Testament-The New Order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testament-The New Order?

Can anyone tell me what the boys in Testament used on the album The new Order as far as Amps-Cabs-speakers-Effects go, I can`t get that sound out of my VHT Pittbull CLX-100 straight trhu my Madsion 4x12, no reverb-effects-nothing!! Jack.

Re: Testament-The New Order?

pretty sure eric was using mesa boogies and alex was using ada mp1's...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

In my opinion the best Testament album.
      I love the sound on that album. Good old 80s thrash sound.

Comment

I think I remember Matt Crooks saying once that there were Dual Rectifiers used on that album, I could be wrong...

Comment

Thanks guys, one of my all time favorites for sure!! If that is what Mesa Recs sound like, I am going to have to check one out, but I imagine they were using some kinda effects in there somewhere, maybe not? Jack.

Comment

Well, you've got the mixing board, any outside eqing to the guitar tracks, different mics, mic preamps, and the able hands of a good studio engineer just to start, so it's hard to get a finished sound off of an album out of your amp.

Comment

That`s what I thought, but I figured I would ask anyway [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the recto series had not been invented yet when that cd hit. Could have been a quad preamp or a studio preamp, or the mark stuff.

dave

Comment

Nah, Rectos didn't exist in 1987. The reissue of some of these songs ("First Strike Still Deadly") was recorded with a Recto.

Alex was, if I'm not mistaken, using an MP-1 into a Marshall head. I believe Eric used a Mesa Mark II, although I could be wrong - I know he used a Marshall on "Practice".

Mike
                  Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I've played my Mesa thru 2x12 and 4x12 mesa cabs and even with the bass on 3 I still got a bit o flub. It wasn't super predominant, but it was still there. With a pedal eq I was able to shape to sound more to my liking.

Comment

I've bought this album on vinyl some weeks ago! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Slayer, from either the Testament website or the Dragonlord website you should be able to email Eric Peterson. I've emailed him in the past and he's responded to me.

If that doesn't work, I have a connection who can *probably* ask him directly.

If you like your VHT, you'll be in for a big surprise with the Recto. It doesn't really scoop much, if that's what you're after. And it's difficult to dial out the low end flub and it can get a bit buzzy at hig gain levels. I like the overall sound of Recto's but my VHT (and yours proabbly as well) are a bit clearer overall IMHO.

Comment

I will give you that the Recto doesn't "scoop" much - the mid is very prominent.

As for dialing out the flub, I've NEVER had a problem with that. The Mesa's a little weird, though, in how the tone controls work.

Mike
                          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Mesa Rectos didn't come out until`92! The New Order album was recorded in`88. As far as gear goes, Alex used an ADA MP-1 into an 800 Marshall 100 watt head and then into Marshall 4x12's loaded with re-conded original 25 watt Celestions. Eric used Mesa Mach II's and III's with vintage green faced Furman PQ-3's into Mesa and Marshall cabs.

Comment

Thanks guys!! I love my VHT Pittbull CLX-100 and it has a verty scooped sound with the built in Graphic EQ thru the Madison 4x12 cabinet, I just couldn`t get that New Order sound, but can almost nail the Master Of Puppets sound [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X