King Diamond/Entombed/Nocturne, Palo Alto Ca 10.23.03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Diamond/Entombed/Nocturne, Palo Alto Ca 10.23.03

The mighty King Diamond recently released his newest CD, The Puppet Master last week and kicked off a tour to support it. I've seen the King and Mercyful Fate at least 5-6 times since 1989 or so.

I arrived too late to see the opener Single Bullet Theory. Oh well.

Nocturne took the stage as soon as I arrived. A large crowd had already gathered for the show, which is rare this early at a club show. I didn't care for this band. They had a female singer and a bass player that looked like he came straight from Marilyn Manson's band. The music and sound were okay, just not my cup of tea; I prefer Grandma's tea anyways [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My friend and I drank some beers and tried to pass the time. Celebrity musicians in the crowd included Paul Bostaph, Mike Bordin, and Robert Trujillio; Bordin and Trujillo aren't what I would call "tall" by any stretch of the imagination.

Entombed was next. Again, not my preference. The guitar player with the SG had a HORRIBLE guitar tone. Eliminate all treble and put the ProCo Rat on "suck" mode and you'll have his tone. I went back to the bar after 3 or so songs. They seemed to play forever and ever. It was like I was, I dunno, stuck in a tomb or something...

Finally at 11 freakin PM the lights go down and Funeral from Abigail begins playing over the PA. King comes out on stage and is mouthing the words of Funeral while he stabs a baby doll that he pulled out of Abigail's white coffin.

Then the band rips into A Mansion in Darkness. For the first time ever, King has a backup singer! I'm pretty sure she's the Hungarian woman who sings on the new record. Unfortunately I couldn't hear her too much. Speaking of sound, the sound for the night sucked. The Edge Nightclub used to have flat out awesome sound. First of all, I couln't hear Andy LaRoque for about the first 5-6 songs. Then I can hear Andy, but not Mike Wead, the other guitarist. When I could hear Mike, his tone was so shrill and piercing that I DIDN'T want to hear him anymore. King's voice, however, was amazing and always loud and clear. Hal Patino did a fine job on bass and drummer Matt Thompson is great. I do miss Mikkey Dee though.

For the songs, King played some stuff from Abigail and Abigail II, left the stage for an intermission and played some stuff from Them, Conspiracy (Sleepless Nights!!!!), and the Eye. Just like on the Voodoo tour, a dancing girl on stage played the role of many of King's "characters". She was burned at the stake, cut with a knife, you name it. For the Puppet Master songs she wore a white Phantom of the Opera type mask and King controlled her with puppet strings. Some of this stuff borders on the comical, but you can't fault the guy for really giving it his all on (mostly) ever record and on stage.

Andy LaRocque's playing was great. He played Caparison guitars with EMGs and for the 3rd encore (No Presents Till Christmas) he broke out a BC Rich Warlock. Mike Wead played strathead guitars, some with reverse heads. I'm pretty sure the guitars were missing logos and some of them had pretty beat up bodies and finishes. Mike Wead's leads weren't anything stellar and he sounded a bit sloppy and off key at times.

I bought a shirt and a signed tour book (supposedly only 250 or so were signed). The shirts available can be seen here: (I bought the one at the top of the page)

http://www.covenworldwide.org/shirts2003.htm

When King first hit the stage, the band played behind these iron gates. After the first song, I was annoyed with having to watch the band through bars and I think it really took away from their performance. Finally after about 5-6 songs, the gates were removed. I was glad to have 3 encores but was upset the most about the somewhat crappy sound.

Here's my rating:
    Performance :4 out of 5 stars
    Setlist: 4.5 out of 5 stars
    Sound: 3 out of 5 stars

Here's a link to some pics from another show but the Palo Alto show pretty much looked the same:

http://closedcoffin.com/kingdiamond.htm

Re: King Diamond/Entombed/Nocturne, Palo Alto Ca 10.23.03

I bought puppet master on Saturday...it does rock better than the last one. My wife and are going to the show on Nov. 17 in Tampa. Thanks for the review...I'll skip the opening acts. Also the links to the pics were great. now wifey will be even more excited. She loves KD...it's pretty funny because she's an elementary school teacher. The last time we saw Merciful Fate, Ricky Martin was playing the same night. This one death metal dude came up to her (she was still dressed from work in her flood pants and chalkboard vest - hey she's kinda nerdy) and said, "This isn't Ricky Martin." Kim, my wife, replied, "I know...Merciful Fate rocks!!" Then she gave him the devil horn salute with both hands. He walked away laughing.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm still trying to get my wife to attend a KD show. I almost bought her a KD babydoll shirt. She's been to a bunch of metal shows with me: Slayer, Metallica, etc. I usually get a her a shirt from all the concerts I attend.

Comment

Mercyful Fate
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
        X