Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marty Freidman says everything sucks but Ibanez...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marty Freidman says everything sucks but Ibanez...

Everything was done AT MARTY'S REQUEST!!!! He asked for a Crate Blue Voodoo amp turned backwards, that's what he got. He asked for a stool to sit on, that's what he got. He asked that "we" or "the people there" help carry everything in and set it up so he didn't have to do anything, that's what he got.

Marty was a strange character. He went around the store picking up USA Jacksons, would give them one tiny acoustic strum and say they were no good. The only 2 guitars he like there was that killer string-thru Warrior with the cross inlays and a blue quilt-top Kelly.

I took my King Kelly up there and and handed it to him. My King Kelly is as big as Marty! Marty looked at it and couldn't even tell that it was twice the size as his own signature model. He couldn't tell the difference. For one thing, it weighs twice as much!

Comment

Sorry RacerX. I guess I must have over generalized. No, he didn't say Jackson sucks. He said no other guitar could give him what he needed even though Jackson gave him everything he needed for 12 plus years. It's just how I interpreted it I guess. Sorry if I have mislead or deceived anyone here with my thread title.

Comment

it is a sad day when a artist goes from a USA KELLY to a ibanez! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

A little off the current discussion but I have 2 questions.

1 What's with Marty's hate for Marshalls? did Jim Marshall pee in his apple juice?
          2. Why did he want the amp turned backwards?
          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
            A little off the current discussion but I have 2 questions.

1 What's with Marty's hate for Marshalls? did Jim Marshall pee in his apple juice?
            2. Why did he want the amp turned backwards?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just guessing here, but:

1. Marshalls break down a lot. That sucks at live shows, and the quoted comment above that he likes the Blue Voodoo amps because they don't break down on him. Could also be that Marshall doesn't give freebies to anybody.

2. With the cab turned backwards you can crank the amp more without having as much
            volume in your face; probably easier to control unwanted feedback too.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the answers Lex. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I liked the story on the DVD "Rude Awakenings" that at the end of his time in Megadeth, Marty's wife would have to help him walk into the studio and help support him as he was on the verge of collapsing. What a baby! If your unhappy LEAVE!

Comment

Lex hit it on the head - although I'm sure that Crate probably gave Marty as many amps as he wanted, since they need credibility much more than Marshall does. If Marty endorsed Marshalls... big deal, he's lost in the sea of guys. For him to endorse Crate, he's a big fish in a little pond.

Turning the speaker cab backwards (not the head, just the cab) is a way to crank an amp louder onstage and not kill people the amp is aimed at.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                    I'm questioning the need for more than one thread on the same topic.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So delete this one then.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sounds to me like Marthy had "Podunk Syndrome" where the only thing he knows about Oklahoma is the musical, the Westerns, and the old country songs like "Tulsa Time", so for someone from/in OK to tune his guitar would be like Jethro Bodean filling in as a Space Shuttle Commander [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I get that sh!t from those worthless bastards who come to TN from Michigan or NY or wherever up North - they expect everyone here to be like the Beverly Hillbillies or those guys from Deliverance, and they treat everyone like we're two evolutionary steps below them.

Makes me wanna set the fuggers on fire [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

And Marty did state that Jacksons were only good for shredding, which is not only a bald-faced LIE but a damn stupid thing for someone who played them for years to say.
                      If Martha can't do Jazz inversions on a Jackson, then there's a problem with his technique.

Newc

[ October 06, 2003, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yea, that'll larn 'em [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:

If Martha can't do Jazz inversions on a Jackson, then there's a problem with his technique.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I agree. I play my Jackson in a jazz big band and have no problems with it. It doesn't make the best jazz guitar sound, but it still works.

Comment

well maybe in his new playing style he was going to start with some off tunings just think what jimmy page would have said back in the day!

Comment

I'm still puzzling about Marty freaking out about someone tuning his guitar! If it's in tune then why act the fool right? Or maybe he uses some compansated version of standard tuning.

Comment

I'm with you on that newsc I live in Ky and get that same stereotypical crap. Do you wear shoes?Is your sister a good lay?Do you have an outhouse?
                                It is generally people from New Jersey that ask the really stupid questions. New Yorkers are ok in my book but people from Philly are just plain RUDE and pissed at the world for some reason.
                                OH YEAH Marty is a great guitar player.
                                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X