Stryper Concert Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stryper Concert Last Night

Great Show! They rocked the house with mostly older stuff from "Soldiers Under Command" and "To Hell with the Devil". Unfortunately, they did not wear any yellow and black spandex. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Michael Sweet played a PRS and a Peavey. He did have the original yellow and black RR1T on a stand front and center, but he never picked it up.

Oz Fox played his Wayne Signature guitar, his original Charvel SD (same shape as the Wayne) and a Soloist. The only pedals he used were a Tech 21 OD and a Mark Tremonti Wah. They all used Peavey amps.

Tim Gaines and Robert Sweet are such a great rhythm section. Sweet beats the snot out of the skins.

I was able to get my RR1 signed by all of them and talked to Oz about his guitars. He loves that Wayne. Both the Wayne and the Charvel have the same setup, 1 Duncan Distortion and a chrome OFR, but the Wayne sounded much better. I thought the Soloist had the best tone out of all of them, though.

The opening acts were, um, well....shall we say, uninspiring. The lead guitarist for the second act had a Randy Rhoads T-shirt, though. As Doc Dryer would say, 'Nuff Said.

If you were thinking about going to see them, go check em out. They still rock out.

[ October 03, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: fritzreiser ]

Re: Stryper Concert Last Night

Sounds like a great show! Congrats on getting your geetar signed, and thanks for the review!
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I saw them for the In God We Trust tour, and the opening act blew chunks - Rocket Boy. The rhythm guitarist used a huge Gretsch-looking thing like Brain Aetzer, and broke a string on EVERY song [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I'm sure he thought he looked like he was really working the guitar, but to me it looked like he was just being overly hamfisted.
      The lead guitarist was an outright JOKE! He had (I think) a black Model 1 that was held together with duct tape, and his guitar kept cutting out whenever he'd do a solo [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      After about the third song I yelled at the guy to get a real guitar and drop the jalopy he was playing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I mean, seriously, I know touring can tear up a guitar, but damn, have some clue about making sure your gear works or go the fk home.

Stryper, on the other hand, rocked flawlessly. They didn't throw Bibles out (they said someone stole 'em), but they threw picks and sticks. I don't remember what all guitars they used, but I do remember Michael used the Rhoads for about the whole show. Oz had a doubleneck at one point, and I think he used the Charvel pointy thing.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I was wondering when those dudes would get back together and tour again. I also saw them on the In God we Trust tour, with Hurricane opening. All in all a pretty good show. It was actually my first big rock concert.
        Brian

Comment

Just got back from the 2nd show and it totally rocked. Oz played a different Soloist tonite; it wasn't yellow and black. It sounded huge! Clearly the best tone on either night.

Comment

Fritz, what did you think of Mars Hill, and my buddy Chip {black guy with either a PRS Sgl. cut or flametop Les Paul}? He's owned a ton of rare Charvel/Jacksons, now a convert to Les Paul's.

[ October 04, 2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Mr Graphic ]

Comment

I can't believe there are this many people willing to admit they listen to Stryper. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Graphic:
                Fritz, what did you think of Mars Hill, and my buddy Chip {black guy with either a PRS Sgl. cut or flametop Les Paul}? He's owned a ton of rare Charvel/Jacksons, now a convert to Les Paul's.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Doug, Mars Hill was a great band. I was on the opposite side of the stage from Chip. I saw the PRS and he looked to be playing out of a Bogner XTC. They actually went on first with Paul Lewis going on second. It worked out for Mars Hill as they got to play about 40 minutes but Paul Lewis got pulled after 4 songs because the show was running late. I would've liked to talk to Chip after their set, but I was up close to the stage and the place was packed tighter than a Falls Church parking lot.

Btw, Doug, if you talk to Chip, ask him what he thought of Paul Lewis. Sheesh, that guy was a trip. No more Red Bull for him.

Comment

Waho Sh*t Stryper was in Puerto Rico the first time in 1987 or 88, and I got pissed of then because of the situation. My brother was studying at 4 hours away from my house in The University Of Puerto Rico in Mayaguez, and he bought me the ticket. He sent me the ticket with a couple friends of him. They were getting late and late. Another group of friends of mine came to invite me to go to the concert, but I was 15 or 16 years old so at that time I didn't have any money, so I let them go, imagine, I almost cried (if not because at that time that band was one of my favorites and that concert will have been opened by Loudness, another favorite). Then my mother told me that if I asked for the money for the trip she would gave it to me... Stryper came two times more, I didn't went to that concerts. Then Michael Sweet came with Sin Dizzy to Mayaguez Puerto Rico, and I didn't went to see none of them shi... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] But I tried to fix that since 1992 when Slayer came. I only lost 5 concerts since Slayer, in wich concert open a local band named Whisker Biscuit, and nobody liked it. Then they transfomed in Puya, now the we (the puertoricans) like it. They
                  opened the Kiss Psycho Circus 3D Tour. Last saturday came Twisted Sister. On October 31 there will be Anthrax.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:

After about the third song I yelled at the guy to get a real guitar and drop the jalopy he was playing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good 'ol Newc, makin' friends wherever he goes! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I got my tix finaly!!! Wooohooo!!!!> I'll be there on tuesday. Who else is going?
                      House ofr blues on the 21st at 9:00
                      Gil

Comment

They really should have booked Toronto or at least Buffalo. Please play one of these cities!
                        I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

Working...
                        X