• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbed , Godsmack and Mudvayne ??

Here are the specific albums:
    Disturbed ---Believe
    Mudvayne ---The End of All Things to Come
    Godsmack----Awake
    I know... most of you are not fans. Heck, I am a shredder myself and there are no solos in any of their material but with that said I gotta say I love this stuff. The guitar tracks rip your guts out. It doesn't get any chunkier and the the guitar tone is excellent. The layering, drums, bass, vocals, are all very very good. Especially Disturbed. I find myself liking this type of music more and more. It is so heavy. I, for one, love it and I am beginning not even to miss the lack of solo's (I know its scary). What do you guys think?

Re: Disturbed , Godsmack and Mudvayne ??

Mudvayne might be the single worst band I ever heard. I have some live video of them, and quite frankly, I was insulted by how bad they were. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to have to withstand an entire show.

Comment

I do have Disturbed's Believe and think it's an awesome cd! My ex-wife had the Godsmack Awake cd, I listened to it a few times and thought it was pretty cool. Mudvayne, I've heard a few of their songs and think they're pretty good, especially the drummer and bass player.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
        What do you guys think?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you need me to send you a CD-R of some of the newer REAL true heavy metal bands.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just kiddin' - to each his/her own, I guess. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I hate godsmack.

mudvayne is ok the bass player and drummer have lots of talent.

disturbed....every song sounds the same. Sometimes that's a good thing. But this time its redundant.

Comment

JG-

I think they're playing good rhythm guitar, with really good tones - of course, with major-label money, you'd expect good tones. The guy from Disturbed is the best rhythm player of the bunch, IMO, since he has a nice grasp of the dynamics of rhythm playing.

As for Disturbed's singer, he's got a great voice - very flexible, and good tone. I like both their discs a lot, actually.

Mudvayne's rhythm section has some SERIOUS Rush moves going on in places. It's fun to listen to, and it was also nice to see them admit Rush influences in an interview I read. A few years ago, that would've been the kiss of death, so maybe actually being able to play is making a comeback.

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

What I like about Disturbed, and Mudvayne is that their arrangements are not predictable. They throw a few interesting time changes in there. Sorta Rush-like I guess.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I don`t care for Mudvayne, I like all Godsmacks stuff, and Beleive has it`s moments, but I like The Sickness CD better, much more angry [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I actually enjoy all of the above. It's different, and nice and heavy. But hey, I also like Kate Bush, and Tori Amos. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I love Tori Amos and have most of her cds. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mudvayne's newest CD is much better than their previous stuff. Their newest video is good too. Myself and a few friends who have seen Disturbed live were totally blown away by how good they sound and how great the show was. They came out all covered in talc or baby powder and it melted off of them as the set progressed. It really looked cool. IMHO, if you added guitar solo's to the Believe CD and changed the name of the band to Metallica I bet it would be considered the best Metallica CD since Master of Puppets. Have any of you guys ever heard Scrape?? They use Diesel amps and their guitar sound is fuggin killer.

Comment

Mudvayne's drummer is sick, and so is the bassist. The guitar work is merely solid, but I think "The End..." has some pretty good Pantera-meets-Rush moves on it.

"Awake", OTOH, has, I think, two good songs. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"Believe" is a very solid album, with some very good songwriting and excellent vocal work.

There's three things in common here, though - merely solid guitar playing, nothing spectacular. While I'd probably reach for my In Flames or Everygrey discs more often than any of these, they're still all pretty good listens, with the Godsmack being the weakest, IMO.

Of course, I'm about to put in a Bela Fleck & The Flecktones CD, so what do I know? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike

[ October 15, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Michael ]
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I wasn't commenting on the ability of the guitar players. I am commenting on the chunk and tone. These guys are playing kick a$$ rhythm guitar. It takes a good guitar player to play heavy rhythm's like these in a 1 guitar band. The bass players in all of the bands are good with the guy from Mudvayne being the better of the 3. The drummer in Disturbed is the better of the 3 and how can you deny the vocals and the mastery of the vernacular that the singer from Disturbed displays. I can understand ever single word he sings or screams.All 3 bands are very tight and I also hear a touch of Rush in the Mudvayne and Disturbed. I think it is their use of alternate timing and layered rhythm guitar tracks. The drummers in these bands are really good. I am not into having to know what their names are or where they are or were from. I don't know and I really could care less. I just enjoy cranking the music and enjoying what they have created. It is the pure definition of Heavy Metal to me.

Comment

I love Disturbed, but I'd love to hear solos over that great ryth.

Dan Donnegan, their guitarist, came up in the 80s, so it's not like they couldn't if they wanted to. Unfortunately, they don't seem to want to.

On a bright note, I see all the music pubs talking about "solos making a comeback." Which I assume is to hype it into being cool again, since the "popular" bands aren't doing it.

Except for that totally awesome solo Kirk did on St. Anger (Unnamed Feeling). It was only one note long but ...DAMN!!! What a note!!! (/sarcasm)

Normie
                            Who still wants to hear solos)

Comment

Normie, I want to hear solo's too. Thats why I crank Disturbed at home and I riff away and put all the solo's the songs where they should be.
                              I read somewhere that the guitar player in Staind studied under Tony Macalpine for 3 years. I have NEVER heard him play one solo. Go figure...

Comment

Working...
                              X