Helloween/Jag Panzer/Beyond the Embrace review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helloween/Jag Panzer/Beyond the Embrace review

Drove to Toronto Friday night to see these guys, as I have been a big Helloween and Jag Panzer fan for many, many years. Beyond the Embrace opened for both of these big hitters, but failed to impress me much. The music was OK, but the vocals sucked so bad that it ruined it for me.

Jag Panzer, on the other hand, ruled. Harry "Tyrant" Conklin just about blew the top of my head clean off with his supersonic range, and the band played spot on for about 45 minutes. The setlist consisted of a good mix of old and newer stuff, including Battle Zones, Black, Iron Eagle, Warfare, and others. Chris Broderick destroyed the place as usual with his six string mastery of blistering solos - goddamn, he just plain rules everytime I see them play!

Helloween came on and I managed to get in the front row on the corner of the barrier. They opened with "Starlight" and the place went nuts. Michael Weikath was a mere six feet from me, and looked so cool with that creme Les Paul custom! He also played a black LP Custom, as did second guitarist Sascha Gerstner. They ripped through 2 full hours of CLASSIC sh!t like "Keeper of the 7 Keys", "How Many Tears", "Power", "Future World" and a bunch of stuff from Better than Raw and the new one, Rabbit Don't Come Easy. Weikath just plain ripped through the most difficult of songs and solos with ease, a Marlboro dangling from his lips most of the time. Markus Grosskopf was a madman, thrashing all over the place and laying down that classic Helloween thunder. Stefan Schwarzmann (ACCEPT's drummer) was blasting the kit like a freaking machine! Man, what an amazing performance....it was definitely worth the 20 year wait I had to endure to see these heavy metal legends!

I would highly recommend the new CD of theirs to anyone who still enjoy authentic heavy metal the way it is supposed to be played. Damn, we need more tours like this one to come across this ebonically plagued, true metal-starved country! HAIL!

Re: Helloween/Jag Panzer/Beyond the Embrace review

They were just in SoCal October 3; what a crazy tour schedule!? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Actually, with Chris, it would be the "seven string mastery of blistering solos." [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We played with Panzer last night in Springfield, VA, and they were awesome - nearly two hours of excellent Panzer stuff, from old to new. Pity the crowd was so small...

I thought Beyond the Embrace were all right, but they need to decide between being In Flames and Sentenced.

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I was at the NY show Sunday. Amazing stuff, Jag Panzer was better than I've ever seen them (and I don't even like them).
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Two hours of Jag Panzer?? We were shortchanged at the SoCal show then. (a whopping 45 min)
          Got to chat with Mark Briody over a few brews, super nice guy with a good perspective of the metal scene today. Now if he could just dump the Telecaster...

Comment

Mark's really defensive about his Telecaster. He actually has a Modulus that he records with, but it never tours - he "takes the cheap sh*t out with him".

In fact, all of JP are cool guys. This is the second time we've played with them, and there's nothing bad to say - 20 or 2000, they play it like they mean it.

Broderick even played my Soloist 7 for a while before soundcheck, which totally destroyed my confidence for the evening. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I posed the question to Mark as "do you get alot of cr@p from people playing a telecaster on stage?", rather than blasting him for it. He stated that it stayed in tune better than his other road guitars. (We JCF'ers are such a biased bunch! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Comment

Brian there's nothing to explain, Jag Panzer just does nothing for me. I don't have to rationalize not likeing a particular band, they just don't excite me.

BTW, the guy from Jag Panzer was playing a white strat that night, not a tele.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Michael: yes, 7 strings - thank you for the correction! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Helloween completely blew me away. Those guys sounded so damn good, and Weiki is just so amazingly cool...

Chicken: ??? what don't you like about Jag Panzer? They are the complete package. Just curious.... All of the guys recognized me and took time to hang with me at the bar, since I have seen them about four times in the last two years. What a great bunch of dudes, and they make very good heavy metal music!

Comment

Working...
                  X