Warren DeMartini = George Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren DeMartini = George Lynch

I just noticed, these guys have almost identical styles. They sound almost exactly the same. If you watch them, they're hands even look the same.

Question is. . who copied who?

No doubt about it, they do have some similarities in their playing. But I don't really know if it's a direct influence, or just the era they came from.

Lynch is quite a bit older than Warren and probably had developed his style long before Warren came along.

I think Warren and Jake E. Lee were roomates back in the day, so I would guess Warren was more influenced by Jake and Eddie than he was by George.

Comment

quick fact for ya here, at one point, George Lynch got the gig with Ozzy, and Warren De Martini had to go over to his house and show him how to play the tunes for the upcoming tour. Not saying he's the one who taught George in general, but they both are very similar, but I like Warren's playing better, got more blues in it and groove in it to me, at least when it comes to comparing it to his playing in Dokken. I think Warren is a lot catchier. Just my unhumble opinion.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I tend to agree on Dokkens stuff VS Ratt, however the first lynch mob album, well to me george was on the money, as they say, to bad that album came out to late, it probaly would have been a major hit.

As to Warren Teaching George, I wouldn't be surprized, some people are just not good at playing other peoples stuff. I personaly suck at it, even my own music i never play exactly the same when it comes to solo's, just my style.

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
        quick fact for ya here, at one point, George Lynch got the gig with Ozzy, and Warren De Martini had to go over to his house and show him how to play the tunes for the upcoming tour. Not saying he's the one who taught George in general, but they both are very similar, but I like Warren's playing better, got more blues in it and groove in it to me, at least when it comes to comparing it to his playing in Dokken. I think Warren is a lot catchier. Just my unhumble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
          Yeah that reminds me of an old interview I read with George where he admitted he sucked at playing other people's leads note for note. Oh well in any case George and Warren are both in my top 5 favorite guitarists of all time.

Comment

In one interview with George, he talks about Warren copying him in the way he holds the pick.

They have "generally" similar styles. At least they used to. Warren got into a more bluesy style after the first few Ratt albums. George even said in another interview that he thought Warren's playing had digressed and he wasn't too fond of it anymore.

Being a Lynch fanatic, I'm sure I could tell a George solo apart from a Warren.
            Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
            www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

That's weird to say digressed when Ratt's tunes were always better than Dokkens. I guess george did get caught up in the arpeggio olympics that came out, and warren went more for the groove of it all. His playing on Detonator is ridiculously tasty as hell, and for the most part I feel very over looked. Same with Reach for the Sky. They're both great, I got to hang out with George once, he was really cool to me, and he liked my guitar better than his and he wrote it on the guitar after he was done jamming on mine.
              both are great, similar, yet still diffferent. End of story.

Comment

I think that Warren has more feel for the song,a way to give the song a more fluid and soulful touch.George has kind of a mechanical feel sometimes,to me.But I am still a big GL fan,don't get me wrong.I think the first Lynch Mob CD is a great example of GL at his best.I agree with Tommy that Detanator was a really good showcase of Warren's talent.Both great guitarists.........
                Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Warren copied Lynch when he was younger, listen to Out Of The Cellar, Warren sounds a lot like George, he even used Lynch jack-off vibrato a lot. But Warren improved so fast all the time, durning the late 80's he didn't sound like George at all. Warren was very bluesy and had a jazz players feel, and his playing with slide was also killer. I think Warren's best playing is on the Detonator album, it just smokes.
                  That being said Warren has always been a lot cleaner, while he nails his solos almost every time, George always does some weird stuff live and is sloppy a lot of times.

Now RATT vs. Dokken. Ratt sounds like an American band, Van Halen meets Aerosmith. They got the groove and the sleaze with blues swagger and whatnot. Their songs are just so fucking cool.
                  Dokken sounds like Scorpions, wich is ok but Ratt is much more fun.
                  Dokken doesn't have much groove wich is usual in European rock and heavy metal bands, but George had so many cool ideas wich makes Dokken worth listnening.
                  Lynch Mob sounded like an American blues based rock'n'roll band, it had groove and it was fucking awsome. I'll take Mob over Dokken anytime.
                  I guess it was Don's idea to sound like a German band
                  Last edited by Endrik; 12-04-2006, 02:53 AM.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

the Lynch Mob destroys Dokken for my taste in music. I love more blues based groove tunes. If george found oni a lot sooner they could have gone far. Oni logan is the perfect type of voice for a rock band. What happened to that guy? I met him in Florida once, we were both shithoused to say the least.

Endbat!!! I'm home, and up all night tonite, give a call or vice versa. what time is it over there?

Comment

same here, I love blues based groovy music.
                      Tommy, here's one of the latest interviews with Oni, check it out http://www.sleazeroxx.com/interviews/loganint.shtml

It's 10:30 here
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Tommy,you were shithoused?I just can't believe that........
                        Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Warren has admitted to copying George's vibrato and splayed finger picking technique and you can hear it all over the early Ratt material.

As for the Ozzy gig, Warren was helping George because of the short amount of time that he had to learn the material...it wasn't because George wasn't able to do it himself.

I dig Warren but his early playing was heavily influenced by Lynch.

Comment

In an older George interview, George was talking about trying to steal Warren's old Marshall that supposedly had "the tone". He said "Warren stole my style I figured I can steal his amp." Wish I could find that guitar mag, it had some funny stories.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE View Post
                              In an older George interview, George was talking about trying to steal Warren's old Marshall that supposedly had "the tone". He said "Warren stole my style I figured I can steal his amp." Wish I could find that guitar mag, it had some funny stories.
                              I remember that article. George was over at Warren's house for Warren's daughters birthday party and he went and actually took a couple of old Marshalls but he didn't get "the one". Funny stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X