dio on the warren issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dio on the warren issue

Jan, Akkerman, good call!!! I sometimes forget about him, but even though Focus had one hit, Hocus Pocus, I still see Jan as even more obscure than Roth, at least as far as widespread influence goes. I think people were not yet ready for that level of technique when Jan and Uli first presented it, but when Yngwie came out 5 years after Van Halen, the metal riffs arms race caused everyone to glom onto it.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
      As mentioned already.. Warren did sit with Whitesnake. I have a bootleg video from Ebay filmed during a euro tour and they're in Holland or the Netherlands. Warren basically just jams on the solos, he doesn't cop what Viv, Sykes played note for note. While what Warren did was still cool and tasteful.. it was him doing his style solo-wise in the format of Whitesnake material.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually.. Viv didn't play on any Whitesnake albums... He was a hired gun for the tour. Maybe you mean Vandenberg.

[ October 11, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
        Well, Viv was only added in originally for the "Still of the Night" video. Coverdale and Vandenburg already knew each other by that point--I think he actually played a solo on the Whitesnake album that was redone long after Sykes was gone. If I recall, Coverdale has said that he had tried to get Adrian in the band even before that. Of course, Coverdale has a tendency to "rewrite" the past in his interviews.

In any event, the Whitesnake 1997 European tour with Warren was long after all that stuff. I thought the Warren/Dio thing seemed wrong from the start--I don't hear their styles meshing at all. I'm no big fan of Craig Goldy, though.

Of course, I would like to see Ronnie start working with Tony Iommi again (who seems to just be sitting around doing nothing). They could start a new project together and not call it Dio or Black Sabbath--that would rock!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, I'm all over what you said, Tony and Dio should get back together. To me that's the real Sabbath, my first memory of Sabbath was The Mob Rules and as far as my memory/childhood is concerned that is Sabbath.

Dio and Warren were never a match, I remember when the whole issue came up and I got flamed for not being a fan of the teaming. I still hold firm though that it would have been an awfull match. Ronnie needs to go back and find a relativly unknown player with the chops for the job, like a JCF'er! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

While I still think Warren COULD HAVE done a good job in that gig, it's apparent he didn't give RJD or his music the respect of woodshedding it so he'd know the material. Maybe he's just not as versatile as I thought he was if it was a real problem for him. Like Boxcar
          said, I'll bet there are quite a few JCFers who could play that stuff to a tee
          because they respect the music and have learnt it right!

Although I'm old enough to remember the first Sabbath album come out, I do remember liking the direction of Heaven and Hell a lot. Having said that, to me
          it sounds like Rainbow with more plain lead playing - though for Iommi it was an
          improvement and again, I liked it.

Sabbath gained some fluency and updated their chops, but also lost the doomy tone
          that was their early trademark, with H&H.
          Ozzy was ingrained in that style though, and he was history at that point, so why not change big?
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The Mob Rules tour was my first concert--I was a 14 year-old dweeb and was blown away by how cool it was. That was back in the days of general admission arena seating, when you had a huge line outside the arena and a mad rush for seats after they let everybody in. My friend and I were these kids competing with a bunch of scary-looking '70s dudes for seats. Crazy stuff!

I think Heaven & Hell is every bit as much a classic in its own right as is Paranoid. A different band, in many ways. Mob Rules is a bit darker, with a doomier more "Sabbathy" sound.

Iommi and Dio make a great writing team. Ronnie has a tremendous ear for melodies, but his riff collection has gotten rather mundane lately. He could really use Tony's amazing talent for writing great riffs. And Tony needs to do something, ferchrissake. I think the musical world has basically lost Ozzy to the world of useless celebrityhood. Working with Dio would be a good step for Tony, even if it wouldn't be as commercially successful as trying to work with younger musicians.

Comment

I would have liked to have heard Warrens style in Whitesnake. I personally like it when someone plays something different, IF I like their style.

I hated it when Graig Goldy first took over for Viv in Dio. I just plain didn't like his style or his sound. And when Tracy G took over the spot, well that made me sick.

I have Videos and Cd's here of Vivian doing Sabbath and Rainbow stuff with Dio and I LOVED what he did with it as I felt he blew away Blackmore and Iommi.

For me noone has been able to do that with the Dio stuff Vivian recorded. Now I also saw Steve Vai with Whitesnake and although he did none of the clasic Whitesnake stuff note for note, he was amazing and noone complained about that.

I love Geogrge Lynch and I heard him Doing Mr.Crowley and was less than impressed. I think it all depends on who likes what as far as someone fitting in and doing note for note Versus their own thing, BUT like I said Dio had Tracy G as aguitarist and I cannot see any way in hell he could have been dissatisfied with Warrens Style.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Vandenberg!

Comment

ahh, it's with a "e".. I was wondering.

Comment

Well, I haven't seen Viv or Ritchie with Dio, but I saw Viv with Whitesnake, and
                    Ritchie on the Deep Purple reunion tour for Perfect Strangers, and Ritchie Blackmore is way better than Vivian Campbell in my book. Coincidentally,
                    when I saw Purple the opener was Giuffria
                    with Craig Goldie. A year later I saw Dio and again - Craig Goldie. I would actualy say Craig is technically a better player than Viv, but Viv is a lot more interesting to listen to. Except now that he's in Def Leppard and has lost his fire. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rich,

When I saw Craig Goldy, and when I watch the Video back( I was at the Spectrum for both that and the first Special from The Spectrum with Vivian) Goldy was doing all these dumb slides and stuff up the neck and using the tremolo just all the time making noise with it, and while he did sound like he may be more technical at times, I didn't like his solos in the stuff and I hate that he uses delay so much. At least on that tape he has delay on everything it seems.

Like you said Viv was more interesting to listen too.Plus Goldy wasn't playing a Charvel [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think Ritchie Blackmore is great, but he has admitted that he cannot remember how to play anything he comes up with. He has some great solos, but when I heard him live, he was just playing what sounded like a bunch of mess to me. That was on the Rainbow Stright Between the Eyes tour.
                      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Yeah, that was near the end of Rainbow
                        and he had been drinking a fifth of hard liquor per day since the "Who Do We Think
                        We Are" era. He was prone to saying he had to do it to bring himself down to the other players' level, and talked about having pre-show enemas too. In other words, very full of BS.

Having seen the Perfect Strangers tour, I can tell you he remembered his Deep Purple solos and played them almost note for note. I think he was sober by then though. In Long Beach, California, they played a Perfect Show for the Perfect Strangers Tour.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Blackmore didn't come in halfway thru a song and toss water at the camera person?.

Comment

I can't say he didn't do that, since I had a very good buzz that night, but I know those solos, having learned many of them note for note laboriously, and I go
                            to most concerts primarily to see how well they do the solos. If he had botched the solos I would have hated the show regardless of my love of the band's music. I cite Zeppelin on that count; I loved the studio versions, but it made me sick how poorly they did their own stuff
                            live. Shooting heroin before you hit the stage will do that to you!
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X