He started messing with it and was cursing - like from the sheer gall of someone to actually tune a guitar for him ruined some weird mojo or something.

You just had to be there I guess. What you are saying makes sense, but the way Marty acted didn't.

Pete

Comment

I didn't doubt that Marty threw an anger tantrum. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] As much as I like his playing he is a dick. I was just wondering why greg and/or anyone else would touch Marty's guitar with his permission. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

I wonder if he has shellshock from Jackson fans showing up at his clinics and razzing him for switching? Since Jacksonheads are brand-loyal in the extreme, he might be catching grief in every town. Sounds like he had a raw nerve that day, anyway.

Other than this incident though, and the general anger that he went to Ibanez, I have never heard that he was a dick. Are
                                there more such stories out there? Did
                                this alleged dickitude go undetected in the shadow of Dave's greater dickitude
                                before he left Megadeth?

I sort of agreed with his rationale for not wanting to be in a reformed Megadeth.
                                He's right; the music was awesome and very influential in it's time, but there are MANY bands today doing MUCH heavier music. If you can't do it to the top of the form, why do something of lesser quality than most of the Scandinavian bands have been doing for years now? Let
                                the legend rest; we don't need Megadeth's
                                version of St. Anger, do we now?
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X