Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Lynch was Ozzy's guitarist before Jake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Lynch was Ozzy's guitarist before Jake?

According to

http://www.hotmetalradio.com/artist2...rtist=Badlands

Interesting slice of the LA scene, anybody confirm that's all true? I remember attending the Ozzy/RATT tour - at Long Beach Arena (of "Scream for me Long Beach!" fame [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

I think it was '85. Dang I'm old! [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: George Lynch was Ozzy\'s guitarist before Jake?

Yep. 100% true. Jake says he walked in for the audition...George was there...Ozzy points to George and says "the gig is his (Jake's) you're fired"
    Jake says it was not pleasant. I have the article somewhere - it's in a Guitar mag where Ozzy's guitarists rate their time with ole shuffle feet.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I can't confirm it, but that isn't the first time I've heard and read that before.

Comment

Yes George says it somewhere on the web. There 1st choice was Gary Moore, but he kept saying no.
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

If i remeber Right

Geo. Was called in to finsh the tour after Randys Death.

So he was just a hired Gun, not in the Band

Comment

I thought Brad Gillis finished out the tour after Randy's death.. He's on the live album and I saw him (Brad) on an MTV special that I saw back in the day...

Comment

After Brad and before Jake, was Geo.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Yeah I knew about Brad. Here's an Ozzy bio

http://www.livedaily.com/artist/bio/549.html

I'd sure like to see Jimmy's Guitar article though! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

...and before Brad Gillis was Bernie Torme.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Michael Schenker was asked as well.

Comment

Do any of you guys know why on the VH1 Ozzy Behind the Music, they just skip all of this? You know, Randy dies, and they go through the whole traumatic experience, and the drugs and all that, and then somehow, just skip all this, and get to Zakk Wylde being Ozzy's guitarist...how many years later? Really confused me...

Cheers,
                      Nick

Comment

They skipped a lot of stuff on that Ozzy VH-1 BTM show, but remember, it is only an hour-long show. To put all of the nitty gritty in would require a very long show!

Here's the major sequence:

--Randy died in mid-1982
                        --First Bernie Torme (ex-Gillan), then Brad Gillis (later in Night Ranger) finished out the Diary tour. Shortly after that, Brad played at the NYC gig at which "Speak of the Devil" was recorded with all of the Sabbath material.
                        --Jake E. Lee joined in 1983 after the Diary tour was over, but apparently after George Lynch held the gig for a very short time. Jake recorded and toured for the Bark at the Moon and Ultimate Sin albums.
                        --In 1988, after Jake left (was fired?), Ozzy hired Zakk, who was then going by the name of Zack Star, as his new guitarist--he was recommended by Ozzy's bassist, if I recall correctly (which I probably don't).

Also, the whole deal in the VH-1 show about Sharon singlehandedly resurrecting Ozzy's career after he got fired from Sabbath is bullsh*t, if you believe Bob Daisley's account in recent interviews (which I do--Bob was sober at the time, unlike Mr. Osbourne). Apparently, Ozzy had already had one failed attempt to put together a band in 1979 and had moved on to working with Daisley and Kerslake in England even before Randy entered the picture. According to Daisley, Sharon's brother David Arden was managing Ozzy at that time on behalf of their father's management company. Sharon supposedly did not really enter the picture until after the Blizzard of Ozz tour.

But of course, that wouldn't make as good a story, would it??? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Joe Holmes isn't mentioned either; he was the guitarist when I saw Ozzy at the Hollywood Palladium in 1995? or 1996?
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

So Zakk has never gone by his real name in his career! Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                              So Zakk has never gone by his real name in his career! Interesting...
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm dumb, What is Zakk's real name?
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X