Clear All

Dokken Rocked
    Ratt Rocked
    Lynch=one of my faves
    DeMartini=one of my faves

End of story

Comment

Originally posted by mudkicker View Post
      six of one/half dozen of the other. No comparison here. They are both great at what they do best..
      in your direction's lead rocks!! it's one of my favorites.

Comment

that and the end of Back for More.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

cannot get enough of Ratt Out of the Cellar...

Comment

I think Warren's grace is that he understands and accepts where his talent lies and goes with it, wheras Lynch wants to be an Yngwie and he's not quite at that level of ability. Hence his attempt at going to MI where he ran away from the school full of 17-year-olds that smoked him technically.

Lynch should accept that he has a uniquely great style and tonality, a grip on the fretboard that no one else has, instead of being frustrated that he never became a Paul Gilbert or Marty Friedman level of player technically. A lot more people know who he is due to Dream Warriors than any of those guys anyway. They're better players but he's the bigger rock star even though nowadays, not so much.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

One time at NAMM, maybe early to mid 90s, I was getting George's autograph at the ESP booth. As he was signing the picture for me I said, "George, you're the greatest guitarist!" His reponse was, "Not even close anymore" with a look of disappointment on his face. I told him it was all about the style, but he didn't seem to believe me. Yeah, he thought he had to keep up with Paul Gilbert which was impossible.
              Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
              www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

That's sad; he should be smiling and thanking the people who say that to him!
                Sure he can't play like those guys, but he's got something great and unique. A unique voice is the best any player can hope for, whether he's Angus Young or Steve Morse. If you've got THAT, you've got IT! Be happy George!

Ronnie Montrose learned that early on. I remember a Guitar Player mag interview when Montrose was big and he said "When I started out I wanted to be the best guitarist in the world. Then I realized it was a big world."

That's the healthy attitude. Do what you do well, appreciate the other guys. There are so many players that are great, for different reasons, but almost always because of what's unique in their playing.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Dokken has a much broader body of work. I love Ratt too but I will be the first to admit that they had some albums with only a few good songs out of 10-12. Now.. regarding Warren vs George, I go by live performance and the several clinics I have seen along with the instructional videos.
                  George has a HUGE grasp of soloing and chordal structures. Comparing George to Warren live... no comparison. George is a much better live player and has 1,000,000,000 times better live tone. I think that Warren excels in fills. He has also recorded some totally classic solo's. Some of my favorite solo's of all time are from Warren.
                  Regarding their playing styles, this is how I compare them. Since they both have similar styles I always fall back to which guitarist is more creative and which one is harder for me to rip off note for note.
                  I can rip of Warren with minimum effort. I am not saying he isn't good... I am just saying he is pretty easy to rip off note for note. George on the other hand... has many solo's that are so complex it required alot of practice to even get close. I compare George's creativity to EVH's. George's ghost harmonic bends and that vertical bottleneck vibrato that he came up with are both incredible. I also like how George is VERY in tune to the gear that he is using. Not just guitars but both guitars and amps. Remember... George had a certain Marshall amp that many pro players used tp record their tracks. George also experimented alot with delays and nobody can deny that his ESP signature guitars aren't great.
                  Bottom line is they are both great players but my breakdown gives it to George all the way.

Comment

well I have dozens of bootlegs of Ratt and Dokken/Lynch Mob.
                    Warren is always ON and has a great tone, George is 50% of the time sloppy as hell and has a very annoying fuzzy tone, he never gets his studio tone live.
                    Just my observation.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Personally, I'd take Warren over Lynch anyday. Warren has (on record at least) a great sound, great composition and a great sense of melody.

Lynch may be technically more adept, but Dokken and Lynch Mob just bore the shit out of me. I was kind of on the fence (even after Wicked Sensation) when friends were just saying that the music sucked and people were just waiting for the guitar solos, and then I saw some clips of one of his Instructional DVDs where he appeared to have the personality of a beansprout. However, I still wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt so I bought the Dokken: Live in Japan (1995?) DVD which is just embarrassing. Lynch just stands there, starring down at his guitar and playing all manner of meaningless, forgetable leads - don't get me wrong, he sure can play, and maybe he's a genius, but I don't wanna listen to him!
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I bought the Live In Japan DVD too Neilli and I felt the same way.. It was kinda embarassing.. I mean it's not something I'd show my friends if I want to show them the "magic of Dokken" f you know what I mean.. Other than that I like Lynch's live tone.. It's heavy as pfuck! Like a freight train.. hehe
                        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

+1,000,000! Advice to Lynch fans - do NOT buy the Live In Japan DVD.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

warren is the joe perry on steroids of the next generation after the 70's for me. he's just cooler than george, cigarettes and all-lol
                            I am old, i go by the keith Richards theory of if what's coming out of the speakers sucks, then it sucks, and warren writes a catchy tune to my ears. it's all opinion and what you like anyway, neither is better, but on a desert island i'll take a ratt box set over a dokken one anyday.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

chicks dig Warren more as I've heard
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx View Post
                                I just noticed, these guys have almost identical styles. They sound almost exactly the same. If you watch them, they're hands even look the same.

Question is. . who copied who?
                                Coincidence?
                                Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                                Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                                Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Working...
                                X